Thinking of buying a 06 Jetta- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Cool-blue Rhythm Thinking of buying a 06 Jetta

What would be the best rack for a Jetta? I currently have a Jeep but going to down size and want and need a roof rack. Suggestions??

Head First
    Before you buy a Jetta, I'd read consumer reports annual auto edition for 2008. Just saying.

ballbuster

Yeah....

Quote Originally Posted by Beolin
    Before you buy a Jetta, I'd read consumer reports annual auto edition for 2008. Just saying.

I love VWs, but I would avoid the 4cyl turbo. The 2.5l 5 cyl non-turbo is solid, WFIU.

IMO, the only way to fly is a hitch rack, but that's me. Nothing touching the paint, although VW paint is super thick and tough, giving you lots of room to buff out marks from the racks.

l i v i n'
    Stay away from a Jetta, if you plan on keeping it past 60k in mileage. My wife and I owned a 2003 Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg. We loved the car, always did synthetic oil, premium gas, the works. Sure enough the warranty expires at 50k and all went to hell. At 55K the check engine light came, the diagnostics came back as the crank position sensor. To get the part out of the car you have to dismantle the front end. With the car apart we did the 60K maintenance timing belt, fluids, vale gasket cover, the works in the end we spend 3 grand to make the car new again as we wanted to keep it.
    Last week I was driving the car and the front end was squeaking when we turned and hit bumps at slow speed. The mechanic and I went through the car an it was control arm bushing another hefty bill.
    Long story short we sold the car and got a nissan pathfinder... if you go vw hopefully you will have better luck than we did. We loved the car we just couldn't afford to keep dishing out the cash to keep it up.
    l i v i n'

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    vw's are pretty consistently rated the worst quality cars you can buy. you'd have to have a REAL big hardon for vws to suffer through ownership. basically any other car would be a better buy.

unless you go diesel, 50mpg kinda makes up for everything else.

Aquaman

My 2 cents

Well I have an opinion on several things. First of all I will always buy a used car over a new car. You get more bang for your dollar. Second if you REALLY want a Jetta then get one, but keep in mind they do not have the best service record, they are made in Mexico. If you really want a VW I would go with a Passat, Made in Germany still....I think. They are way more reliable and cooler if you are into that. The Passat comes in a nice diesel version but that gets more $$$. As far as the rack. I would go for the hitch rack myself….. they are great. Easy to load and unload. If you are worried about getting rear ended insurance will cover it, so long your bike is itemized. If you have a bike worth a **** you should. Oh ya if you want some tips on buying a used car pm me.

Ratings look pretty good to me...
    http://www.edmunds.com/used/2006/volkswagen/index.html

Derailleurless
    We just bought an '06 30K Jetta TDI (turbo diesel) to replace the wife's wrecked Corolla. The '06 redesign gets better marks than the earlier version, which had various fit and finish concerns, including power windows that failed by falling into the door, and early timing belt changes.

From what I researched prior to buying, the '06 is completely redesigned, and is a much more substantial and reliable vehicle. VW sunk big dollars into the Mexico assembly plant to increase the amount of robotic welding performed, and help the plant assemble "kits" to ship to asian and african locations to "build" other versions of the Jetta for those regions.

The TDI engine gets high marks for longevity, even from owners of prior-generation Jettas. The 50 MPG fuel economy is very real -- we managed 45 MPG at 80 MPH on our trip back from Phoenix where we purchased the car, and then 52 MPG for the second part of the trip at at more reasonable speeds.

Can't comment on the gasoline version of the Jetta, as I didn't research it one bit, but other than the engine and possibly the tranny (ours is the 5-speed manual), all else should be identical (suspension, brakes, unibody, interior).

I'm considering one of three hitches eTrailer.com is showing available for this car, though I'm undecided as we have a wagon that is our primary bike carrier. However, at half the fuel consumption, the Jetta with a hitch rack might make sense for certain trips.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    diesel is the only way to go for a VW. the diesel ones are awesome. im sort of looking for a diesel turbo golf.

Ratings look pretty good to me...
    http://www.edmunds.com/used/2006/volkswagen/index.html
    those are peoples subjective reviews of the car. check out things like average problems per unit and downtime. vw's are up there for the most problems per vehicle.. the turbo gasoline engines tend to be most problematic.

Wanderer
    I wouldn't get an '06. I know several people who have that year and the cars have tons of problems. In fact, every single person I know that bought an '06 has gotten rid of it by now. I have an '03 GTI with the turbo engine and even mine (while fun as all hell) has more problems than it should (much less than '06 tho). I think fondly back to my Mazda or Acura which both pretty much never had any problems.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmike247
    What would be the best rack for a Jetta? I currently have a Jeep but going to down size and want and need a roof rack. Suggestions??
    I currently own two deisel Volkswagons. The 2000 Golf has over 355,000 km (221,000mi) with very few problems. The 2001 Jetta has 160,000km (100,000mi) and again few problems. We have had both cars since new and will definetly buy Volkswagon again.

As for the bike rack, I have the roof rack for the golf and love it. I will say that my wife would rather have a rack on a hitch.

mtbr member
    GOD NO! For the love of Frank Sinatra just save yourself!

I've owned a slew of VWs, including 3 Jettas. I LOVE the cars. The problem is the mechanics though. The absolute worst thing you can do to a VW is take it to the dealer for service. That leaves you with small garages which are hit or miss. It seems like they are either as crooked as the dealers or if they do work they are always busy and difficult to get your car into.

One day the scars of Mk3 and Mk4 ownership will heal and I'll buy another VW, but it will be air cooled.

ballbuster

I don't think....

Quote Originally Posted by ffwlwhite
    ...., they are made in Mexico. If you really want a VW I would go with a Passat,
    ... Mexico vs. Germany makes a difference. The Mexican Golfs and Jettas had the same reliability of the German made ones... and they both existed in this country at the same time.

Most of the faults lie in improperly speced materials, like the cracking window clips (made from a plastic that got brittle when heated to 130F, which there was a recall, and if you didn't get them replaced, its your own dang fault), bad coil packs (also recalled) or in design errors.

Passats had a problem with the 1.8l turbo engines blowing up because the owners, and sometimes dealers violated the factory specs and used conventional motor oil instead of synthetic... combined with an oil pan that was too small (design flaw). Those issues were addressed in changes to the maintenance schedule, and extending the warranties.

My last 4 cars have been water cooled VWs, and every one had a few issues, but ony one major one. My '79 Scirocco was the first year they did a 5 speed manual, and the 5th gear broke some teeth at 140k miles. A buck fitty GTi close ratio transmission from a junk yard and it went to 310k miles before I sold it.

My current GTi just turned over to 206k miles and still runs nice and tight.

Drunken fool
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelonius71
    GOD NO! For the love of Frank Sinatra just save yourself!

I've owned a slew of VWs, including 3 Jettas. I LOVE the cars. The problem is the mechanics though. The absolute worst thing you can do to a VW is take it to the dealer for service. That leaves you with small garages which are hit or miss. It seems like they are either as crooked as the dealers or if they do work they are always busy and difficult to get your car into.

One day the scars of Mk3 and Mk4 ownership will heal and I'll buy another VW, but it will be air cooled.
    We have an 02 Jetta TDI, car has 120k miles on it now. We have had every single known issue happen to it. Window clips breaking while driving thru Colorado in the winter time- twice, bad MAF, EGR, Coolant migration, miswired factory radio, wax leakage at the doors, shoddy interior fit and finish, .. and the worst imho was the faulty airbag sensor that went out at about 60k. That of course was a dealer only item, no one else could diagnose or fix it. That was $1k to fix. I know there were other issues, I just can't recall all of them now. The dealers are the worst to deal with and are mostly incompentent when it comes to TDI's. Luckily we finally found a good local independent shop. I will never buy another VW, we bought this one for the diesel engine and got the VW "quality" that came along with it.

Now as to the OP, We have a Yak rack on it with three lockjaw bike mounts and the big powder hound snowboard mounts. I love the rack and it has held up well. The rack is about 15 years old and has been on 3 different cars so far.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    I love VWs, but I would avoid the 4cyl turbo. The 2.5l 5 cyl non-turbo is solid, WFIU.
    Say what? What's wrong with the 2 liter turbo in the latest generation VWs?

My '06 GLI has given me over 31,000 trouble-free miles so far. Yes, I put synthetic motor oil in it and I only put premium fuel in it. The engine is amazing and it gets decent mileage (34 MPG on a recent trip). My previous car was a '98 Jetta TDI and it had one major flaw that resulted in me getting rid of it: the nut behind the wheel lost control of it in the rain and totalled it at over 186,000 trouble-free miles. Had I not lost control of it that fateful day I would still be driving that car today. Did I mention that I ran a chip, larger nozzles, and a few other mods on the engine? Only real problem I had with that car was the coolant dumped on me on the freeway one day on my way home. I drove it home without any coolant in the engine and it got me there, about 15 miles. Turns out that when I replaced the water pump (not needed but it was recommended that I replace it so I did it) I didn't get one of the hoses on right and two days later it let go. What other chronic problems did I have with that car? Oh, yeah, it went through tires and brake pads faster than any other car that I have ever owned. The torque from the modifications I had on the car meant that lighting up the front tires was easy to do with a heavy right foot and stopping from speed burned through the brake pads pretty quickly. Oh, yeah, I regularly got 40 MPG despite driving it aggressively all the time. I loved that car.

The latest version of the Jetta, Golf, and Passat are probably the best built VWs ever. The fit and finish is very good and they seem to have gotten the design good to begin with. The Mk IV cars were plagued with problems and only the last of the Mk IIIs were reliable, as far as I can tell.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I would steer clear of an 06, if for no other reason than it was a first model year car.

I rented a bare bones 2007 Jetta 2.5 auto, I was very impressed. Ride quality was great, car felt very solid. It did suck the gas, however. 25 mpg. I would suggest a 2.0T Jetta, non GLI. You have more power and better mileage with the 4 banger turbo.

Now, my 02 TDI has been a gem. A few SES lights for petty things ($8 sensor, $12 sensor, $20 glow plug). Its got injectors, tuning and still gets 45 mpg. I recently made a 500 mile round trip to Central Cal....On the way up, I averaged 86 mph (including a potty stop) and the car still got 46 mpg.

They can be problematic cars, but if you keep an eye on things, it tends to help.

mtbr member
    I won't slam VW for quality, though I know they deserve it at times. No, all the problems I've had were dealer related. I had really good luck with the A2 body VWs. I can even say that everyone I knew who had them had good luck with the cars. The A3 body really seemed to be a turning point for VW. The only thing that went up more than the price tag on that car was the rate of defect.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsteve
    I would steer clear of an 06, if for no other reason than it was a first model year car.
    The Mk V Jetta came out in North America in '05 making the '06 the second year. They've been out in Europe as the Golf for a few years before that so they've certainly had time to iron out some of the wrinkles before they hit our shores.

Members who have read this thread: 0