Tesla first drive - Motor Trend- Mtbr.com
    120 pounds of xc sex!

Tesla first drive - Motor Trend

Tesla roadster - first drive

@ least the company isnt dead, yet. Weighs 600 pounds more than the elise, but only charges in 3 hours, has awesome acceleration - and has all that TQ @ 0 rpm

Hopefully it means a future for new electric tech!

vid here;

http://www.motortrend.com/av/roadtes...roadster_video
    Team X-poser is back for 2006-

WTB; 1.25 inch tow rack in SoCal

>Ankur<

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by carbnjunkie
    Tesla roadster - first drive

@ least the company isnt dead, yet. Weighs 600 pounds more than the elise, but only charges in 3 hours, has awesome acceleration - and has all that TQ @ 0 rpm

Hopefully it means a future for new electric tech!

vid here;

http://www.motortrend.com/av/roadtes...roadster_video
    Where do you put the bikes?

Nice car, thanks for the post...

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Pretty sweet.

Looks better than an Elise too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    Pretty sweet.

Looks better than an Elise too.

The Tesla is awesome and I think it looks much more mature than the US Elise. I have always loved the Elise, but the old school UK Elise looked like a cartoon car and then US Elise looks like it has an Alien face.

I wish Tesla the best of luck because it takes some big brass balls (and a lot of private money) to take on the well established auto industry with an electric exotic. People poo poo the price tag, but it is the correct way for electric drive train cars to enter the market. Personal cars became popular starting at the top of the market too.

Believe it or not, the Tesla is just the beginning of a whole slew of high performance electric vehicles. Some will have small conventional gas motors to extend the range.

The plough
    Truly cool. Yes, thank you for posting this.

120 pounds of xc sex!

yup

Thanks killroy, those comparisons pics are cool
    Team X-poser is back for 2006-

WTB; 1.25 inch tow rack in SoCal

>Ankur<

mtbr member
    If you listen to the reviews you will hear the drivers comment on how smooth the acceration is when compared to ICE. It sounds like the electric drive train will be more 'drivable" then conventional and this could lead to better lap time in autocross or on the track.

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Edmunds has a road test up as well.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...6/pageNumber=1
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

Single Speed Junkie
    Lets trade out the li-ion batteries for some Li-poly and reduce the weight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bob
    Edmunds has a road test up as well.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...6/pageNumber=1
    Good story.

Its funny how Edmond's takes something positive about electric cars, the quiet operation, and turns it into something negative, a safety hazard. I bet when you are driving a Tesla it is hard NOT to drive like a hooligan. The truth is that at speed most of the noise is tire and wind noise, so electric cars are not dangerously stealth. Electric cars are more sneaky in parking lots. Anyone see that Weed's episode?

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Killroy
    Good story.

Its funny how Edmond's takes something positive about electric cars, the quiet operation, and turns it into something negative, a safety hazard. I bet when you are driving a Tesla it is hard NOT to drive like a hooligan. The truth is that at speed most of the noise is tire and wind noise, so electric cars are not dangerously stealth. Electric cars are more sneaky in parking lots. Anyone see that Weed's episode?
    I agree, the safety thing sounds bogus to me but I would still think that quiet operation would be a negative. A large part of the sports car experience is hearing and feeling the engine/exhaust, at least for me anyway. Maybe if I was in the market for multiple $100k cars (ha!) this might be one of them but no way it would be the only one. Only one gear? Where's the fun in that? Seriously though, I still have a tremendous amount of respect for those guys. Nothing interesting would ever happen without people with somewhat crazy ideas who run with them. I hope they find their niche.
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

The plough
    Well, there is also that infinite torque from 0 RPM to get the adrenaline going. I'd say that would be quite addictive, if sickening to any passengers... or boy racers at traffic lights

V.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bob
    A large part of the sports car experience is hearing and feeling the engine/exhaust, at least for me anyway. ... Only one gear? Where's the fun in that? ....

Yes, there is a visceral stimulation experienced when driving ‘classic cars’. Yet, I am fully satisfied railing a bicycle through curves even though feedback vibration and noise is faint.

mtbr member
    Tesla Roadster vs.Corvette

Guess who wins

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/02...ette-showdown/

There is a lot of information from Elon Musk, including talk of future, less expensive cars dubbed the White Star and the Blue Star.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I work around the corner from the Tesla HQ. They gave my whole office (8 people) test rides in the cars. We were there all after noon on Friday. I must say these cars are fast and corner on a dime, Makes my 06 911 feel like a slug. If they can get the car to max out mileage wise at 400-425, the will make a nice living...To bad the waiting list is like 1.5 yrs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Earth
    I work around the corner from the Tesla HQ. They gave my whole office (8 people) test rides in the cars. We were there all after noon on Friday. I must say these cars are fast and corner on a dime, Makes my 06 911 feel like a slug. If they can get the car to max out mileage wise at 400-425, the will make a nice living...To bad the waiting list is like 1.5 yrs.
    if you ever get the Tesla, can i have your 911?
    Lean back, Hit both brakes, And ask yourself, Do you feel lucky today?

mtbr member
    News and video about the Tesla Roadster's advanced traction control

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/03...ction-control/

mtbr member

Dood!

Quote Originally Posted by Killroy
    Good story.

At speed?

I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually, but right now I prefer it when cars make noise so you know they're there without shoulder checking all the time. Those Prius cabs scare the crap out of me.

Members who have read this thread: 0