SUV A/T Tires for Lake Tahoe Driving- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 5k bike 50cent legs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    5,027

    SUV A/T Tires for Lake Tahoe Driving

    I'm torn between getting a second set of snow specific tires like the Blizzaks that I take on/off in rotation with my All Season tires, or just getting a set of A/T tires that I leave on year round. I live in the Bay Area and drive up to Tahoe once a month during the snow season. On my Chevy Tahoe you're technically not supposed to run chains (I think this is a bit of CYA on GM's part), otherwise I'd just run chains on an All Season tire and call it a day. Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Rollin 29s
    Reputation: isleblue65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    912
    I had a dedicated set of Blizzak tires/ wheels for the winter when I lived in Minneapolis, and that was definitely the way to go there. You left them on for 6 months of the year.

    For California, I think this would be a pain once per month to install 4 wheels/ tires. You would wear them out quickly between where you live and where the snow starts sticking to the road, and often you only need 4Wd or chains in a few places if at all.

    Is your Tahoe 4WD?

    The best all terrain/ all season truck/ SUV tires Iíve ever had were Cooper Discoverer AT from Americaís Tire. Great wearing and aggressive tread that was surprisingly quiet rolling yet had really good traction. Americaís tire has a tread pattern of this tire that are distributed only to them.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

  3. #3
    Flat Pluto Society
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    16,488
    For $8 a month ($35 a year) you can sign up for Consumer Reports- they have a pretty extensive amount of ratings for all types of tires, plus advice on what type to get for your situation.

    https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/index.htm

    https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...uide/index.htm
    Anti demagogue.


    Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    660
    Not sure why your started a new thread. Here is the one you started in the beginning of the month. I'm pretty sure the same people will give the same advice.

    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...7&share_type=t

    Snow Tires for SUVs

    Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Rollin 29s
    Reputation: isleblue65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    912
    Quote Originally Posted by gundrted View Post
    Not sure why your started a new thread. Here is the one you started in the beginning of the month. I'm pretty sure the same people will give the same advice.

    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...7&share_type=t

    Snow Tires for SUVs

    Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    Hmm, yes look at your other thread. Same advise.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 5k bike 50cent legs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    5,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    For $8 a month ($35 a year) you can sign up for Consumer Reports- they have a pretty extensive amount of ratings for all types of tires, plus advice on what type to get for your situation.

    https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/index.htm

    https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...uide/index.htm
    Yep, I have one. Interestingly, differing reviewers give differing reviews on A/T tires. I like first person experience, particularly people who are driving from SF Bay to Tahoe.

  7. #7
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 5k bike 50cent legs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    5,027

    SUV A/T Tires for Lake Tahoe Driving

    Quote Originally Posted by gundrted View Post
    Not sure why your started a new thread. Here is the one you started in the beginning of the month. I'm pretty sure the same people will give the same advice.

    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...7&share_type=t

    Snow Tires for SUVs

    Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    Different more specific question. Want to make sure I get many different perspectives as this could end up being a major time suck decision depending on which way I go.

  8. #8
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,646
    I run BF Groodrich Ko2's in WI for 5-6 months worth of winter and they have been fine, should be good enough for an occasion trip to Tahoe. I sure wouldn't mess with switching to a dedicated snow tire just for a few trips. Then again I've spent 35 years driving/playing in the snow and can make just about anything work

  9. #9
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 5k bike 50cent legs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    5,027
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I run BF Groodrich Ko2's in WI for 5-6 months worth of winter and they have been fine, should be good enough for an occasion trip to Tahoe. I sure wouldn't mess with switching to a dedicated snow tire just for a few trips. Then again I've spent 35 years driving/playing in the snow and can make just about anything work
    That's what I'm thinking, the AT tires should be good enough. Just want to make sure it's a big enough improvement over the stock Michelin Energy Saver A/S to justify the expense.

  10. #10
    Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Reputation: chuckha62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,551
    I run ATs on my Suburban year round. I like Yokohama Geolanders and have bought 3 sets for two different vehicles over the years.

    I do not carry chains. If you have a 4WD vehicle with snow tires, you will not be required to install chains. The CHP will close the road. Been playing that game for 25 years.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

  11. #11
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 5k bike 50cent legs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    5,027
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    I run ATs on my Suburban year round. I like Yokohama Geolanders and have bought 3 sets for two different vehicles over the years.

    I do not carry chains. If you have a 4WD vehicle with snow tires, you will not be required to install chains. The CHP will close the road. Been playing that game for 25 years.
    THIS is what Iím looking for!

    Howís the gas mileage on those compared with regular all seasons tires? Snow/Ice performance in Tahoe area when itís bad weather?

    The other thing about Tahoe is the roads are usually wet, as they are salted. The wet performance of true snow tires is usually not great.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    71
    I don't drive in California, although snow is snow, and my money buys Cooper Discoverer AT3s. Great on road, great off road, very good in the rainy PNW(you know that wet stuff that you see on TV). Excellent in the snow, I go up to the mountains a few times a month sometimes towing a trailer and they have great traction in deep snow and even frozen over snow.

  13. #13
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 5k bike 50cent legs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    5,027
    Quote Originally Posted by TSleep View Post
    I don't drive in California, although snow is snow, and my money buys Cooper Discoverer AT3s. Great on road, great off road, very good in the rainy PNW(you know that wet stuff that you see on TV). Excellent in the snow, I go up to the mountains a few times a month sometimes towing a trailer and they have great traction in deep snow and even frozen over snow.
    Thanks man! On the list of contenders.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    176
    www.tirerack.com
    Real world reviews of real world tires. Reviews include dry ratings, wet ratings, winter/snow, comfort, treadwear ratings.
    Reviews built on hundreds of submissions covering up to millions of actual-use miles.
    Much more accurate than what you'll learn from just a few people on an internet forum.

  15. #15
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 5k bike 50cent legs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    5,027
    Quote Originally Posted by robbnj View Post
    www.tirerack.com
    Real world reviews of real world tires. Reviews include dry ratings, wet ratings, winter/snow, comfort, treadwear ratings.
    Reviews built on hundreds of submissions covering up to millions of actual-use miles.
    Much more accurate than what you'll learn from just a few people on an internet forum.
    Yep! I'm casting a wide net.

  16. #16
    Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Reputation: chuckha62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,551
    I get tires at jobber prices and install them myself, since I have access to the equipment. I had a choice between the Cooper Discoverer ATs and the Yokos (with the Coopers being only about $10/tire more) and went with the Yokos mostly because of my past positive experiences.

    Now, my 'Burb is a 2500 series truck (3/4 Ton) with a 10000 lb tow rating. I have a trailer behind it more than most folks would. Given these two factors, I always get E-rated tires and inflate them to 65-70 psi. The Yokos are reasonably quiet tires for an AT. I can't speak for the Cooper, but my buddy loves them on his Yukon XL (1/2 ton). I've run them in snow and ice and feel that the traction is good. Truth be told, I never really think about them except that I just changed them out (after 48K miles) on 06-Nov. and they feel REALLY good compared to the worn out ones.

    Every tire (size 265-75x16) balanced with less than an ounce and a half of weight on factory GM 2500 rims. This is a pretty big tire to balance with less than 1.5 oz. per tire/wheel.

    As for fuel mileage... I stopped keeping track 100k miles ago with this beast. I have 175K on it now and have had it since it turned 40K. I did go to Disneyland and back with it in '05 and got a tick under 17 mpg (straight freeway driving) with the GoodYear Silent Armors on it back then. It doesn't seem noticeably different, now. As I say though, it's towing something so often, that I'm sure it's crap mileage.

    I hope this helps.

    Chuck

    SUV A/T Tires for Lake Tahoe Driving-mag-7-4.jpg
    Last edited by chuckha62; 12-28-2018 at 10:49 AM.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,826
    I run the General Grabber AT2's on my Suburban year round and do fine in New England.
    Similar to BFG A/Ts but better price.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drag_slick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    397
    My 2500 Silverado gets Goodyear Duratrac's, which are severe snow rated, and it's a snow plow truck in the winter. My wife's suburban has Firestone Destination AT's which are not severe snow rated but do very well in the snow. I know a few people who are running Falken Wildpeak A/T3W, which are severe snow rated and I'll probably try a set on the burb next. My kids' cars get Blizzaks swapped for winter, but the 4x4's get AT tires year round. Expect a little hit on mpg with an AT tire vs. a highway tread.

  19. #19
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 5k bike 50cent legs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    5,027
    I ended up ordering the Continental Contact Terrain AT, got a pretty good deal $860 out the door, balanced, etc.

    I haven't taken delivery yet, so there is still time to talk me out of them!
    Last edited by 5k bike 50cent legs; 12-30-2018 at 01:14 AM.

  20. #20
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 5k bike 50cent legs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    5,027
    In the end I bought the Cooper AT3 4S. The Conti's were on back order, and I think I will like the Coopers better anyway. Will report once I have enough miles on them, but so far they feel far superior on road vs the OEM Michelins.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,826
    Sweet.

    I've never tried Contis for my trucks, but their DWS all seasons are my go-to choice for my cars.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  22. #22
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 5k bike 50cent legs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    5,027
    First update: tried the AT3 4S on very slick rainy roads today that are about 20% grade in some spots. Fantastic traction both in acceleration and braking. The AT3 4S seems to have none of the wet traction issues that many AT tires have.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    1,284
    How many miles were on the tires you replaced?

    Just checking so as not to confuse good traction on a new tire with a worn down tire.


    A typical comment on 'new tires' is how good the traction is compared to "brand-x" that was worn down.

  24. #24
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 5k bike 50cent legs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    5,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    How many miles were on the tires you replaced?

    Just checking so as not to confuse good traction on a new tire with a worn down tire.


    A typical comment on 'new tires' is how good the traction is compared to "brand-x" that was worn down.
    "Old Tires" had 1300 miles on them. They were the OEM Michelin Energy Saver A/S.

  25. #25
    Rollin 29s
    Reputation: isleblue65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    912
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    First update: tried the AT3 4S on very slick rainy roads today that are about 20% grade in some spots. Fantastic traction both in acceleration and braking. The AT3 4S seems to have none of the wet traction issues that many AT tires have.
    Great choice! I had them on my Tacoma and they were the best AT tires Iíve ever had. When the OEM Michelin tires wear out on my F150, Iíll be replacing them with the AT3.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

Similar Threads

  1. The Lake Trail, Lake Tahoe CA
    By She&I in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-07-2018, 06:30 PM
  2. Recommend some rides in South Lake Tahoe or Tahoe elsewhere?
    By Dopaminer_09 in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-06-2018, 05:04 PM
  3. The Lake Trail, Lake Tahoe CA
    By She&I in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-01-2018, 04:47 AM
  4. South Lake Tahoe lake level?
    By acctnut in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-29-2011, 09:14 AM
  5. For both Pro SUV and Anti SUV
    By akafroggy in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-20-2004, 06:49 PM

Members who have read this thread: 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.