Swagman XC2 vs Sportrack (platform bike racks)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Swagman XC2 vs Sportrack (platform bike racks)

Sportrack $150

Swagman XC2 $122

which is the better rack and why?

is the sport rack worth the $30 price increase?

can some people hook me up with some pics?
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I just installed my sportrack yesterday. look closely at the pictures.... I like the wheel holders more on the sportrack and the sportrack has a bend in the hitch tube that lifts the bikes higher up and gives more clearance and less chance of the wheel sitting right behind the exhaust and popping.

both seem to be very good racks with very good reviews though. look at it this way– you're already saving a lot of cash over a thule/yakima so even if it's $30 more you still come out waaay ahead

mtbr member
    Two of my buddys run the Swagman. It works but they are constantly bending and hammering on the rack to get them to bend back. The tire hoops are flimsy. Not a great rack IMO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I picked up my Sportrack from etrailer.com a few months ago. It is simple and works well for my needs. It's lightweight and with the threaded bolt it locks into either a 1 1/4" or 2" receiver and doesn't move or wobble at all. I can get in to the trunk when I have it on the car, but can't open the hatch on the suv when I have a bike on it. The only tweak I made at time of assembly was to tighten the bolts at the pivot points to snug things up a bit.

mtbr member
    I have the Sportrack and very satisfied with it. It gets the job done. There's a few pics in the 'Recommend me a rack' thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Sportrack all the way!!!!

mtbr member
    sportrack it is, unless someone has a better suggestion for $150

can a curt class 1 hitch work? it has the 1 1/4" mount
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    So i've received my Spotrack 2 Bike Hitch Rack.

Overall its is a good rack. I've driven about 50-100 miles on it with highway/local NYC roads. Bikes haven't been scratched or anything, nor has my car. Generally i've felt safe on the highway with it up to 70mph.

The one (big) problem i've had with it is that my bike almost fell off the rack on the highway today. I'm not sure if it was user error, or defect. My rockhopper was on the outside rack and i was cruising on the highway around 60mph, hit a bump and saw the bike move in an awkward way. it didn't look/feel right at all. Immediately i pull over to right lane, flashers on and slow to 30mph. Pull over 1 mile later and my bike was hanging off the rack. The top tube hook was off the bike. Luckily the only things holding my bike off the pavement were the security cable and the wheel velcro straps. (nice!) I fix it up, tighten that knob for the TT Hook and drive home going 50mph.

Also, that security lock/cable didn't work at one point, but all seems to be well now. If that problem were to stay, i'd be forced to RMA it back to etrailer. Assembly also took about 20 minutes or so.

Let me know if you guys have any questions about this rack.

BTW, i am upgrading from this rack, which is being temporarily used by my cousin until further notice.

RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm glad that you're happy with the new rack and it's one hell of an upgrade IMO.

Members who have read this thread: 0