Thoughts on the new Honda Fit- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Thoughts on the new Honda Fit

I'm liking the Honda Fits and they've gotten superb ratings. Any owners out there and experiences?

mtbr member
    I love my Honda Fit....would buy another in a heartbeat. I needed a car that could economically handle my 130 mile round trip daily commute, haul bikes (inside or on the roof), and enough cargo room for week long camping/bike trips. The Fit fits the bill perfectly. I've owned mine for a year and 2 months (09' model) and I have 46k on it already!

mtbr member
    Geared up on a week long MTB tour of Vermont....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on the new Honda Fit-picture-876.jpg  

Thoughts on the new Honda Fit-picture-884.jpg  

Thoughts on the new Honda Fit-picture-889.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    real nice car. did you get any extras when you bought it?

mtbr member
    It's the sport model....I guess the only extras were the rubber floor mats

mtbr member
    Love mine, too. Got a 2010 Fit Sport. Good mileage, fun to drive, easily fits a couple bikes in the back with front wheel off. It ain't fancy or nothing, but it's perfect for all my needs.

Curious to see how it does in the snow this winter...

mtbr member
    What are you guys getting for mileage?

mtbr member
    Best I've done yet is 41.5 mpg strictly highway driving. That's doing about 65. Doing 75ish, I'll get about 38 on the highway. When I'm stuck doing around town stuff, I get 26-30, and I typically get about 33-36 for mixed town/highway driving (most of what I do).

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    decisions decisions. honda fit, nissan xterra, or nissan frontier.

Let the good times roll.
    That's an interesting range of options. economy hatch, SUV, and small pickup.

About the Fit, it's a really great car. A few of my friends have them and love them. I almost bought one myself a few months ago. The Fit has solid handling, a nice transmission (MT), great fuel efficiency, and a very practical interior. All for a great price too. My only complaint is the lack of power. Highway acceleration and passing on back roads takes a bit more effort than I like. I probably would have still gotten one though if I had been able to find one with a manual transmission. Seems like there was a shortage when I was car shopping.

The Frontier would be great for MTB. Get a fork mount rack that bolts to the bed (or a few if you have multiple bikes), and you'll be in business. Muddy gear can also go in the back no problem.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I just bought the base 5 speed in blue 3 months ago. I just drove from Vermont to Georgia and back and the car is very comfortable on long trips. Getting a consistent 40MPG and the bikes fit nicely in the back with the seats down. My base was $15k at the local dealer and 0.9% financing so very affordable. My only complaint so far is that the car should have a 6 speed OD trans for highway cruising. At 60 mph the engine is turning 3K RPM which is high and may reduce engine life. And I wish there was an outside temp gauge so I know when it's warm enough to ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyivo
    I just bought the base 5 speed in blue 3 months ago. I just drove from Vermont to Georgia and back and the car is very comfortable on long trips. Getting a consistent 40MPG and the bikes fit nicely in the back with the seats down. My base was $15k at the local dealer and 0.9% financing so very affordable. My only complaint so far is that the car should have a 6 speed OD trans for highway cruising. At 60 mph the engine is turning 3K RPM which is high and may reduce engine life. And I wish there was an outside temp gauge so I know when it's warm enough to ride!
    60 mph at 3K rpm? i do 35 mile trips every other day at 65-70. would it hold up?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    That is the question...

mtbr member
    My wife has a Fit and really likes it. Great commuter car and makes a good family road trip when we are not taking much gear. Most of the time if we are camping or hauling gear (whitewater boats or bikes) we have to take my Element for extra room (especially if the dogs are coming).

The only complaint I have about the Fit is lack of leg room. At 6' 2" and around 33" of inseam, my knee basically rests touching the bottom of the dash. This is not terribly comfortable and I am likely to be in a world of hurt in an accident.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by boley
    The only complaint I have about the Fit is lack of leg room. At 6' 2" and around 33" of inseam, my knee basically rests touching the bottom of the dash. This is not terribly comfortable and I am likely to be in a world of hurt in an accident.
    Dude at 6'2" with 33" inseam that's actually very good legroom for a B-segment subcompact. I'm only 6' with 31" inseam and tend to have my knee resting on the dash of a lot of cars.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I really like the Honda Fit and think it is a superb subcompact but since the Ford Fiesta has arrived and the Mazda2 I would give those serious consideration if I were you, especially the Fiesta- it's been the darling of the 5-door B-segments overseas for quite some time.

psycho cyclo addict
    I went for the Crosstour instead... other than the fact that I cannot exceed 30 MPG, I love it.

My large HT and other 29er fits inside no probelmo (I have to lower the seatpost a bit).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bwheelin
    60 mph at 3K rpm? i do 35 mile trips every other day at 65-70. would it hold up?

The automatic doesn't rev that high on the highway.....I cruise 70 at about 2500. I have a 130mile highway commute that includes Boston traffic on a daily basis so the manual tranny wasn't even a consideration (it would be brutal in traffic). I say if you do mostly around town driving, go with a manual....highway, definitely an automatic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX
    I really like the Honda Fit and think it is a superb subcompact but since the Ford Fiesta has arrived and the Mazda2 I would give those serious consideration if I were you, especially the Fiesta- it's been the darling of the 5-door B-segments overseas for quite some time.
    from a looks standpoint i like the honda fit the most. i don't like the looks of the ford fiesta at all but i'm sure it's solid.

mtbr member
    About the temp guage......it's never too cold to ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSumner13
    Geared up on a week long MTB tour of Vermont....
    my fit is a twin to yours..... except my windows are tinted & my roof rack is further forward!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    At 60 mph the engine is turning 3K RPM which is high and may reduce engine life.
    I just read this- it's a small displacement Honda engine, I think it is probably happy cruising at 3k.

mtbr member
    I have an 06 Civic 5 speed 60,000 miles. I often wonder about the highway speed RPM. I run 3k at 68/69. My wife's accord runs at 2500 at 70 with the auto. I think they need to put a better gear in 5 or make it a 6 speed trans. We are looking at the Fit for her next ride so I can get my truck to haul a camper.
    2009 ASPECT 20
    2011 Rockhopper 29er

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    I have a 2008 base Fit that I use for work. I'm a hotshot courier and put around 300 - 400 miles on it per day inlcuding the weekend. It has over 150,000 miles on it and I've only had to replace one mechanical part which was an ignition coil. The Fit is super reliable and drives great. I average 38 miles per gallon driving in and around downtown Houston but can sometimes achieve 40 mpg on a long trip on the highway. The only complaints I have are the excessive road noise and the not-so-plush suspension. I will be installing Dynamat or something similar soon to kill the road noise but there's not much I can do with the ride quality.

As for biking I can fit two bikes inside if I take their front wheels off but normally I use a Yakima King Joe rack that hangs off the back. I've held 3 bikes with the rack on long trips and it works great. I've also had 6 full grown men all of them 200 plus pounds in the car for short trips. Two up front, three in the middle, and on in the cargo area. Nearly bottomed out the car but she ran although slowly.

My only real regreat is not buying the Sport model for the cruise control and the aux input for an mp3 player. I've sinced added both plus bought the remote lock/unlock kit that was super easy to install. I do prefer the 14 inch wheels on the base fit as they are very cheap at a local store but I will admit that 15 inch wheels probably provide a better quality ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If you're not in a hurry to buy, as an alternative you may want to consider the 2012 Ford Focus. It should do Fit-like gas mileage while being substantially larger and more powerful.

mtbr member
    I had an '08 sport with a manual gearbox. Sold it last year with 33k miles to get something bigger. Only issue was a recall on a window switch and I also had a seatbelt buckle replaced as it was very difficult to click when the car was brand new.

Good: handling, mileage - 35 mpg lifetime for me, cheap to own, gearbox, interior space, stereo

Not good: paint chips easily on front, road noise, interior attracts dirt like no car I have ever seen, noisy engine, interior cheapness, looks

Overall it was probably the best car I have ever owned. Dont know of any other car that can fit 3 bikes inside with 3 riders and still get 35+ mpg's. Snappy car to drive in the city/suburbia, but I didn't care for it on the highway.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Here is my girlfriends 2009 Fit.

It's loaded up with food, gear, and 5 bikes for a long 5 day weekend.

We had 2 FS XC bikes for putting some miles on, 2 FS AM bikes for having a bit of fun on, and then she also had her XC hardtail race bike for an event she was doing up at Marquette, MI.

Everything fit really well, and with the hitch rack, gas mileage was only effected slightly...we still got ~30mpg.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on the new Honda Fit-img_0122-2.jpg  

Thoughts on the new Honda Fit-img_0123-2.jpg  

mtbr member

Members who have read this thread: 0