T2 nightmare- Mtbr.com

Thread: T2 nightmare

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

T2 nightmare

So my new T2 arrived two days ago. I go to assemble it tonight and one of the bolts is cross threaded or seized.

In step one---for those of you who have one---it tells you to remove a bolt, swing one of the bars around and secure the bar to a new position with the bolt. Problem is I cannot get the bolt off, after 90 mins of coercing it, it won't budge. All of the other bolts on the assembly can be loosed/tightened with ease, so I know the tool works and I'm turning in the correct direction.

Anyone have this happen? Please tell me there's a remedy b/c to ship this bugger back is going to be a PITA and I really needed to use it this weekend.

I'm in the NYC NY area...anyone know of a Thule dealer that installs?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli
    So my new T2 arrived two days ago. I go to assemble it tonight and one of the bolts is cross threaded or seized.

In step one---for those of you who have one---it tells you to remove a bolt, swing one of the bars around and secure the bar to a new position with the bolt. Problem is I cannot get the bolt off, after 90 mins of coercing it, it won't budge. All of the other bolts on the assembly can be loosed/tightened with ease, so I know the tool works and I'm turning in the correct direction.

Anyone have this happen? Please tell me there's a remedy b/c to ship this bugger back is going to be a PITA and I really needed to use it this weekend.

I'm in the NYC NY area...anyone know of a Thule dealer that installs?

Thanks
    that sucks man, if you can't get it off maybe take it to your local rack store and get them to do it. I don't know of any in NYC, but google and you should be able to find some. Good luck man.

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    This sounds like a job for Threaded Fasteners FAQ version 7.2!

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/fasteners/fastener.html
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thank you everyone. This was a case of "wrong tool for the job.' The multitool bar that Thule ships with the racks isn't exactly a precision instrument I found!

I went to the LBS and the mechanics took a few pulls with a long-armed socket wrench and it was off.

Rest of the assmebly went smoothly

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    good to hear, but do keep those tools, you need them for putting it on the car

mtbr member
    Forget those tools, just get a socket wrench and the correct socket for the bolt that stabilizes the rack to the hitch, put that in your trunk. It is always with the car and makes it so much easier to put on or take off.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn_goat
    Forget those tools, just get a socket wrench and the correct socket for the bolt that stabilizes the rack to the hitch, put that in your trunk. It is always with the car and makes it so much easier to put on or take off.
    I totally agree! I was thinking that I need to run the car through the car wash and there's no way I'll use that crappy Thule multi tool again. As you suggested, I'm going to keep a dedicated socket in the trunk for times when I want to pop the rack off.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    what size socket wrench would i need?

Hip
    mtbr member
    I HATE the fact that it mounts with a bolt into my hitch. Why cant it just be a regular pin that I can Lock like any other hitch mount...its a real POS for 300 beans and piss poor design IMO. I was putting mine together today. With the spare tire on my jeep I dont think it will fold up. I didnt check yet because I feel like crap and didnt finsih putting it together. I am probably going to permantly mount it in an extension then lock that into my hitch with a regular pin that locks. I like to leave it on and unless I use a cable lock...it only take one bolt to steal it...plus I need the extension anyway to fold it up...

Hip
    mtbr member
    It folds up nice even with the spare...now I just have to figure out how to lock it so I can just leave it in the hitch.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hip
    It folds up nice even with the spare...now I just have to figure out how to lock it so I can just leave it in the hitch.
    Thule sells a hitch lock. It works just fine.

Hip
    mtbr member

Cool...

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli
    Thule sells a hitch lock. It works just fine.

I looked on the site and didnt see one. Thanks. Ill find it..

mtbr member
    it's called the snug tite lock, it's $39

the reason hitch racks use a bolt is to take up the play so the rack doesn't wobble....no big deal when you are towing a trailer but the thing needs to be solid for carrying bikes.

mtbr member
    Thule's hitch bolt is one of the reasons I bought the T2- it tightens the rack well enough to not have any sway or rattle. I would not have bought one with just a pin. I think the Thule design is really good. Then again, it was initially a Sportworks design.

Hip
    mtbr member

I now agree...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMountain
    Thule's hitch bolt is one of the reasons I bought the T2- it tightens the rack well enough to not have any sway or rattle. I would not have bought one with just a pin. I think the Thule design is really good. Then again, it was initially a Sportworks design.

I got the lock and installed it. After using this rack for a week I have to say that I really like it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I just got the T2 with the snug tight lock as well. I plan on leaving it on all the time. Is it gonna rust, or should I take it off in rain and bad weather? I have an FJ with a spare and it fold fine without an extension, I just had to adjust the far bike holder.

I wonder why?
    Don't leave your bike(s) on the T2. The bike locking mechanism can be easily circumvented in less than 30 seconds (with no tools required) with bikes that have QR on the front wheel. Bolted axles take a bit longer and require a wrench.

Simply undo the rear tire strap, undo the front QR, remove the front wheel, remove the bake from the rack and reassemble.

I like the fact that the rack is easy to use. I use a couple of cable locks for security (just popping into a store, etc.). I wouldn't leave the bike(s) on the rack unattended for any period of time.

i1dry?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I wasnt planning on leaving the bike on the rack. I was wondering if the actual rack was going to rust, and if it was alright to leave the rack on the car all the time

I wonder why?
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanyRocket
    I wasnt planning on leaving the bike on the rack. I was wondering if the actual rack was going to rust, and if it was alright to leave the rack on the car all the time
    Mine is showing signs of a bit of rust on and around some of the bolts. I have only had it one year and took it off for the winter.

i1dry?

~I Ride In Circles ~
    I installed my rack 3 days ago.. Took about 30 min to install the Curt hitch and another hour to set up the T2. I took my time adjusting everything. The rack is nice. I love it, I also bought the Thule locktite thing which is pretty simple. I love this rack.. Glad I spent the extra on it.
    ~ it's all good ~

Members who have read this thread: 0