They took my yakima rack!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

My yakima rack was STOLEN!!

and I'm not even sure how they did it. I have/had a 2000 Toyota 4runner with a yakima rack. I work in Downtown L.A., and after a 10 hour workday I went home and passed out. Woke up this morning, was loading up, went to put my GF on one of my sprocketrockets, it was then I noticed my crossbars, fairing, and sprocketrockets were gone. All the locks from my rack were missing and there is some damage to one of the control towers (the cover was broken off and the lock is gone).

LAPD says I need to file the report with Pasadena PD because that's where I discovered it, and Pasadena says I need to file it with LAPD. I ended up not reporting it, because my insurance guy said to take the loss and buy new stuff (deductible = $500).

Two Questions
    1. Is this a frequent occurence where the rack itself is stolen without anything else attached?

2. Can anyone get the I.D. (inside diameter) and O.D. (outside diameter) of the yakima crossbars? I can't justify spending $60 on buying another pair of crossbars after having to shell out $300 for new sprocketrockets. Then again if they are some funky size, I guess I will. Anyone made their own before?
    Last edited by Foolish; 11-18-2006 at 07:11 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0