Thule 400xt vs Yakima Q towers- Mtbr.com
    Squalor
    Jan 2004

Thule 400xt vs Yakima Q towers

Who has used both and what do you think?

LP

code: mtbr2011
    our shop has sold and installed both for years, but ultimately, this is a coke vs. pepsi decision for me.
    ease of install: neither of the towers is that difficult to assemble, but with the q towers, if you don't assemble them on a level surface, you could have 1 tower spin a few degrees so that it won't rest level on the roof surface.
    installing on the car, the q tower takes a little bit more finesse. the 400xt will click when it's tightened, while the q tower has notches on the cam that you line up visually to determine whether or not each side is even.
    both bar systems should have a slight bow in the crossbar to indicate if they are tight....that and wrenching on it from side to side on the car.

strength...total toss up. the 165lb load limit for each is because beyond that, you risk damaging the roof of the vehicle. we have seen some pretty amazing stuff loaded on top of these racks well beyond the 200lb mark. use discretion if you're making a trip to home depot.

for me, it comes down to the accessories that i'm going to be mounting. if you like the yakima sprocket rocket for a fork mount, i'd choose yakima....if you like the thule sidearm for the roof, then i'd choose thule.

thule is coming out with a brand new tower, the traverse tower, and it's designed to revolutionize the naked roof base racks. easiest install, and strongest install of any are among the features being touted, and we do know that it will have a whole bunch of new fits that haven't been available, like newer audis, 09 and newer matrix, etc...

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    You can mix/match to some degree. I preferred the Yakima round bars and Q Towers, but had a very strong preference for the Thule Sidearm bike mount. The Thule bolts right up to the Yakima bars no problem.

Members who have read this thread: 0