Swagman racks- Mtbr.com

Thread: Swagman racks

Spin-stabilized

Swagman racks

Ok, nevermind. I have simpler needs now.

I need a 2-bike hitch rack that swings down loaded to allow rear hatch door opening AND one that will fit both a 2" and a 1.25" receiver (with some kind of adapter I assume). Basically if the 1.25" version of the T2 can be fitted into a 2" receiver with an adapter I'll go out and buy it.
    Last edited by bailout; 05-06-2008 at 01:21 AM.
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I don't recommend using adapters if you can avoid it. The problem is the tolerance between the bar on the rack and the opening on the hitch is not that tight. With two interfaces - one for the 2" and one for the 1.25" portion, the rack will wobble and clank like you won't believe. Most bike racks have some kind of anti-wobble feature built in, but that typically doesn't work for the adapter.

If I were you, I'd pick a rack and then purchase a replacement lower bar so you can convert the rack back and forth between 1.25" and 2". It usually is just a couple of bolts to do that and it is MUCH more stable.

If you'd like help finding a solution that works, give us a call or shoot us an email.

Ken

Spin-stabilized
    What's a lower bar exactly? Does this mean that I can put a 2" receiver on my corolla? If they made 2" bars for sedans then my problems would be over. I am set on buying a Thule T2 with a 2" stinger. My Grand Cherokee has a 2" receiver. I'll use the rack on that primarily.
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bailout
    What's a lower bar exactly? Does this mean that I can put a 2" receiver on my corolla? If they made 2" bars for sedans then my problems would be over. I am set on buying a Thule T2 with a 2" stinger. My Grand Cherokee has a 2" receiver. I'll use the rack on that primarily.
    It's unlikely that a 2" receiver is available for a Corolla. that's a class 3 receiver. what you'll need is a bar and plates for 1 1/4" reciever. I bought a sawman on ebay and went to a local machine shop and bought 1 1/4" square tube and 1 1/4 x 3/8 bar stock and made my own adaptor. Total cost $10

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I mean the bar that sticks into the hitch opening. Usually the only difference between a 1.25" version and a 2" version of a rack is that a different bar is bolted onto the base of the rack. Few rack brands advertise that capability and virtually all of them are special order items. The nice thing about that is that the bar is rigidly bolted to the rack and there is no room for slop.

Members who have read this thread: 0