Tacoma/Topper/Rack questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Tacoma/Topper/Rack questions

Howdy Y'all:

I love my Tacoma almost as much as I love my bikes. It's a 2000 and gets better with age, like good wine and the best women.

I'm pretty much living out of it for now, just camping in the desert and riding, sleeping in the back. The topper is now 10 years old and leaking. I have spent lots of time and money on it and decided it's time for a new one. I want a higher one for more headroom. I have a Yakima 2 place rack with two Highroller mounts and it's working perfectly for me. I do have to use a little scaffolding-type ladder to get the bikes up there safely. I'm not a tall girl.

Who has experience with the higher ones that ramp up toward the rear, like the A.R.E. TW series, Leer 122, or similar? (Like this: http://www.4are.com/product/tw/) I'm curious how different it is trying to load with that ramped up angle happening. And wondering how much harder it will be with the 4 or so inches of extra height. It's already somewhat challenging and I don't want to make it too difficult for myself, but the extra headroom would be way handy. My other thought is going with the A.R.E. Mx which is sort of a hybrid between cab-height ones and the high-back ones. LIke this: http://www.4are.com/product/mx/.

Does anyone have a similar setup? Can you post some pics?

Also I'm thinking of going through Suburban Toppers in Denver, they have a lifetfime guarantee against leakage (how!?) and have been great so far, and the best deal. Anyone have experience with them?

Thank you!
    J
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    I have a Leer 100R Cap with a roof rack and its awesome, but I wish I got the one that bumped up 6inches or so taller Leer 180. I really like the A.R.E MX cap with the Walk In Door.

mtbr member
    I have an A.R.E tonneau cover for my 2003 Tacoma. I am very happy with the quality of their product.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I would recommend the MX series with windoors. In my old ranger, I had that setup and the windoors were a blessing when it was hot out and made it easier to get things out of the truck. Carpet too, has a slight insulating factor.

Members who have read this thread: 0