Thoughts/experiences with Sportrack 4EZ or Swagman XC4?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Thoughts/experiences with Sportrack 4EZ or Swagman XC4?

Looking to buy new 4 bike rack for our van. I originally looked at Swagman XC2+2 and Swagman XC4. I am concerned about ground clearance, so I started leaning to the XC4, however, I am turned off by the fact that it cannot easily fold like the XC2 + 2

I found the Sportrack 4EZ which looks to fit the bill. Bikes ride higher than the XC4, it folds up, and it is within my budget. I'm just looking for any comments on build quality or with experiences from anyone who has one. I've been able to find plenty of comments on the Swagman (at least the XC2 + 2), but not too much about the Sportrack 4EZ.

Looking to make decision quickly so please add your comments!

Thanks in advance, everyone.
    Last edited by m_mcgover; 08-15-2007 at 08:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    My buddy has a 4EZ, we carry 4 downhill bikes, two around 40 pounds, 2 around 50 pounds. Works great, its heavy and sticks out quite a bit, but is simple in design. For heavy bikes or bikes with really sloped tubes we find we have to adjust the support arm every once in a while. The bikes do sway a bit, but as long as you watch out for handlebars and brake levers then they will never touch each other, lighter bikes wouldn't really have as much issue, but never anything to worry about. The wheel hoops work great, nice and sturdy, the velcro wheel straps do the job as well. Every arm and wheel hoop can be independently adjusted so it will fit almost any bike. It would be better if the frame hoops worked on a ratched mechanism, but you just have to tighten the wing knob firmly. We find if we preload the bikes a bit and then tighten the knob it works much better. I have a 2ez and i love it. We have used it on many 10 hour trips. I wouldn't suggest leaving it on when your driving around unless you have too. I don't think he has done any maintenance to it and has had it for about a year now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Do these racks obstruct the tail lights with 4 bikes racked? I have a F150 and I am concerned about any 4 bike rack covering the brake lights.

Members who have read this thread: 0