• 10-14-2009
    TX_Shifter
    T2 gone, need new idea's for my *new* Forester
    Sold off our Ford Explorer and then selling the Thule T2 that used to transport my two bikes (which was very nice, but I don't want to install a rear hitch, so it was sold).

I now need to get some idea's on how to fit two bikes into the hatchback of my Forester.
    I do have a roof rack, but I do not want to mount the bikes on top of the roof :nono: .

Please share your ideas / pictures on how you fit two bikes in your hatchbacks :thumbsup:

Thanks,
  • 10-14-2009
    jrm
    1-1/4 performance export rack
    stable rack and wont break the bank.
  • 10-24-2009
    Jayem
    I have a wrx wagon, but I've transported bikes in foresters quite a few times. If I had a forester, I'd never transport bikes in it. Given that it's pretty much a car, you will screw up the interior eventually. Just not worth it. Put a hitch on there.
  • 10-24-2009
    cracksandracks.com
    i would personally use the roof of the car. subaru crossbars are strong enough to carry bikes and the yakima forklift is a really nice carrier that fits on to factory crossbars.
    it's got a really good skewer, will accomodate a disc brake caliper and is super sturdy.

add up the cost of installing a hitch and purchasing another t2, and you're going to be in the $700 range. other strap racks have dual bike arms to carry the bikes, and most full suspension bikes don't fit well on these types of racks...which is probably why you had the t2 to begin with.
  • 10-24-2009
    gravitylover
    Saris Thelma hitch rack. They will be coming out with an updated version this winter that works better for bigger bikes. The wheel holders will have a larger diameter to work better with 29'ers and fat tires and the arms will be another two inches further apart to handle longer wheelbases better.
  • 10-24-2009
    Jayem
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    i would personally use the roof of the car. subaru crossbars are strong enough to carry bikes and the yakima forklift is a really nice carrier that fits on to factory crossbars.
    it's got a really good skewer, will accomodate a disc brake caliper and is super sturdy.

add up the cost of installing a hitch and purchasing another t2, and you're going to be in the $700 range. other strap racks have dual bike arms to carry the bikes, and most full suspension bikes don't fit well on these types of racks...which is probably why you had the t2 to begin with.

That's a little conservative for the hitch, but in any case, the more you drive the more it pays for itself. The loss of mpg with a roof-rack means the hitch pays for itself, or that the more you drive with a roof rack the more it costs, vs. the opposite effect with the hitch.