Tell me about the Volvo C30?- Mtbr.com
    Noob

Tell me about the Volvo C30?

I just saw one yesterday on the road and really liked the way it looked. As much as I don't want another car payment when I'm about finished with this one. I'm also sick and tired of my car breaking and it has 155kmi on it. Maybe it's just that something broke on the way to work on me.

Does anyone know very much about this car?

mtbr member
    Volvo C30? Oh I want one of them.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    No AWD = meh...get a WRX

Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by nufenstein
    No AWD = meh...
    That's what I was thinking. But AWD would drive the price up too. I looked at a slightly used WRX before I got this car. I was pretty unimpressed. I decided to get the much nicer, but a little more expensive and just a little older (2000) S4. 4.5 years worth of car payments later, thousands of dollars in maintence, and about 100kmi, I still love it, but I hate it at the same time.

I had a friend who put some brake upgrades, turbo/fuel upgrade and basic shocks/springs, and good tires on his WRX of the same era and it was an all around great car. They skimped just a little in every performance area just enough to miss the mark with that car. As I understand, that's not the case with the newer one, but I have yet to ride in or drive one. I'm not a huge fan of the styling either. Another issues is I know I've been spoiled by my car and I'd be hard pressed to step 'down' into something that originally cost half the price my car did with the kind of time I spend in it.

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    I took a look at one but dismissed it fairly quickly for a couple reasons. The first reason was that it seemed to get really expensive when even basic options are added. The second reason was that recent family experience with Volvo has been absolutely horrible. I don't know about the reliability of this particular model but the details of those experiences was enough to turn me off. Too bad because it really is a beautiful car.
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

mtbr member
    I looked at one, plus a Cooper S before buying my Jetta GLI. Wife has had a Volvo since 2002 and all we have done is service it in 70000 miles but I opted against the c30 because it got pricey with a few options and it is just blah to drive and because the gas mileage is terrible.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Volvo's reputation has gone down the crapper since Ford took over...Sorry. The C30 is the same car as a European Ford Focus from what I've read and doesn't perform as well as the VW and Mini in tests done by C&D Magazine.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I like it too. Especially the back part is really "sexy". I know a good forum about Volvo C30 - www.c30world.com - check it out for some info.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nufenstein
    No AWD = meh...get a WRX
    No AWD equals positive. I would get a Subi if they started offering non-AWD cars again. Why carry all that extra weight and friction instead of learning to drive? Almost as distasteful as buying an automatic.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymo853
    No AWD equals positive. I would get a Subi if they started offering non-AWD cars again. Why carry all that extra weight and friction instead of learning to drive? Almost as distasteful as buying an automatic.
    Why again are rally cars AWD? Because the drivers don't know how to drive?

27-29mpg (what I get highway) ain't bad for 280-300hp.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The C30 is heavier than its main market rivals (other hatchbacks). It can also get pricey, depending on options. But, it's more cushy, more Volvo. Slightly different market focus.

That said, I have an '02 V70T5 and like it. It's been reliable up to its current 80k miles. I bought it used in '04 (let somebody else take the initial depreciation).

Volvo has been pretty bad about first-year gremlins on new models. But, the C30 is just a coupe version of the S40/V50. Hopefully, that means most of the gremlins have been worked out. Maybe not. Wait until '09 and it's probably a non-issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Why again are rally cars AWD? Because the drivers don't know how to drive?

27-29mpg (what I get highway) ain't bad for 280-300hp.

You are not driving in a rally. There is a big difference between driving and racing cars.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd
    Volvo's reputation has gone down the crapper since Ford took over...Sorry. The C30 is the same car as a European Ford Focus from what I've read and doesn't perform as well as the VW and Mini in tests done by C&D Magazine.
    Seems odd since the car mags say the newest European Focus (C3) is superior to the current Mark V Golf. Too bad Ford was too short sighted to bring that C3 Focus to the US market. Instead Ford did the refreshing of the C2 Focus claiming it would save money. It ended up costing much more than the certification for the EU Focus would have cost. Mulally needs to wake up and realize it is not 2002 anymore.

Elitest thrill junkie
    You are not driving in a rally. There is a big difference between driving and racing cars.
    And what has that got to do with anything?

Maybe I do drive my car offroad fast?

Maybe I like my car clawing around corners?

Maybe I like going from a stop instead of spinning rear or front wheels?

As far as "all that weight", the WRX I have is about 3250, it's quite a bit lighter than a nissan Z and many other similer cars. The body panels are aluminum, so "all that weight" is close to the ground as it should be. You sound kind of bitter, so save up your money and get the car you really want, don't sit and complain about what you don't have.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    WTF? dude what do you have against AWD? I currently own a manual 2.0 FSI Jetta with GIAC chip but have had several Audis with Quattro and the wife has an AWD Volvo. AWD is great in crappy weather - snow or even just the rain - pull out of a junction quickly and no spin - navigate steep snow covered hills whilst others get stuck - I have a job getting my Jetta up and down my driveway in the snow - whereas never once in the Audis - and it wasn't because I cant drive! Go drive an STI or S4 and tell me AWD is for people that cant drive. You Sir, are a muppet of the highest order.

mtbr member
    Last edited by Raymo853; 02-26-2008 at 06:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd
    I agree 100%, my dad's old '91 Volvo 940 GLE wagon was over 370,000km when it was totaled by a van, it seemed to have no intention of dieing anytime soon. My dad's current car (1996 Volvo 850 GLT wagon) is now over 340,000km and is still going strong. But there are numerous stories of "new" volvo XC90 T6s breaking down. One is even on it's third transmission in three years. Compare that to the over 2,000,000 mile Volvo P1800 which has only had normal maintenance and you can see what Ford has done for Volvo. The 1996 and older Volvos can run forever, but i'm not sold on a new volvo, even with a warranty. Ford, please sell Volvo, stop doing what GM did to Saab. Now to the C30, it is good looking little hatchback, might a be a little small inside for tall people, (i'm 6'1 and had to have the seat as far back as it went) but the T5 engine is nice. It's a Volvo for young people, which is what it's intended market is, but Volvo has missed the mark. What young person is going to spend nearly $50,000 (Cad) on a Volvo hatchback when they can go out and buy an old M5 or Audi S4 for less and have way more car for the money?
    Last edited by Quiksilver; 03-03-2008 at 08:29 PM.
    2007 Giant Trance 2

just along for the ride
    New volvas are pieced together POS from many countries, don't waste your money on that junk! Buy pre 96 made in the motherland or be hosed, good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd also say get a Subie. After years of Honda, Toyotas, Fords, Nissans, and Dodges, I bought the Subaru Forester. That AWD takes me places and brings me back safely that would have anything but my 4x4 Pathfinder begging for mercy. It takes me up icy hills that have cars spinning to the side and gives me just enough clearance to go over rocks and ruts and through mud if needed.

AND it gives be 27-28 on the highway with ease- up to to 31 mpg. It may not be fancy and it may not be the Yuppie choice but that is part what makes it nice. I do like Volvos but only the original ones. I also like Audi's AWD but they are expensive to fix.

The only non-SUV Volvo that would practically work for me is the Cross Country but the relaibility has been so-so at best. That could be a buzzkill, given I'm pretty out there in the middle of nowhere sometimes.

mtbr member
    it's an ugly looking car IMO...i mean, the rear looks like the FRONT of a monorail.....pricey when optioned out...check out the "build your own" section of the wbsite.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I like the way it looks but I like Hatchies in general. I think it is pretty sleek for a hatchback. I also think the Audi Allroad looks great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    I like the way it looks but I like Hatchies in general. I think it is pretty sleek for a hatchback. I also think the Audi Allroad looks great.
    stay away from the allroad...the 2.7t engine in that thing (same as the A6 2.7t and the B5 S4 2.7t) i hear is a complete headache.

Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by GT0neX
    stay away from the allroad...the 2.7t engine in that thing (same as the A6 2.7t and the B5 S4 2.7t) i hear is a complete headache.
    Lol, ur funny. The engines have (about) zero issues if properly mantianted. There have been a few instnaces of timing belt issues before the service interval, but only a few. Turbos go sometimes, but stock not that often really. I'm still on my stock set at 160kmi, but I'm not modified either. Other than that, they are about indestructible. EVERY car has things that commonly go bad. Not to say that B5S4's don't have more than their fare share of things that go bad, but very little of it has to do with the engine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trouble Maker
    Lol, ur funny. The engines have (about) zero issues if properly mantianted. There have been a few instnaces of timing belt issues before the service interval, but only a few. Turbos go sometimes, but stock not that often really. I'm still on my stock set at 160kmi, but I'm not modified either. Other than that, they are about indestructible. EVERY car has things that commonly go bad. Not to say that B5S4's don't have more than their fare share of things that go bad, but very little of it has to do with the engine.
    ...i've had a few friends with all three versions of the vehicle listed above and not a single one has failed to send 'em in to the dealer for engine troubles, yeah one (the s4 of course) was modified, but the other two were stock...so yeah it was very funny to them too , but hey you know more about them then I do since you own one, so go for it

anyways here's the list of what i can recall on each car (all but the S4 have been replaced since then):
    1 turbo gone bad at 56k (A6)...that one was shocking as that's pretty low mileage for a turbo to go (only 3 years old!!!)
    1 water pump gone bad (modded s4) some tensioner pulley/timing belt & then go in again for an 02 sensor
    The allroad for whatever reason went in for not starting up a few times...i guess that was fixed but the car was sold to carmax not long after that...owner got fed up (impulsive car buyer though..i think she just wanted the bmw she picked up after it was sold)
    Last edited by GT0neX; 03-07-2008 at 11:44 PM.

Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by GT0neX
    .anyways here's the list of what i can recall on each car (all but the S4 have been replaced since then):
    1 turbo gone bad at 56k (A6)...that one was shocking as that's pretty low mileage for a turbo to go (only 3 years old!!!)
    1 water pump gone bad (modded s4) some tensioner pulley/timing belt & then go in again for an 02 sensor
    The allroad for whatever reason went in for not starting up a few times...i guess that was fixed but the car was sold to carmax not long after that...owner got fed up (impulsive car buyer though..i think she just wanted the bmw she picked up after it was sold)
    On the A6 turbo, yeah, it happens, really sucks when it does. If I weren't willing and able to replace them on my own when (not if) they do go, I'd have gotten rid of this car a long time ago. At this millage, if I stay stock, they are probably going to be fine 'forever', but I'm mentally preparing myself for if they do happen.

On the S4, you have to be diligent on the maintenance with these cars, especially so if you are modded. I would also question how many miles were on the car when that happened. I do know it happens sometimes under the interval, but it's fairly rare on stock cars. Many people suggest, especially if you are modded, to go less than the interval (it's 90k, some people suggest 60k). The water pump is a 'common' thing as the impeller blades are plastic. Mine was replaced with one with a metal impeller when I had my timing belt done at 90k. There is a reason far beyond any maintenance issues as to why I still own the car, and I would imagine your friend has a similar mindset, as do most who one these cars. After 4.5 years I still love getting in it and driving it. Especially with the 20" of snow we got the other day! If I had these issues in another car, I'd probably be a little (lot) less inclined to still own it. I would hardly consider 02 sensors engine problems, they are 'auxiliary' sensors and while not a regular maintenance item, they are an expendable item, much like brake pads and rotors. Actually both of my secondary 02 sensors haven't been working for a long time. F em, they don't really do anything. If they were his primary 02 sensors, it's obviously a different story, but I would also question if that happened while he was modded or stock, and if modded did this help to ruin the 02 sensors (too rich settings).

Allroads are cool cars, but you have to own it for the right reasons, such as someone who MTB's a lot. They can take you a lot of places most cars, even AWD ones can't. Obviously not like a 4wd truck, but it's a great utility vehicle. They have a ton of storage room inside for cargo. Think about a fancy Outback with an adjustable air suspension. If someone buys it for the novelty of being different and they impulse buy on cars, the novelty is probably going to wear of very fast, but then again, people like that usually don't keep any car for very long.

Lopen is sneller....
    Oct 2003
    The Volvord C30 is a very, very, very small car do realize that. Besides that it drives like a Volvo FH...it sure has the steering wheel from the FH... I liked the 2.5T engine but liked it even better in the Focus RS...

Check it out at a Volvo dealer and see for yourself how impractical this car is for does who like mountain biking, skiing etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks
    WTF? dude what do you have against AWD? You Sir, are a muppet of the highest order.
    OK my take on AWD. Many people that demand AWD for theirs cars and really do not really need it. And many see it as an excuse to not buy snow tires. That has soured my feeling towards AWD. Yes people that live in snowy areas can really benefit from having AWD, but they still need to buy snow tires as AWD does nothing for turning and braking. Actually when you include the user as a variable, having AWD "worsens" steering and braking because the user ends up being fooled on the current state of road slipperiness because the AWD system masks it. And the accident stats show this as AWD cars have a much higher accident rate per mile traveled in bad weather. But as I said that is usually caused by dumb butt drivers that do not know how to drive.

I used to live in Pittsburgh and central rural PA with allot more snow than DC receives and I always did fine with my FWD Mazda Protege with snow tires. Often I was doing allot better than the typical AWD SUV out on the roads as I did not slip out on every curve.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I agree to an extent- most drivers can be fooled by the sense of security 4WD and AWD provides them, especially the large majority of SUV drivers who never drive offroad or practice sliding on ice but have thee heavy vehicles that can get out of control easily and are hard to tame once the slide starts.

Anyway, a lot of us do not get AWD for just snow and ice. We get it since we go offroad to access remote trailheads and steep/loose terrain. Almost every time it gets icy, I take my car out and play in a large/empty parking lot for a while and practice slides and turns. No, I don't scream and holler and do figure eights either.

My AWD has got me out of steep/loose and sometimes muddy spots only a 4WD could. Maybe I'm in the minority here but if I were to get a 2WD truck, for example...I'd put on the Bridgestone A/T Revos or (second choice) BFG All Terrains for amazing traction in all conditions. Too bad they don't make smaller versions for cars.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    We just reviewed this car on our carreview.com website.

http://www.carreview.com/VOLVOC30REVIEWCRX.ASPX

video review is available there too.
    http://reviews.carreview.com/blog/20...-video-review/

fc
    Last edited by fc; 03-21-2008 at 09:36 AM.
    IPA will save America

Members who have read this thread: 0