Theft protection for two bikes in a truck bed?- Mtbr.com
    CXK
    mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Theft protection for two bikes in a truck bed?

I would like to take our bikes on a few trips this summer. I have fork mounts attached to my bed rails for mounting. My biggest concern is feeling comfortable leaving the bikes out of our view for possibly up to an hour. Our plans are to take our jet skis on these trips so I'll have to leave the bikes in the truck while were on the lake. We primarily go to paid parks so they have some security but its not like there will be a guard watching the lot.

My idea was to lock the bikes with a thick gauge cable and master lock to the tie downs in my bed. I know the lock is difficult to cut as I had to try and cut one after losing the key. We had to get my Dad's pneumatic saw and slowly cut it off. Then lock the two bikes together with a U lock and lock my truck bed for a little more deterrence. If someone knows a better solution please let me know.

All fat, all the time.
    Do you have any type of roll top or bed cover? Out of sight out of mind...

CXK
    mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Do you have any type of roll top or bed cover? Out of sight out of mind...
    No and I can't put one on unfortunately. Its primarily my work truck but I use it for play. Its got a toolbox and headache rack on it so I can't add a camper shell to lock them in better. I know thieves will find a way to steal it if they really want it but I'd like to deter them as much as possible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CXK View Post
    I know thieves will find a way to steal it if they really want it but I'd like to deter them as much as possible.
    A cable and masterlock are probably okay given that the tie-down in the truck will be a weak point anyway. But know that a determined thieve can quietly nip through a cable with a wire cutter and some time.

A chain would require more noise to cut through. I use one of these 12mm Beast chains and a pair of their little u-locks for such times. Check Amazon and ebay for better prices.

Beast #8018 ? OnGuard Bicycle and Motorcycle Locks
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    You can get some heavy duty chain at a home supply place for far less than that and shrink wrap it yourself. I agree that cable locks are not a good option for anything beyond stopping for coffee.

mtbr member
    I run a thick cable through the frames with a padlock on each of the welded tie-down rings in the corners of the bed. I try not to leave them that way for too long.

What kind of truck is it? My Enduro fits in the back seat of my Supercrew F150 with the seats folded up. Even with both tires on, I can just wheel it right back there -- I just have to slide the passenger seat forward a bit. I put my bike inside this way whenever I'm not comfortable leaving it in back, but I don't transport it that way in order to avoid rubbing against the upholstery and such. I have put two bikes back there quite easily by removing one or both wheels. So, just a suggestion in case you have a crew cab.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    Just remember how easy it is to break into vehicles

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

b4z
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    What kind of truck is it? My Enduro fits in the back seat of my Supercrew F150 with the seats folded up. Even with both tires on
    What size frame? My large 29er barely fits in my 6.6ft bed, there's no way it's fitting inside the cab.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymo853 View Post
    Just remember how easy it is to break into vehicles

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Or houses, or sheds, or garages, or ...
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b4z View Post
    What size frame? My large 29er barely fits in my 6.6ft bed, there's no way it's fitting inside the cab.
    Its a Med frame Enduro, 26'er. Don't know what the wheel base of the bike is. But yeah, flip the seats up, wheel it in. I have to move the passenger seat forward a ways and turn the bars, turn bars about 45 degrees.

It would not have fit in the back of my '06 Chevy crew cab, even if the seats did fold the way they do on the Ford. The F150 Supercrew has a lot of room back there.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

Just a flesh wound
    Chain a mean dog to the bikes. All set! Dogs love pickups.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by b4z View Post
    I have a lg frame 29

I take off the front wheel and it fits easily in the back of my f150 supercrew