Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Think twice before going for 1UP racks

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to share my experience with 1UP... As many of you here I was looking for a bike rack, considering the thread of boy1dr:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/car-biker/1up...ew-602461.html

I was looking into the Thule, Yakima and 1UP when 1UP is the most expensive one.

I thought a lot about it and I liked the fact it's a small US company and not one of the made in china ones.

I was looking at the Double Bicycle Quik Rack 2" Hitch Carrier (Black) and the Double Bicycle Quik Rack 2" Hitch Carrier (Silver) ones.

When I was looking on the website it said that the black one is on back order. The only one that was available is the silver one. I also read that any purchase over $500 would be sent via UPS in 4-5 days.

I ordered my rack on Monday 07/2114 and I got my confirmation via email. A few days go by and I'm not getting any tracking email so I decided to give them a call. I called them on Thursday and they said and I quote "Yeah it takes a few days to process the order and we'll send it soon". When I asked them to speed up the process they said they ship it that day and that it'll take 4-5 days to deliver (that was on Thursday 07/24/14).

Yesterday, Monday 07/28/14 ( a week after I ordered and paid) I got an email saying that the package is on its way and that the ETA is Friday 08/01/14 but that might change. So I emailed the company and asked them to correct their screw up and change the delivery method to a faster one (1-2 days).

I got a call today from them and the guy on the phone made me feel like he's doing me a favor that he's even calling me! He said there's nothing they can do and they would not expense the faster delivery method even though agreeing they messed up.
    According to him "they ship out as soon as they can which takes time and varies"

Now here's my dilemma:
    We're going away this weekend to Tahoe and we were planning on taking our bikes with us.
    Should I wait for the delivery and hope it gets here on time?
    Should I just cancel this order and go get one of the options my LBS has here?

I mean if this is how they treat their customers when I purchase the rack what kind of treatment would I get when I'll need support for it? Or if anything goes bad with it?

IMHO this is not a way to treat your customers!

They charge my credit card right away (same day I bought it) - I asked them well how would you feel if I told you, I'll pay you when I can?!

Very poor customer support and very poor business conduct.

Please let me know what you think...

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    this doesnt sound too out of the ordinary for shipping. its frustrating not getting things quickly, but if their stuff is on backorder it sounds like they are moving high volume, which slows the whole thing down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    That's the thing though... There was no indication it was on back order. The black one was on back order not the silver one.

I noticed today that they added a remark saying the silver one is on back order too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Take a chill pill, welcome to internet ordering. There's a reason why stuff at local shops cost more.

If 1up is behind on shipping, they should put a disclaimer on their website that orders take x amount of days to process. Taking 5 business days to process isn't unheard of when ordering online.

Most people have been pretty happy with 1up customer service, how many racks out there offer a full 60 day refund with paid return shipping. Your title is misleading, it should really say, think twice about ordering from 1up if you want fast service.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Well first of all the local shops are cheaper here...
    Second of all I wanted to support a small business and not one of giants (Yakima and Thule).

My point is exactly that... There was no disclaimer at the time I was ordering.
    I don't know where you order stuff online but I do a lot of online shopping and usually get the deliveries as per the advertisements.

Reading other threads in this section of the forum clearly shows I'm not the only one...

I just think it should be clearer, that's all.

Something like:
    1. Call 1UP and verify it's in stock.
    2. Make sure that if you pay today you processing will take place the same day or the day after.
    3. Make sure to follow up and get a tracking number from UPS.

Kind of takes the whole convenience of ordering online.

I don't know, maybe I should take a chill pill.

I was under the impression that it'll be an easy task.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yea, you should take a chill pill. You seem a bit PO'd right now, all that stress isn't really good for you.

I've been ordering EVERYTHING online because i'm always too busy with a toddler and work to go shopping. I literally order diapers online, some groceries, everything!!! Amazon Prime is a life saver.

I've been ordering online since the late 90's when the internet was just catching on. 2-5 days to process was normal back then. Today, we've been spoiled by companies like amazon, to where if we order before 2pm and it doesn't ship the same day, we get upset. I still order stuff online and have it take 1-3 days to process. Hasn't been 5 days in a long time, but it's not a completely unreasonable time IMO. Check the tracking number again, if it says friday on UPS's website, it'll most likely come friday, only had them deliver late last december due to christmas.

While your experience may be an indication of customer service, or merely the lack thereof in the shipping department. The real customer service happens after the fact when you are unsatisfied with the product itself, or a problem occurs and the companies willingness to help you with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Wow, my experience with them has been the opposite. First off, their racks are incredible and an order of magnitude better designed than any others out there having owned both Yakima, and Kuat hitch racks. Their website does not do the rack justice. I was torn between the 11/4" and 2" racks and they were prompt in responding to my e-mails and when I called were quite helpful. My orders have arrived within a few days with no issues. The racks are so much better than anything out there, that I think you would regret cancelling your order, particularly if you look at their racks in person. I would give them another chance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    This is part of ordering stuff off the internet, especially from those smaller companies. **** happens.

This is also why if I need something before going on a trip or in a rush, I NEVER rely on it being delivered in time. That is just asking for something bad to happen. Granted, I realize that you ordered before your trip, but still...

Also, if it already shipped, how are they supposed to change how it was shipped?

mtbr member
    It does not sound like the cutomer service response was as good as it could have and probably should have been and I certainly understand your frustration, however; it is well worth waiting for and you will really be happy with the product and how simple it is to use.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    So you waited until the last minute to order a product, which you NEEDED for the "big race" this weekend? You gave the company no indication that you wanted the order expidited, so they processed it in the order it was recieved. After the order is placed, you wait a few days and decide to tell them you need it NOW!! When the guy on the phone doesn't offer you a sloblo, you get all pissy and determine that it is THEIR fault YOU didn't inquire about the processing and shipping times prior to ordering?

I 100% understand ordering last minute, and the stress involved when waiting for a product to arrive. One day you will learn when a situation warrants picking up a phone and having a conversation. We all have been in your situation, but what seperates the people who get their sh!t on time, and those who don't, is planning ahead of time, using good communication, and if its a special request, picking up the d@mn phone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

It was clear to me I wasn't dealing with the Apple Store or Amazon Prime when I discovered their product and got one. Associates with same rack seem to feel the same. With that in mind, we've all been very happy. If you like WI bike rack firms, Saris (up the road from 1Up) would be the complement here. Much larger, broad distribution, and great reputation.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    So you waited until the last minute to order a product, which you NEEDED for the "big race" this weekend? You gave the company no indication that you wanted the order expidited, so they processed it in the order it was recieved. After the order is placed, you wait a few days and decide to tell them you need it NOW!! When the guy on the phone doesn't offer you a sloblo, you get all pissy and determine that it is THEIR fault YOU didn't inquire about the processing and shipping times prior to ordering?

I 100% understand ordering last minute, and the stress involved when waiting for a product to arrive. One day you will learn when a situation warrants picking up a phone and having a conversation. We all have been in your situation, but what seperates the people who get their sh!t on time, and those who don't, is planning ahead of time, using good communication, and if its a special request, picking up the d@mn phone.
    Great point and like many said "welcome to the internet". 1Up makes a great product and my friend had the same issue but called after ordering and they took care of him and had great communication in the process. Topic title should be changed too. I agree

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I've ordered three racks from 1Up. The most recent, this month, was a roof tray. Mine was delayed as well, though it showed in stock. I contacted them politely and found there was a delay with the subcontractor who plates the included wrenches.

It's a tiny company making exceptional products here in the US. I understand it can get frustrating when there's a delay, but stuff does happen. Regardless, once you see and use the rack, you likely won't want to use anything else.

SS Pusher Man

Now, now.....he ordered on the 21st.....saw 4-5 day shipping. Now even if they were slow by today's standards and it took 3-3 days to process order, he still should have had it before his trip. Ordering 10 before a trip, is not last minute.

If he have ordered it on Monday the 28th and got pissy about it, then that is different.

I agree with the OP....taking 4-5 days to process an order these days is unaccpetable, no matter how small the company and regardless of the product. Info like that does need to be disclosed prior to payment..
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Dude take a chill pill - I think you're taking it a little too serious. I'm not stressed or anything, just sharing my experience with them.

10 days in today's standards is not the last minute. If for any reason it doesn't get here by Friday I'll just take off the wheels and put the bike in my car.

My whole point is that a customer shouldn't inquire about the processing and shipping time if it's indicated on the web site - I mean that's why we have online shopping after all. Saying that you should have called is like saying you need to drive up there and purchase it in person - both are valid options but don't really apply for online ordering.

I did inquire about the shipment - it was clearly shown on the web site. 4-5 days is acceptable delivery method and if they clearly state that - I believe them.

What was strange to me is that they processed the order for a week and that's what I said was unacceptable - even the guy on the call agreed to that. Now in past scenarios (and I have plenty examples) when a company makes an error they admit it and try to make amends - that was not the case here and that's what boggles my mind.

I personally think that they knew that they don't have the part in stock and still didn't advertise that so that they could retain business. As I mentioned before, I didn't order the black one because it was not in stock - I would probably avoid ordering this one too and just get something from my LBS.

This puts their credibility in test here. They also advertise that if for some reason you don't like the rack in the first 60 days they will send you a prepaid label and free shipment and all money back etc... I wonder if there are any caveats with that and if it takes 61 days to process the return form...

Anyways I opened this thread to share my experience with them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I may be a bit sensitive to the issue because I am a WI resident. I JUST got a two bike 2" from them and I must say I am impressed with the lack of PLASTIC!! All metal, strong, thick, quality stuff.

I don't have much experience with a lot of other racks, but both the thule and Yakima roof racks I have don't hold a candle to the 1up with regards to quality and materials.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I must say there are many folks in the 1Up thread that are wishing for a little quicker delivery. Unfortunately, it's not exactly a situation unique to you. So raising concern is probably warranted, albeit the title is little negatively charged, if you ask me. Revisit this thread after you have the rack for a while...

While 1Up USA have some room for improvement in their communication method, I also think you have to take some responsibility in waiting to order such an important part of your race until 2 weeks before your departure. Especially when others have already expressed some level of frustration in their ordering situation. I understand you are frustrated, but take a step back, signs were there.

FYI I have nothing to do with 1Up USA, never been to WI. But this is the first rack that left me completely satisfied. I've been using numerous bike/ski racks since early 90s, every time wishing for something else, or worse replacing them within a year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Now, now.....he ordered on the 21st.....saw 4-5 day shipping. Now even if they were slow by today's standards and it took 3-3 days to process order, he still should have had it before his trip. Ordering 10 before a trip, is not last minute.

If he have ordered it on Monday the 28th and got pissy about it, then that is different.

I agree with the OP....taking 4-5 days to process an order these days is unaccpetable, no matter how small the company and regardless of the product. Info like that does need to be disclosed prior to payment..

This seems reasonable to me. If they say 4-5 day shipping, I would take that at face value and not expect double + the time.

They better pay attention to this. I've seem many companies with great products ruined by bad business practices and bad customer service. There are many great CHEAPER options out there.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I may be a bit sensitive to the issue because I am a WI resident. I JUST got a two bike 2" from them and I must say I am impressed with the lack of PLASTIC!! All metal, strong, thick, quality stuff.

I don't have much experience with a lot of other racks, but both the thule and Yakima roof racks I have don't hold a candle to the 1up with regards to quality and materials.
    Buddy I didn't say anything about the product or WI... I mean I did order it after all ( I'm all about helping little local/US businesses).

Based on all the reviews here I decided that even though they are a bit more expensive I'd prefer them and not a "made in china" product. Call it patriotic

My only problem was with the customer service... The fact that it took a week to process the order, and after admitting that they screwed up that they didn't try to make amends.

For instance if they would offer something like: "We're sorry we missed you order for a week, we'll deliver it ASAP but the fastest way available to us" I would say no worries **** happens etc.. but they didn't and instead said there's nothing we can do.

As a customer that spends over $500 for your products I would expect a better business attitude. After all it is a free market and I can spend my money anywhere I choose - some appreciation would go a long way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hatake View Post
    I must say there are many folks in the 1Up thread that are wishing for a little quicker delivery. Unfortunately, it's not exactly a situation unique to you. So raising concern is probably warranted, albeit the title is little negatively charged, if you ask me. Revisit this thread after you have the rack for a while...

While 1Up USA have some room for improvement in their communication method, I also think you have to take some responsibility in waiting to order such an important part of your race until 2 weeks before your departure. Especially when others have already expressed some level of frustration in their ordering situation. I understand you are frustrated, but take a step back, signs were there.

FYI I have nothing to do with 1Up USA, never been to WI. But this is the first rack that left me completely satisfied. I've been using numerous bike/ski racks since early 90s, every time wishing for something else, or worse replacing them within a year.
    I don't know who told you that I'm going for a race, and I didn't put a limit of two weeks before anything - I said that I am going to Tahoe and it would be nice to take my bikes with me. Let me put it this way, if I end up going to Tahoe without any bikes it wouldn't be the end of the world... okay?

About "Especially when others have already expressed some level of frustration in their ordering situation."

I didn't know that, I was looking for a good bike rack for my car... I was not aware that I'm not the only who got the same attitude from them... Had I known...

I didn't look for "how many people are dissatisfied with 1UP deliveries" all I saw, including in this thread is how much people like the product. I'll probably love it too.

That's why I opened this thread so that other people ordering from 1UP would be aware that it takes them a week to process an order because for me it was a first... As I mentioned before I order a lot online (saving time) so I'm used to getting things processed and delivered within the time frame that's advertised on the site from which I'm buying from.

That and maybe if we all get together and sign a petition and send it to 1UP maybe the next guy that buys from them a rack would get better service (this is where I'm being proactive )

So just to summarize:
    1. I like the product - thus far even though I still don't have it (hopefully tomorrow!!)
    2. I have no race this weekend (not sure who even mentioned that)
    3. I'm disappointed that it took a week to process my order.
    4. I'm disappointed of the customer service representative that agreed that processing of 1 week is too much and still didn't do anything about it.
    5. I hope that people will know that it's a known thing with 1UP processing
    6. I hope that because this forum gives them a lot of business we'll be able to get a response from them and get better treatment for future buyers.
    7. Hakuna matata

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Well, here's my experience with 1up: After having a roof rack and a couple of hitch racks that turned into big piles of rust way too quickly, I finally ordered a rack from 1up on July 27th. The website clearly stated that the rack would not be available until July 30th. I just checked the UPS tracking and Mr. Browntruck should be dropping it off at my house tomorrow, Aug. 1st.

FWIW, I live 2 states from WI.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I am so happy for you!
    I'm supposed to get mine tomorrow as well!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael86 View Post
    Buddy I didn't say anything about the product or WI... I mean I did order it after all ( I'm all about helping little local/US businesses).

Based on all the reviews here I decided that even though they are a bit more expensive I'd prefer them and not a "made in china" product. Call it patriotic

My only problem was with the customer service... The fact that it took a week to process the order, and after admitting that they screwed up that they didn't try to make amends.

For instance if they would offer something like: "We're sorry we missed you order for a week, we'll deliver it ASAP but the fastest way available to us" I would say no worries **** happens etc.. but they didn't and instead said there's nothing we can do.

As a customer that spends over $500 for your products I would expect a better business attitude. After all it is a free market and I can spend my money anywhere I choose - some appreciation would go a long way.
    No one is going to overnight a $300 to $500 rack (one position or two) to you for $130 in overnight shipping fees (UPS next day saver on 48 lbs). That's a completely unrealistic expectation on your part.

And yes, it is a free market, and if that bothers you then you should take your business elsewhere.

J.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I received my rack yesterday and it's awesome. So,less than a week for me.

It sucks that some of you had to wait a little longer, but this is the far and away the best rack on the market.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Some associates know the rack maker and one still has the privilege to pick up product there. They second plenty of Internet threads that say its a small firm with most effort needing to go to making the fine products. Maybe continued success will mean enough growth and staff for a dedicated customer service dept, but my 1Up stuff has been so great that I live with any shortcomings the firm may have.

We just got to the cabin in my wife's car so I really am thinking twice (and more) about 1Up. Without my 1Up I see just how craptacular her Yakima and the neighbor's Thule are compared to my 1up that's home with my car.

Other racks suck so much more (we've had or still have them from 3 major brands) that I'll take any customer service shortcomings if 1Up pricing can stay so reasonable.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    Some associates know the rack maker and one still has the privilege to pick up product there. They second plenty of Internet threads that say its a small firm with most effort needing to go to making the fine products. Maybe continued success will mean enough growth and staff for a dedicated customer service dept, but my 1Up stuff has been so great that I live with any shortcomings the firm may have.

We just got to the cabin in my wife's car so I really am thinking twice (and more) about 1Up. Without my 1Up I see just how craptacular her Yakima and the neighbor's Thule are compared to my 1up that's home with my car.

Other racks suck so much more (we've had or still have them from 3 major brands) that I'll take any customer service shortcomings if 1Up pricing can stay so reasonable.
    Pretty much sums up my experience too. I've had a lot of racks and none of them come close. If you have a a slight delay in shipping, does it really matter for all the years you'll own this rack?

J.

Sconie
    I recall a similar experience with processing time. I purchased a roof rack in black with the fat bike adapters. It was listed as in stock and took about a week to ship. Once I got the tracking info it showed up the next day (I am also in WI).

I wasn't in a hurry to get it, but I do remember kind of forgetting about it for a few days then wondering what was going on when I realized I haven't received a tracking number.

I am very satisfied with the product, and have no experience with the customer service to comment. The week long processing time was a non issue for me, but I can confirm my rack took a similar time to ship as the OP's.

mtbr member
    This is interesting because I'm thinking about getting a 1Up roof rack. It's kind of expensive for me, but most of the reviews I've found have been very positive. I have a question about the rack---how easy is it to switch the rack between bikes with different sized tires?
    "Geologic time includes now."

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by spirit4earth View Post
    This is interesting because I'm thinking about getting a 1Up roof rack. It's kind of expensive for me, but most of the reviews I've found have been very positive. I have a question about the rack---how easy is it to switch the rack between bikes with different sized tires?
    These are great racks...This thread was about delivery expectations and not the quality of the rack. Just make sure you allow for delivery and don't get yourself in a bind with when you need it. I'll let the people who really know about the rack jump in but I put my bike on my friends and it's easy to fit his 29 and my 27.5. The quality is phenomenal and I'll be getting one soon...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by spirit4earth View Post
    Very easy. It's a thumbscrew release and you move the bar in the arm to the appropriate hole for the tire size.

J.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Over all I'm very satisfied with the product! It's so cool that at the end of your ride you just put it up on the rack (and you can clean it right away) while your friends are struggling with the other ones they have

(Sorry I don't know how to flip the photo)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Think twice before going for 1UP racks-photo1.jpg  

since 4/10/2009
    smaller companies ALWAYS do things more slowly than the big guns. It's just the way it works. Lots of reasons. Fewer staff, less stock on hand, longer production times, different ordering systems, whatever.

Yeah, they could have been a little quicker with the communication, but based on the story as told, that is really all I can find fault with. And it's not a serious one, IMO.

I am building a bike this fall, and there are some pretty significant delays with some of the stuff. I had to wait for my rims to be MADE. That's okay, I got them the other day and just sent them off for the wheel build, which will probably take a couple/few weeks longer. That is also okay. I am dealing with small companies there. I am also dealing with some high demand products even from big companies. The front brake is HARD to find. I have some stock alerts set up to tell me when it's finally available and I'm going to drop cash ASAP when I get those alerts. The frame has no concrete timeframe, even. My order is placed, but I have no clue when it will ship. The fork is another with a long delay. I'm told it will ship on the 19th of this month, but it too has also been ordered for awhile.

Yeah, I'd be really cranky if I had a deadline for myself for this build. Thankfully I never set one. I also still have another mtb so I'm still riding. But if you want the best of the best, sometimes, waiting is the name of the game. For some of these things, the money was pulled from my account as soon as the order was placed. For others, the money will not be pulled from my account until they ship. Either policy seems to be in play and not every company makes those policies super clear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Over all I'm very satisfied with the product! It's so cool that at the end of your ride you just put it up on the rack (and you can clean it right away) while your friends are struggling with the other ones they have

(Sorry I don't know how to flip the photo)
    Buzz-off OP. You create a hate thread, now you post cool upside down pics about how awesome the rack is? Real nice.

mtbr member
    Buzz-off OP. You create a hate thread, now you post cool upside down pics about how awesome the rack is? Real nice.
    Crazy!!! A whole big to-do about a minor shipping delay. I agree with you, this has been a whole upside-down thread, what a waste!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Even the best in the world (Amazon) usually takes 1-2 days unless one pays for expediting. By your timeline it looks to have taken 3-4 days. Pretty standard. Had it been a few weeks your beef would have merit. Such as it is now I don't think it does. Asking them to eat expedited shipping cost was unrealistic too. Next time don't wait till the last minute before a trip .

mtbr member
    This is a total waste of a thread, on a great product, all because one member ordered it and received it later than his anticipated delivery date.

Lesson learned, plan ahead and allow for some delays especially when buying a great item that is in high demand! Blame thy self.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I disagree. 1UP clearly has to do a better job conveying expectations on when they will ship their racks. I ordered one this summer that "should" have been in time for a 1000-mile round trip I was doing; but although their web site said a couple days, it took about a week to ship, and it arrived the day after I had left. It wasn't necessary, but would have been nice to have the new rack.

All 1UP needs to do is adjust the shipping time and no one gets disappointed. Easy enough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    BEWARE - make sure you use the cheap velcro strap (or other design of your choice) to keep the rack on your vehicle - the mounting system is a real weak link in the 1Up system. This is my rack on the side of Interstate 5 after it FELL OFF MY TRUCK. I tighten the hitch mounting screw every time I use and multiple times during a long road trip. It's a VERY serious flaw in an otherwise great product.

Since this thread is on Customer Service, here's my experience with Rob @ 1Up (Manager..?) on this incident - - "Tough shit, we know the mounting system is an issue, use the strap - it was Operator Error dumbshit, pack it up, send it back, I'll repair and then charge you for the shipping"

Name:  1up rack falilure.jpeg
Views: 20258
Size:  40.3 KB

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    BEWARE - make sure you use the cheap velcro strap (or other design of your choice) to keep the rack on your vehicle - the mounting system is a real weak link in the 1Up system. This is my rack on the side of Interstate 5 after it FELL OFF MY TRUCK. I tighten the hitch mounting screw every time I use and multiple times during a long road trip. It's a VERY serious flaw in an otherwise great product.

Since this is a thread on customer service, the response from 1Up has been less than stellar. "We know the mounting system is an issue, use the velcro strap!! Pack the rack up, send back (you pay) and we'll repair. This was operator error" Again, never had to get out a wrench and tighten my T2 at every gas stop - but hey, it looks great

Name:  1up rack falilure.jpeg
Views: 20144
Size:  40.3 KB

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My one up has never loosened. Not one issue. Love it. Don't let this thread keep you from purchasing. Jim.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    wait - is that snow just off the road?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jimh View Post
    My one up has never loosened. Not one issue. Love it. Don't let this thread keep you from purchasing. Jim.
    Same here. I don't see this happening. Mine is tight - very tight in the hitch when tightened.

J.

Here, diagonally!
    That's weird, how did the hitch fall completely off the truck on the highway without damaging the bikes? Also, what exactly did OneUp say in response to your inquiry? You have 2 posts saying 2 different things.

I'm not calling BS outright, but if you are going to call them out for their response, just paste in exactly what they said.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    That's weird, how did the hitch fall completely off the truck on the highway without damaging the bikes? Also, what exactly did OneUp say in response to your inquiry? You have 2 posts saying 2 different things.

I'm not calling BS outright, but if you are going to call them out for their response, just paste in exactly what they said.
    I think we can, in light of no further evidence, call this one out as trolling. Note the low post count (5). This is trolling plain and simple. The mounting system is not an issue and never was.

J.

mtbr member
    I always use a velcro loop strap with a ring that I purchased at Home Depot for added security, however whenever removing the rack, the ball tensioner was never loose?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Personally I could never trust just the ball by itself which is why my rack is also chained to my hitch. Never had it loosen up but.......

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by canker View Post
    Personally I could never trust just the ball by itself which is why my rack is also chained to my hitch. Never had it loosen up but.......
    Why?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    That ball is solid as ****. But I used the included velcro strap for piece of mind.

Your Best Friend
    I put a u lock on mine but that is more to keep people from stealing the rack. It'd also work to keep the rack on the car. My racks, 2 of them, have never come loose. Ever.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    see other threads in this forum--the 1up expansion bolt *will loosen on its own* under certain circumstances. i've had it happen to me, i just recheck the bolt every hour or so while driving now. can usually predict if it'll be loose or not. (hint: significant vertical or horizontal stress due to the road being bumpy (e.g. dirt) or twisty)

haven't had it fall out yet, but the first person i asked about the rack (almost 5 years ago now) actually had it happen to them! but they still kept the rack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmtb View Post
    see other threads in this forum--the 1up expansion bolt *will loosen on its own* under certain circumstances. i've had it happen to me, i just recheck the bolt every hour or so while driving now. can usually predict if it'll be loose or not. (hint: significant vertical or horizontal stress due to the road being bumpy (e.g. dirt) or twisty)

haven't had it fall out yet, but the first person i asked about the rack (almost 5 years ago now) actually had it happen to them! but they still kept the rack.
    Would be interesting to have someone get to the bottom of this. I wonder if it runs with a certain size or brand of receiver. On mine, it actually seems to tighten up. Not only can I not move it the bolt seems to get tighter to the point where it's harder to loosen it than it was for me to tighten it. I put the rack on, check the rack at the first stop (usually around 1/2 tank). From that point on, it just seems to stay the same or get tighter - even for a 1100 mile trip.

J.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Dang just installed my new rack today, thanks to the good folks on this site. So I better go use the velcro strap NOW.

Aside from that I was really impressed with the build and assumed noway that ball is coming loose. I will get the u-lock and plus strap it up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Had mine on and off all summer. Numerous trips and long trips. Numerous bumpy roads, gravel, off road type stuff. The rack has never once shown any loosening etc.... Once tightened feels like it's part of the hitch and vehicle. I call bs on the troll post. But to be a realist - nobody is 100% perfect and we can rationalize that it could happen to 1 or 2. As faulires

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    wouldn't surprise me at all if the receiver matters a bit. i have the 1 1/4 rack + adapter + 2" receiver. it is not a super snug fit. i can crank the expander bolt hard enough to put a small dent in the receiver, but it will still loosen. 1up says this can happen w/rough usage.

mind you another rack i've used, the bolts which hold the thing together would loosen on their own, which is even worse because you don't normally ever need to touch or look at them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    Why?
    Because I'm paranoid and it is easy enough to chain the rack to my hitch so why not do it and get rid of the little worry in my head.

mtbr member
    I can say that when I used a single rack, I never had the rack loosen up. When I put a second rack on, it did loosen once but the rack was still on tightly. I check it now just to make sure. But honestly, I would do it with every rack anyway.

Love my 1UP. Where is the velco strap supposed to go? I always wondered what that was for!
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I leave my single rack on all the time. I've had a couple of these over the years. I think my current one has been installed for more than two years. I might check the tension once every six months or so. I'm generally able to tighten it a couple mm or so, but it's never been loose.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    I can say that when I used a single rack, I never had the rack loosen up. When I put a second rack on, it did loosen once but the rack was still on tightly. I check it now just to make sure. But honestly, I would do it with every rack anyway.

Love my 1UP. Where is the velco strap supposed to go? I always wondered what that was for!
    I just got my single 1UP yesterday. What a breeze to install. Seems really solid and a great design. I was curious about how confidence-inducing it would be, with the expansion bolt concept, but man, it feels like it's part of my hitch once tightened. I will of course, check it regularly. I was wondering about the velcro strap too--that part was a little vague. I managed to snake it through my receiver, sort of underneath/through the back and back out around the 1UP. Seems a little flimsy but I guess it'd hold the thing on long enough to prevent a real catastrophe so you could pull over

Curious about one thing (never had anything other than a flimsy trunk-lid rack before)--do you folks leave these on when you go through a carwash?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jbass View Post
    I just got my single 1UP yesterday. What a breeze to install. Seems really solid and a great design. I was curious about how confidence-inducing it would be, with the expansion bolt concept, but man, it feels like it's part of my hitch once tightened. I will of course, check it regularly. I was wondering about the velcro strap too--that part was a little vague. I managed to snake it through my receiver, sort of underneath/through the back and back out around the 1UP. Seems a little flimsy but I guess it'd hold the thing on long enough to prevent a real catastrophe so you could pull over
    I am guessing here, but I'd say that the reports of the rack loosening are pretty much a very tiny percentage. *If* there is an issue, it's likely some incompatibility with the inside shape of the receiver or heavy corrosion/debris that is preventing the ball from making good contact with the receiver. I would say that if yours is tight, and it stays tight, then you will never have a problem and the velcro strap is a waste of time.

If you look at how this works, the purpose of the ball is to create a massive amount of friction so that the rack cannot slide out of the receiver and to take up the slop between the tongue of the rack and the receiver so there is little to no movement. The weight of the rack and the bikes is borne by the tongue simply sitting in the receiver - you do not need to tighten the rack down at all for it to hold up the entire load. The purpose of the ball is to prevent it from sliding out of the receiver. So, no issues, I'd think.

Curious about one thing (never had anything other than a flimsy trunk-lid rack before)--do you folks leave these on when you go through a carwash?
    I would have no worries and wouldn't even think about it if the wash was a touchless car wash. And, since cars are expensive, I won't take any car I own through anything other than a touchless car wash. I am presuming, of course, that you are doing this with the rack flipped up vertically not laying out horizontally. If it were horizontal, it would probably fool the lasers that are used to identify the boundaries of the car and would not be a good idea.

This rack is way, way better than those back of the trunk racks. If you have nice bikes, the last thing you want to be doing is to have the bike held in place by the frame. At some point, you will damage the paint on the frame with this method. If you have a nice car, at some point you are going to damage the paint on the car in the same way. All it takes is a little grit between rack and frame or rack and car and you are going to damage either the car or the bike. The only right way to hold a bike in place in a rack safely is to hold it by the wheels.

J.
    Last edited by JohnJ80; 10-13-2015 at 06:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i would be lying if i said that the situation doenst suck..or that it never happens.

but i cant count how many times getting a product takes too long. part of the issue was me..i am not super patience-guy.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member

I tried with the two rack set up and one of the wash arms hit the rack and stopped the machine. I actually had to get out of the car and dislodge the arm and drive away in shame. ):
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Yes, 1up Racks DO FALL OFF! What you need to know...

Although I've often looked on MTBR for information, I've never felt compelled to register and comment until now. I've seen some comments on this 1up post about a Troll, people not believing this rack could fail, etc. You can believe what you want, but here our real story! My husband bought the single 1up rack a while back for our Prius so he could keep it on all the time and bring his bike to work to do rides after. We always used Thule T2 racks before and have both a 2 bike + 4 bike Thule set up. He was really impressed by the 1up, so we bought the 2nd bike add-on and switched the Thule out on our truck for our last road trip to Oregon (using the 2" 1up adapter with 2 bikes). We did not do any off road driving on this trip, just rode to the paved trailhead. I was driving back on 1-5 going about 65 mph when the car next to me started waving at me and pointing back. To my surprise the rack with our 2 carbon fiber bikes had fallen off and the Semi truck behind had swerved and missed hitting them as the 1up rack with our 2 bikes slid down the highway before coming to a stop and toppling over! By some miracle the only damage to the bikes was a broken handle bar, as they didn't get hit by any of the other vehicles and somehow stayed upright until the end. If we didn't have a truck, we would not have been able to get the bikes and rack home, the rack was not useable once it fell off, no set screw to be found. I'm including photos so you can see just how lucky we were. The semi pulled over along with a few other cars and pulled the bikes out of the lane before I could turn around and get back to them.

When I called 1up I was told that the racks do loosen especially on certain vehicles (seems to depend on the suspension) and on bumpy roads and that we were supposed to use the Velcro strap to stop it from falling out until we tighten it. Yes, they suggest tightening it every time you put in gas or more often on a bumpy road. 1up told us that they would not replace the rack but if we sent it back to them they could "repair it". I asked about the cost of repairing the handle bars and they said we could submit a claim to their insurance but we would be denied because we didn't have the Velcro strap through the hitch received as recommended in their instructions. When I said to 1up that they need to redesign this flaw, I was told that "we've sold hundreds of thousands of racks and only ever get great reviews - just look online". That's why both my husband and I have been spreading the word about this problem. If you have the 1up with a 2" adapter and drive a truck, I'll bet you have this problem! Even though we've never seen a 1up using the Velcro straps before, I'd suggest you find the strap and use it. I believe ours got thrown out with the package, but if we decide to ship this back and start using the repaired one, you bet it will be used from now on.

We've always liked the overall design of the 1up and had talked about replacing our Thule 4 bike with a 1up 4 bike someday, but if they don't redesign this mounting screw and use a more secure pin system, I don't want to rely on a Velcro strap to save our bikes! But what do I know, I'm just a girl who likes to ride a bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've had 4 rack brands. They all had to be watched. Now we still own two brands incl 1up. Checking them all goes with the territory.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DehicaBike View Post
    Although I've often looked on MTBR for information, I've never felt compelled to register and comment until now. I've seen some comments on this 1up post about a Troll, people not believing this rack could fail, etc. You can believe what you want, but here our real story! My husband bought the single 1up rack a while back for our Prius so he could keep it on all the time and bring his bike to work to do rides after. We always used Thule T2 racks before and have both a 2 bike + 4 bike Thule set up. He was really impressed by the 1up, so we bought the 2nd bike add-on and switched the Thule out on our truck for our last road trip to Oregon (using the 2" 1up adapter with 2 bikes). We did not do any off road driving on this trip, just rode to the paved trailhead. I was driving back on 1-5 going about 65 mph when the car next to me started waving at me and pointing back. To my surprise the rack with our 2 carbon fiber bikes had fallen off and the Semi truck behind had swerved and missed hitting them as the 1up rack with our 2 bikes slid down the highway before coming to a stop and toppling over! By some miracle the only damage to the bikes was a broken handle bar, as they didn't get hit by any of the other vehicles and somehow stayed upright until the end. If we didn't have a truck, we would not have been able to get the bikes and rack home, the rack was not useable once it fell off, no set screw to be found. I'm including photos so you can see just how lucky we were. The semi pulled over along with a few other cars and pulled the bikes out of the lane before I could turn around and get back to them.

When I called 1up I was told that the racks do loosen especially on certain vehicles (seems to depend on the suspension) and on bumpy roads and that we were supposed to use the Velcro strap to stop it from falling out until we tighten it. Yes, they suggest tightening it every time you put in gas or more often on a bumpy road. 1up told us that they would not replace the rack but if we sent it back to them they could "repair it". I asked about the cost of repairing the handle bars and they said we could submit a claim to their insurance but we would be denied because we didn't have the Velcro strap through the hitch received as recommended in their instructions. When I said to 1up that they need to redesign this flaw, I was told that "we've sold hundreds of thousands of racks and only ever get great reviews - just look online". That's why both my husband and I have been spreading the word about this problem. If you have the 1up with a 2" adapter and drive a truck, I'll bet you have this problem! Even though we've never seen a 1up using the Velcro straps before, I'd suggest you find the strap and use it. I believe ours got thrown out with the package, but if we decide to ship this back and start using the repaired one, you bet it will be used from now on.

We've always liked the overall design of the 1up and had talked about replacing our Thule 4 bike with a 1up 4 bike someday, but if they don't redesign this mounting screw and use a more secure pin system, I don't want to rely on a Velcro strap to save our bikes! But what do I know, I'm just a girl who likes to ride a bike.
    Stop trolling these forums. You posted the same picture under a different name (selston) just prior in this thread. Why is that? Did you get banned under that name (also with a super low post count).

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Stop calling both of us a Troll and that our posts are "suspect". I explained that my husband (selston) posted this photo and brief comment earlier about the 1Up Rack falling off and since it appeared some thought his post was "suspect", I joined MTBR so that I could explain the entire story, including the photos to support it. Why would you think he was "banned", can't two family members comment on something and post photos on this forum? I hope others can read past your negative comments to us and understand that this is a serious problem that all 1Up owners need to be aware of and handle accordingly. Keep bashing me if you want, I'm done trying to use this forum to help others with vital information.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Stop calling both of us a Troll and that our posts are "suspect". I explained that my husband (selston) posted this photo and brief comment earlier about the 1Up Rack falling off and since it appeared some thought his post was "suspect", I joined MTBR so that I could explain the entire story, including the photos to support it. Why would you think he was "banned", can't two family members comment on something and post photos on this forum? I hope others can read past your negative comments to us and understand that this is a serious problem that all 1Up owners need to be aware of and handle accordingly. Keep bashing me if you want, I'm done trying to use this forum to help others with vital information.

It's pretty normal behavior for internet trolls to jump onto a forum, create a ruckus and then never be seen again. Then they come on with another name and do the same thing all over again. Clearly, your combined behavior could be seen to fit that template. And, if this is your only issue then it's maybe not specifically troll behavior but could be very similar. Maybe you could tell us about other riding you do and participate in other threads? Prove me wrong.

J.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Our intent was not to cause a ruckus but to inform those with a 1Up or thinking about buying on. This was a very serious issue for us, we could have lost over $12K worth of carbon fiber bikes had it not been for the luck of how it stayed upright and how fast the truck and cars around avoided the rack got it pulled off the roadway so quickly. We have also both been members of the SportsMobile forum, but have since sold ours and drive a Tacoma with a shell on it, so we are only on a Tacoma forum now. We don't normally post often, only when it seems worthwhile to add to a conversion. Generally I just look on her to information on rides, specific trail details etc. Although I have a lot of bikes (Road, MTB, Fattire, Cargo, Tandem, commuter) I don't spend time talking about them online much. Too be honest I think these thread get too long and full of off topic info. So I'll end my discussion here and just be a viewer and let you all that have thousands of posts keep posting. Ride on...

Workin for the weekend!
    The 1upUSA owners thread borders on obnoxious, as do any thread that involves a bike rack from the legions of 1upUSA owners. It's like clockwork how they jump into any rack topic. I guess since they spend so much money on a rack they all need an extra pat on the back to soften the buyers remorse that comes with such a purchase.

The design is solid, however the ball lock that they use seems like a compromise to an otherwise simple solution that the other rack makers have used, a threaded bolt / pin.

PS - One day I'll own one too.... Just in case someone feels the need to oversell the idea to me in another reply...
    Todd

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    The 1upUSA owners thread borders on obnoxious, as do any thread that involves a bike rack from the legions of 1upUSA owners. It's like clockwork how they jump into any rack topic. I guess since they spend so much money on a rack they all need an extra pat on the back to soften the buyers remorse that comes with such a purchase.

The design is solid, however the ball lock that they use seems like a compromise to an otherwise simple solution that the other rack makers have used, a threaded bolt / pin.

PS - One day I'll own one too.... Just in case someone feels the need to oversell the idea to me in another reply...

I couldn't agree more! Thank you for such an intelligent reply :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Our intent was not to cause a ruckus but to inform those with a 1Up or thinking about buying on. This was a very serious issue for us, we could have lost over $12K worth of carbon fiber bikes had it not been for the luck of how it stayed upright and how fast the truck and cars around avoided the rack got it pulled off the roadway so quickly. We have also both been members of the SportsMobile forum, but have since sold ours and drive a Tacoma with a shell on it, so we are only on a Tacoma forum now. We don't normally post often, only when it seems worthwhile to add to a conversion. Generally I just look on her to information on rides, specific trail details etc. Although I have a lot of bikes (Road, MTB, Fattire, Cargo, Tandem, commuter) I don't spend time talking about them online much. Too be honest I think these thread get too long and full of off topic info. So I'll end my discussion here and just be a viewer and let you all that have thousands of posts keep posting. Ride on...
    My mindset comes from the long ago time when I was a truck driver, and reading instructions. Yours is probably coming from the frustration of messing up.

The truck driver training and law was it's the driver's job to secure their load. My first bike rack experience was when Yakima was a young company. I said I've had several brands and have two (Yakima, 1Up) now. I sold my second Saris last year. All have had hiccups whether the product, wind, road conditions or the user. I treat them like I did a flatbed semi driver - secure anything outside the vehicle properly and check the load often.

The strap and instructions were clear to me when I got a 1Up. Same for friends. You messed up. You should admit that and suggest people follow directions and be careful with any rack system they use.

I don't care how much your plastic bikes cost of they were made of beer can material. We had a family member killed in a car accident because someone else was an idiot in a scenario that gave him no options in the freeway. It's not about the value of your bike. Trust me having lost a family member in an accident. It's that someone in your family was in the same class of stupidity that killed our family member. That would be not following instruction, not following the law, and a lack of common sense. A mistake with another brand rack could cause an accident too.

Stop thinking about your stupid bikes - they're disposables. Think about the road f'ups that can kill someone. It was a real bummer for us to lose a family member that way. It still hurts 4 years later. I'm sure it still hurts the woman who killed our family member. You're being a total fool if your concentration and blame is aimed at the rack or bikes when you clearly messed up.

poser Administrator
    I'd would say that this is all suspect. The fact that your husband is posting from Australia and you from California makes me be much more suspect. Considering this information I would say that your and your husband's credibility is in question. When someone posts only through an AU IP yet says they are from US, it usually smacks of someone that is posting from multiple accounts or through a VPN.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    ... and drive a Tacoma
    Assuming you're not a troll from a competitor, it's interesting to me that both you and unrooted have had an issue with a Tacoma and the 1-1/4" rack + 2" adapter setup...

http://forums.mtbr.com/car-biker/1up...l#post12032256

Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    FYI it only comes loose when I use it on my 2" hitch, not on my 1 1/4".
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    My reciever is clean, and doesn't have thick paint, what else can I do? I was considering placing a thin layer of material between the hitch bar and the 1.25" to 2" adapter to take up a space, but other than that I don't know what else may work.

The 2" receiver came new with my 2013 Tacoma.
    I think everyone... especially Tacoma owners... need to use the velco strap or similar until they're confident in the setup...
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If all you do is go around on this one issue and posting it every chance you get, then that strikes me as more of a vendetta you are pursuing between you and 1UpUSA than informative. So, to me, that falls under the category of causing a ruckus and is "trollish" behavior. If you're mad at 1UpUSA, then sue them if they are wrong. Should you win, then that is a fact that establishes your point.

Apparently you did not use the velcro strap, or used it improperly, or check your rack as instructed to by the manufacturer. Hard to say what happened here but you would have owned the liability had anything happened to anyone other than you or your stuff.

J.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Suspect??? I'm done on this forum...just to clear up all misunderstandings, I'll write this last post and not waste any more of my time! I dropped my husband off at the Medford airport so that he could ride one more day before his business trip to Australia. So I drove back to SF bay area by myself with the bikes. He had checked and tightened the rack when we left Grants Pass area for Medford airport, I was about 2 hours into the drive when it fell off. This was our first time using the 1Up on our truck (with 1Up's adapter), normally we use the T2 since it has the 2" hitch + we already own the 4 bike adapter. He liked the single 1Up so much that he bought the 2nd tray we took the T2 of our truck and put the 1Up 2 bike on our truck. I was unaware that the bolt could loosen so quickly and that there was a strap that is recommended to be used or I would have used it! The 1Up did seem to not loosen often our the car (without the 2" adapter), so it might just be an issue with the adapter and more bounce from a truck vs. car suspension? Yes, it's our fault for not reading all directions. I did not open the box or install it, he didn't notice the strap or understand it is mandatory to use. He was excited with the new rack installed it in minutes (as others have noted). We have 2 friends that have 1Ups and both did not use the strap, so I didn't even know we were missing something. After this happen they both told me they will look for a way to secure it now (one said they never new about the strap and the other said they thought they had it but never bothered with it). Yes, we were extremely lucky that no one got hurt and would be horrified if someone was killed from this. I send my husband the photo of the bikes and told him what happened and he posted this from his business trip (yes in Australia...he's in Colorado connecting to a flight to Kansas now if you care). I would think other 1Up rack owners would like to know this information and look for the velcro strap or find another way to secure their racks. I just saw a car with a 1Up rack drive past me yesterday without a strap. I'm done contributing to this discussion now, so I go ahead and call me a Troll for telling the truth :-(

poser Administrator
    Suspect??? I'm done on this forum...just to clear up all misunderstandings, I'll write this last post and not waste any more of my time! I dropped my husband off at the Medford airport so that he could ride one more day before his business trip to Australia. So I drove back to SF bay area by myself with the bikes. He had checked and tightened the rack when we left Grants Pass area for Medford airport, I was about 2 hours into the drive when it fell off. This was our first time using the 1Up on our truck (with 1Up's adapter), normally we use the T2 since it has the 2" hitch + we already own the 4 bike adapter. He liked the single 1Up so much that he bought the 2nd tray we took the T2 of our truck and put the 1Up 2 bike on our truck. I was unaware that the bolt could loosen so quickly and that there was a strap that is recommended to be used or I would have used it! The 1Up did seem to not loosen often our the car (without the 2" adapter), so it might just be an issue with the adapter and more bounce from a truck vs. car suspension? Yes, it's our fault for not reading all directions. I did not open the box or install it, he didn't notice the strap or understand it is mandatory to use. He was excited with the new rack installed it in minutes (as others have noted). We have 2 friends that have 1Ups and both did not use the strap, so I didn't even know we were missing something. After this happen they both told me they will look for a way to secure it now (one said they never new about the strap and the other said they thought they had it but never bothered with it). Yes, we were extremely lucky that no one got hurt and would be horrified if someone was killed from this. I send my husband the photo of the bikes and told him what happened and he posted this from his business trip (yes in Australia...he's in Colorado connecting to a flight to Kansas now if you care). I would think other 1Up rack owners would like to know this information and look for the velcro strap or find another way to secure their racks. I just saw a car with a 1Up rack drive past me yesterday without a strap. I'm done contributing to this discussion now, so I go ahead and call me a Troll for telling the truth :-(
    I hate to say it but saying all this initially would have lead to a much better response. Whenever someone comes to a forum with a low post count to complain about a product more information is better and sadly many people come to complain about an item with no post history and then disappear back of this forum, which always smacks of someone with a vested interest in discrediting a brand.

In this your case and considering your last post this all makes sense, at least to me, now.

I don't have a 1up rack but a thule T2 and it has a locking pin, something that I would never have a rack without. I have had my rack loosen, I can feel the bikes rocking on the back but I get home and give it a torque with a wrench and feel confident that my bikes won't UFO down the highway when I hear the bump bump of a loose rack. I have a roof rack too and I would never drive anywhere without the bike mounts mechanically locked to the bikes as I have also had those come loose.

I find the need for a velcro strap to be a bandaid for a bad design element. Bikes and racks, heck anything attached to a tow hitch, should always be mechanically restrained because, as others have stated, your bikes are only plastic and aluminum bits but other people on the road are trusting their lives to not come over a bend and have 50+ lbs of plastic and aluminum sitting in the middle of the road.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A responsible and truly caring post would warn owners to follow instructions and be careful - not use a title that in essence tells prospects to think twice about choosing the brand.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I didn't pick the Title! I guess don't really understand how the forum and threads work, we just tagged onto any conversations about 1Up's, there seemed to be several going. I'm trying to figure out now how undo being on this forum as I am obviously not doing this correctly and it seems to be a waste of my time and all of yours. I give up, I'm going to go ride my bike now. Goodbye!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Speaking as a 1Up owner, WHO would actually use just the expander bolt without a secondary measure in place?

Like, I had a Thule rack before that, and I always used a backup strap on one of the wheels of the bike, in case the cheap latching mechanism failed.

Always. Have. Redundancy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I didn't pick the Title! I guess don't really understand how the forum and threads work, we just tagged onto any conversations about 1Up's, there seemed to be several going. I'm trying to figure out now how undo being on this forum as I am obviously not doing this correctly and it seems to be a waste of my time and all of yours. I give up, I'm going to go ride my bike now. Goodbye!
    I'm sorry this all happened to you. I agree with the previous poster about how troll behavior is often seen. This level of information would have been much more helpful in the first place. Thanks for providing it here.

Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Speaking as a 1Up owner, WHO would actually use just the expander bolt without a secondary measure in place?

Like, I had a Thule rack before that, and I always used a backup strap on one of the wheels of the bike, in case the cheap latching mechanism failed.

Always. Have. Redundancy.
    I would use it without a secondary measure in place but I sure wouldn't do that unless I had tried it per the manufacturer's guidance first. Mine never loosens and tends to tighten after a long drive and that's been true on two different vehicles. I've got about 15,000 miles of experience with it - so there are no surprises anymore.

I also concur about the desirability of redundancy - a little paranoia here never hurts. I will also say, that throughout the 15,000 of driving, we're pretty much checking the rack to car fitting and the bike(s) to the rack fitting about every gas stop when on the highway. We do the same for any rack for anything (skis, box, bikes on the roof etc...). We also, when we put the rack on the car, drive for about 50 miles, stop and check to see if it can tightened further thereby avoiding possible problems due to debris in the hitch from the initial mounting.

There does seem to be an incompatibility in a very small minority of cases where somehow either the rack cannot be tightened or it loosens over time. It's only been reported less than a handful of times over the years (I recall two, this being three) that this rack has been discussed on this forum. That's still a mystery to me how it happens because the mechanism is dead simple and fool proof. At any rate, that is 1UpUSA's to worry about. I'm fairly certain (but speculating) that it is very tiny problem and hence the level of solution falls to that of a velcro strap given the number of reports and without being able to rule out user error. I also don't think that this rises anywhere near the level of "1UpUSA=bad" or anything like that or that it's a design error/deficit. If it were, the problems would be much more wide spread and they are not.

J.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I am thinking about purchasing one of these units and the topic raised here is certainly a concern. I am trying to look for a pic but how does the velcro strap prevent the rack from falling out? thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I took my first real trip with my 1Up this weekend (aside from my local jaunts). I have the 1up on with one additional tray, to carry two bikes. I have a 2" hitch receiver on my Subaru Outback so I'm using the adapter. Several hours on the highway, lots of twisty mountain roads, and also some very bumpy and rough fire road driving. I checked the tightness of everything at every opportunity and experienced no loosening up at all, at the hitch receiver, nor on the rest of the unit or add-on tray. It performed very well. The only shortcoming of the thing I can come up with is that with two bikes on, it's pretty hard to do the tilt-down maneuver--that little black bar that you pull is difficult to reach and hold compressed while you do the tilt with two bikes on it. With one bike it's no prob. But that's a fairly minor thing to me, and by the end of the trip I was getting better at it
    I have two of the little velcro straps on (cause I too like redundancy)--my hitch receiver has two metal loops under the car for tow straps, so they go around those, securing it to the car.
    Very happy with my 1Up.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have two of the little velcro straps on (cause I too like redundancy)--my hitch receiver has two metal loops under the car for tow straps, so they go around those, securing it to the car.
    Very happy with my 1Up.
    I see how that works, the thought of Velcro straps securing a hitch just seems flimsy. I wonder if there is a way 1Up could use a standard locking pin to attach to the receiver in addition to their friction ball anti-wobble device.

mtbr member
    Any one device can fail and although my expander bolt has never loosened and probably never will, I use a velcro strap as a backup option as well. It is inexpensive and simple and would hold the rack and bikes from becoming dislodged even if the ball was never tightened.

If there was this much written about other racks, there would be no shortage of major failures and issues.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I took my first real trip with my 1Up this weekend (aside from my local jaunts). I have the 1up on with one additional tray, to carry two bikes. I have a 2" hitch receiver on my Subaru Outback so I'm using the adapter. Several hours on the highway, lots of twisty mountain roads, and also some very bumpy and rough fire road driving. I checked the tightness of everything at every opportunity and experienced no loosening up at all, at the hitch receiver, nor on the rest of the unit or add-on tray. It performed very well. The only shortcoming of the thing I can come up with is that with two bikes on, it's pretty hard to do the tilt-down maneuver--that little black bar that you pull is difficult to reach and hold compressed while you do the tilt with two bikes on it. With one bike it's no prob. But that's a fairly minor thing to me, and by the end of the trip I was getting better at it
    Very happy with my 1Up.
    I've come to think of the rack tilt as basically to tilt the rack up and down when it's empty. If you need to get in the back of the car, it's a heck of a lot easier and faster to just remove the closest bike to the car and get into the car, then replace the bike.

Everyone thinks they are going to tilt the rack and bikes and then find out - like you - that its not as easy in actual practice. That said, being able to the rack up for travel without the bikes is necessary and easy with the bikes off the rack.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_m View Post
    I see how that works, the thought of Velcro straps securing a hitch just seems flimsy.
    Seems flimsy to me too which is why I just chained my rack to my hitch. I installed my 1up when I got it about 6 months ago and haven't touch it since. I give it a good shake every now and again to make sure everything is tight and so far so good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Seems flimsy to me too which is why I just chained my rack to my hitch. I installed my 1up when I got it about 6 months ago and haven't touch it since. I give it a good shake every now and again to make sure everything is tight and so far so good.
    The only function of the expander ball is to prevent the rack from sliding out of the receiver by friction. That does not require much force. The expander ball has nothing to do with holding the bikes up. So I'd even guess that the velcro strap is way overkill.

J.

Your Best Friend
    I actually tilt my rack down with two bikes on it relatively often. I don't find it anymore difficult than any other brand of rack.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I do remember somebody rigging a rope or something around the tilt dohicky to make it easier to access with two + bikes on it. It is probably somewhere in the other huge 1up thread.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I do remember somebody rigging a rope or something around the tilt dohicky to make it easier to access with two + bikes on it. It is probably somewhere in the other huge 1up thread.
    Can you find that post? I searched and searched w/out any luck. I've been thinking about how to do it, but figure someone else is probably smarter than me....

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Although I have seen some pretty tough velcro straps I like your idea of a chain. A standard hitch pin would be best but that would require the user to line up holes which is surely what 1up was trying to avoid.

mtbr member
    You could buy an appropriate sized U lock if you don't trust a strong velcro strap.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    You could buy an appropriate sized U lock if you don't trust a strong velcro strap.
    This is what I did:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/car-biker/1up...l#post12135501

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    Yep. I use a KryptoLok U-lock in place of the velco strap. This also gives me a place to attach security cables in case I need to secure the bikes. Works great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by burgrat View Post
    I knows a good idea when I sees one - I copied burgrat Exactly - only I had to go to Lowes to find the clamps. I did have a U-lock as backup but it scraped on the pavement from time to time.

Mike

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I've also been having problems with my rack coming loose and can relate to the sentiment shared by others in this thread. I've had my rack for about 8 months, which is the 1 1/4" with adapter and I drive a 2013 Toyota Tacoma with a camper shell. My usual riding is in Raleigh, NC but I've spent the last several months riding around Alafia and Boyette while being deployed to CENTCOM with the Navy reserves. Mine stayed tight for the first 6 months of use but over the last couple of months it has been loosening on at an increasingly frequent rate. It is now to the point where I have to check it everyday even on days that I drive to work without a bike. I have added a bike chain for added security. At worst, the bolt completely loosened and the rack had slid partially out to the point that the Velcro strap was holding it on. Even with the bike lock on, I get some fore and aft movement when transporting my bike. I also called 1UP and they told me that they have heard similar reports and to check the bolt that connects the 2" adapter piece. I did and it was loose. I've since tightened it but it still comes loose. I really like the rack but hope that I can get this loosening sorted. I'm kind of wishing I had purchased the 2" adapter, but my wife has a 1 1/4" receiver so I liked the added convenience of being able to swap one rack between both cars. I may ask 1UP if they would be willing to swap out the hitch mounts for me, or send me the 2" piece. At this point, I'm not really concerned with the bike falling out because I have the chain attached, but i am kind of concerned with it coming loose and the bike bashing against the back of my truck/camper. Also, it's kind of a pita to tighten the bolt every 30 minutes of drive time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_m View Post
    I see how that works, the thought of Velcro straps securing a hitch just seems flimsy. I wonder if there is a way 1Up could use a standard locking pin to attach to the receiver in addition to their friction ball anti-wobble device.
    You mean like Kuat? My rack doesn't loosen but if it did it still wouldn't fall out. Cause there's a hitch pin. Crazy idea I know but it seems to have worked for quite some time so not really sure the advantage of taking that extra security away. But, as long as 1up has loyal followers that'll make 8 trips to the hardware store to secure their rack rather than relying on it as delivered, I guess they'll keep on selling these things.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 7daysaweek View Post
    You mean like Kuat? My rack doesn't loosen but if it did it still wouldn't fall out. Cause there's a hitch pin. Crazy idea I know but it seems to have worked for quite some time so not really sure the advantage of taking that extra security away. But, as long as 1up has loyal followers that'll make 8 trips to the hardware store to secure their rack rather than relying on it as delivered, I guess they'll keep on selling these things.
    Presuming it's not a problem with the hitch, then if it is a problem with the rack it's a tiny fraction of rack owners.

Just solve the problem. This isn't rocket science and these are not high tolerance/high technology parts.

J.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    3 seasons on the 1up (as delivered, zero trips to the hardware store) and no issues here. I'd be willing to bet that the majority of the time if their is a problem, it originates from something other than the rack.
    Nothing wrong with thinking twice about anything you do though.
    don't tell me, "Show Me " !

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Please let me know what you think...

Thanks!

... I think you just want to bash a small Made in USA company, because you didn't bother to inquire delivery times on the phone... your Forum title is very misleading. You infer there is a problem with the product, when in fact it's a problem you have with delivery times. HUGE difference...

I have been reading the forums to find a good hitch-mount carrier for TWO fat bikes with suspension... then I saw your thread, and it seems you are out to bash a company for little to no reason... and wasting our time... over an issue you could have cleared up personally with that company, and not had to air dirty laundry out here...

You said "Please let me know what you think"... so I'm tellin' ya.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Just an update regarding my experience. 1UP advised to apply additional torque to the rack to keep it from loosening and check it weekly. I've heeded their advice and it's been solid. Seems to loose about a 1/4 turn of torque pressure weekly, which doesn't cause me much concern. I've recently added an additional tray, which doesn't seem to make the problem worse. Just had a couple of buddies in town and the rack performed great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast