For those with T2 or holdup and 29er's- Mtbr.com
    DAAAAAAMMMMMMNNNNNN
    Jan 2004

For those with T2 or holdup and 29er's

Do you have and issue with the sliding clamp that holds the front wheel? Is the 29er front wheel too tall to let it clamp down properly? I bought the Thule insta-gater for my truck a couple years back and had to take it back cause the 29er wheel was too big for the clamp to slide down. Box said it would fit a 29er. Just wondering if this is the case with either of these hitch mounted racks.

mtbr member
    My road bike with 700c wheels fit.

Peace & Love
    for the T2 with the REAR tire sliding pice, its simple...put front wheel "arm" all the way down, put bike wheels in both front and rear holders....tilt entire bike forward (towards car)....pull up front wheel arm till the hook is about where the top of the wheel in front of the fork/headtube would be...pull bike back upright and voilla. This prevent you from having to force the front wheel hook up and over the 29er front tire which depending on the tire, can be very tricky even though yes, they says its 29er compatible

DAAAAAAMMMMMMNNNNNN
    Jan 2004
    Yeah my road bike wheel fit also. I am talking about a 29er rim with say Racing Ralph 2.4. Gonna take one my bikes to REI to see if it's gonna work.

Just Joshin' ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    for the T2 with the REAR tire sliding pice, its simple...put front wheel "arm" all the way down, put bike wheels in both front and rear holders....tilt entire bike forward (towards car)....pull up front wheel arm till the hook is about where the top of the wheel in front of the fork/headtube would be...pull bike back upright and voilla. This prevent you from having to force the front wheel hook up and over the 29er front tire which depending on the tire, can be very tricky even though yes, they says its 29er compatible
    Yes, FoShizzle is right. You have to use this little trick to get in a 29er. It is totally stupid that Thule didn't figure this out and I wondered what the hell 29er they tested their rack on, but nonetheless, if you do the trick talked about above, it works.

Just one more reason why 29ers suck. Just kidding. I love all bikes.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

Raider of the Lost Creek
    Using the Yakima Holdup here. Works with our two Felt 29ers without any issues.

Switch
    "Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and higher education positively fortifies it."

code: mtbr2011
    keep an eye out for the new thule 916xt....this is going to include the stl2 and a 2 pack of lock cylinders for $419.95 msrp.
    the sidearm (roof mounted version of the t2) is going to ahve a longer ratchet to accomodate 29er wheels, but i do not know if that is a design element being incorporated into the 916xt t2...
    i do not know about any changes to the holdup design from yakima....except that the price has decreased for the 2433 holdup.

expect these new thule products sometime mid march....

p.m....me if you would like me to notify you of the release. we will be watching very closely to get these new parts in as soon as they are available.

jrm
    mtbr member

I have to lean on it

i brace my arm on the top of the hook and just add my body weight till i get one or two rachets

Elitest thrill junkie
    No problems with 2.3 tires on my Karate Monkey and T2
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    A little muscle and it is just fine. I get two clicks.

DAAAAAAMMMMMMNNNNNN
    Jan 2004
    Hey thanks guys for all the help, gonna go with the T2. I just didn't want to spend the cash on something that only holds baby wheels (26'). LATER!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    For what it's worth, I've had two Insta-gators and a Sidearm and never had a problem getting a 29er to mount with big tires. The Sidearm needed a little wiggle, but the Gator has plenty of room leftover.

DAAAAAAMMMMMMNNNNNN
    Jan 2004
    Yeah the Insta-Gator I had was the one for the back of my truck bed which attached to the tailgate and the tail gate had to be up for it to work which pushed the wheel back not allowing enough room for the ratchet to work. Worked with my road bike but the 29er tires were too big.

I live to bike
    works with both my 29ers with a variety of tires, never had to use any tricks.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have a 29er with a 2.35" tire on the front and it goes in my T2 no problem.

Members who have read this thread: 0