Swagman XC or Sportrack 2EZ/Hollywood SportRider/Xport Flatbed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Swagman XC or Sportrack 2EZ/Hollywood SportRider/Xport Flatbed

I am in the market for a hitch rack and I want a platform type for two bikes. Before we get started, I don't have the cash for a Thule/Yakima. The one issue I have with the Thule/Yakima racks, besides price, is the weight. I have a Class 1 hitch and I would like to keep the weight to a minimum. So I have narrowed it down to these options, so far.

I have researched both the Swagman and the Sportrack versions and have pros and cons about each. I have a few questions and hopefully someone here can provide the info to help me make up my mind.

For starters, I like the Swagman because of the ratcheting arms on the center mast and that the arms can be locked using a padlock. I don't like the wheel hoops and the fact that the images I have seen of the rack, it appears to stick straight out from the hitch. Question 1, does the newer model have any rise from the hitch up to the rack?

I like the Sportrack/Hollywood/Xport version because it does have rise from the hitch to the rack and I like the style of the wheel hoops on this rack. However, I am wondering about the construction of some of the parts. Question 2 - 4, Are any of the parts of the rack plastic? If so, what parts? I know that the tightening knobs are probably plastic but is there plastic on any of the rest of the brackets?

I would like to look at both of these racks before buying, but that is not possible. So any help you guys can provide is greatly appreciated.

Dirt

ballbuster

I have an X-Port

Quote Originally Posted by dirt_donkey
    I am in the market for a hitch rack and I want a platform type for two bikes. Before we get started, I don't have the cash for a Thule/Yakima. The one issue I have with the Thule/Yakima racks, besides price, is the weight. I have a Class 1 hitch and I would like to keep the weight to a minimum. So I have narrowed it down to these options, so far.

I have researched both the Swagman and the Sportrack versions and have pros and cons about each. I have a few questions and hopefully someone here can provide the info to help me make up my mind.

For starters, I like the Swagman because of the ratcheting arms on the center mast and that the arms can be locked using a padlock. I don't like the wheel hoops and the fact that the images I have seen of the rack, it appears to stick straight out from the hitch. Question 1, does the newer model have any rise from the hitch up to the rack?

I like the Sportrack/Hollywood/Xport version because it does have rise from the hitch to the rack and I like the style of the wheel hoops on this rack. However, I am wondering about the construction of some of the parts. Question 2 - 4, Are any of the parts of the rack plastic? If so, what parts? I know that the tightening knobs are probably plastic but is there plastic on any of the rest of the brackets?

I would like to look at both of these racks before buying, but that is not possible. So any help you guys can provide is greatly appreciated.

Dirt
    Pretty dang solid

All steel construction except for:

KNobs, but they have steel threaded nut inserts. You don't need to make them super tight anyway. Good quality knobs. No issues, and I can tighten them down pretty dang tightly

Molded bushings between the wheel baskets and load bar. Just the insert in between the steel bits. Makes sliding them up and down easier when loose.

Clamps around the frame hooks. Like the wheel baskets.

Tube ends with loops for velcro straps. They can pop out if you leave the velcro straps unfastened. I usually don't use the velcro to hold the bike wheels down, so I just leave them looped on each other.

The load bars can fold up. The inside ends of the load bar stick down when the load bars are folded up, and on my car they sometimes scrape the ground on steep driveway aproaches or exits.

Basically, anything that has any actual weight on it is made from steel.

mtbr member
    I have the 2EZ...it's okay. The quality isn't all that great but I'm sure it's strong enough. I've had two 34 pound bikes on it with no drama. I still prefer the Yakima Cobra on my other car.

If I were to do it over, I think I'd look at getting one of these:
    http://cyclesimplex.com/index.html

Calm Like a Bomb
    i had the sportrack and used it for about 6 months..the rack was decently solid but the threads on the knobs for the hooks got stripped about 2-3 months in....so i ended up securing them with rope which was a pain in the rear..luckily i was able to take it back for a full refund

of the 2 that u mentioned i would choose the swagman simply for the rachet system...i agree the hoops look pretty crappy (i like the rise the hoops have on the sportrack) but they will work just fine
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

mtbr member
    I have the XPORT as well, and I think it is great. As pimpbot stated, it is built very well and is solid, not to mention very easy to install/remove.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    We went with the Swagman.

Pics and details here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...17728#poststop

Members who have read this thread: 0