Three Bikes mounted inside Vibe/Matrix- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Three Bikes mounted inside Vibe/Matrix

First off, reference this thread:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=375008
    What I have built is just a copy of the OP's genius. Thanks for the inspriation!

Just wanted to post photos of the three bikes and let you know about room for extras.

Bike on left is a size 21 Motobecane, middle (red) one is my son's 15" Dawes and the right one is my other son's youth (24") Diamondback. The 21 has to have the seat post removed, but the other two do not. The front wheels will fit between the bikes or, as pictured, behind the back seat passenger. Other gear like camelbaks and tools/pump can be stowed around the mounting brackets.

If we are going to drive to a trail for a day's ride, we can all three fit and take only my car. That amazes me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cheezy Rider
    That is impressive.

mtbr member

3rd Rider on Roof?

Yes, I'm a wise arsh at times............

mtbr member
    That is a great idea with that board and fork mount set up!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Looks like only half the backseat is folded down, so the 3rd rider has a place to sit...

Awesome setup. I wonder if the same setup would work in my station wagon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yes, the seat folds 2/3 and 1/3.

ballbuster

That's pretty dang cool

I'm considering a Matrix for my next family/bike hauler.

I'm not a big fan of Toyota in the way they feel, but I think that might be less important to me than having a well built, reliable, good performing, roomy car that gets good mileage, and has space for bikes.

What kind of real world mileage do you get in that thing? I saw the EPA estimates were for 35 highway, which would be great if it really did that well in the real world.

Also, this is one of the few roomy cars still available in a stick.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The mileage is upper 20's for in town only, 31ish for mix and 35 for hiway only. That's with the automatic. I had an 03 vibe with a stick and the best i ever got out of it was 36.

mtbr member
    Awesome I think I'll go trade my pos Honda Element for a Matrix....the new ones look even better. I'll go with the xr model and the 2.4l engine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I love my Vibe GT. Even in GT trim w/ a K&N Typhoon intake (installed by previous owner) I was getting about 32mpg on the highway on my most recent trip. If I fold the seats down I can fit my road bike without even taking a wheel off of it. Great bike hauler, and a lot of fun to drive.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    that's impressive feat to cram in 3 bikes. where do the other 2 riders sit?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Driver's seat, front passenger seat and rear seat behind driver. Its a split folding system in the vibe/matrix. Left seat only or middle and right seats together will fold.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    sweet that is almost as good as fitting 6 people + 4 bikes in the back of my taurus wagon + 2 bikes on the trunk style rack. all the extra gear, wheels were piled around the bikes in the back.

lets just say i was a lowrider.
    aaaa the poor college years

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot

I'm not a big fan of Toyota in the way they feel, but I think that might be less important to me than having a well built, reliable, good performing, roomy car that gets good mileage, and has space for bikes.

What kind of real world mileage do you get in that thing? I saw the EPA estimates were for 35 highway, which would be great if it really did that well in the real world.

I am coming from a "05 3 series bmw 5 manual, I have the Matrix XRS 180 hp 6 manual. I drive mostly in the city, 1st thru 4th gear only. and highway on the weekend to the trail head. city only I get about 24 mpg, with one day freeway to the trial head. I get 27 mpg combined. it'll probably get low 30's if I drove the highways more often. it does have enough power to win on highway on ramp contest over normal cars, such as a camry, or anything lesser. no it is not a race car at all.

No it does not feel the same as the Beemer, It is fun to drive, handles good at low speed. It leans a lot on hi speed turns. and full throttle turns it will push out. so far it is very dependable, the door locks, head and fog lites turn on automatically, it has a power moon roof, power side mirrors, has an outside thermometer and reception and stereo is better than the bmw. oh yeah the shifter by japanese auto standards is clunky, but compared to my bmw it is 100 percent better. I'm going to convert over my Thule roof racks to fit the Matrix. but for single bikes I just throw them in the back, slam the hatch and go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot

MPG is much better than a POS Honda Element even the new 2.4l.

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    I can do 4 downhill bikes with riders, wheels still on, all with enough room to stretch out, all inside Minivan=win.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ChromedToast
    I can do 4 downhill bikes with riders, wheels still on, all with enough room to stretch out, all inside Minivan=win.
    I LOVE the idea of taking the wife's new Dodge Grand Caravan and converting it to a bike hauler, but she's not so keen on it. So I'll stick with the vibe and its 30+ mpg for now

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jdub71
    I LOVE the idea of taking the wife's new Dodge Grand Caravan and converting it to a bike hauler, but she's not so keen on it. So I'll stick with the vibe and its 30+ mpg for now
    It really is a thing of beauty, I have put more miles on my moms van then my Subaru Outback. My bike haulers have included a Honda Civic, Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and Honda Element. I wish I still had the Civic, which was the 2nd car owned. The main reason I went bigger and bigger with vehicles is I got tired of loading downhill bikes on the roof.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    What are the fixtures that hold the forks on the wood piece? I can't tell from the photo. This looks brilliant.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    DUDE! Thats Car-azay! I still can't think how that would work...

Members who have read this thread: 1