SUV interior rack questions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

SUV interior rack questions?

newbie here. i was thinking of fabricating up a 2 bike rack to put in the back of my ford explorer. MY LBS gave me the idea when they showed me some universal truck bed kits. i was thinking of screwing 2 of the fork mounts in a piece of 2x6. and then securing it to the floor. anyone dne this? or any ideas?

mtbr member

Works Great

i've used this set up for years, but i dont mount the board to the interior. I use a bungee cord over the bottom brackets to keep them in place, but really dont need that. Just be sure to off-set the mounts so that one handle bar can fit infront of the other, otherwise the two bikes may be too wide for your vehicle. Just be sure to take some measurements first. when i got my new bike with 130mm forks on it, it wouldnt fit anymore.

mtbr member
    I've been doing this with my explorer for years. I use a 1x6 and bungee cords, though I think the bungees are really just for peace of mind and to keep the board stable when there isn't any bikes attached. In reality, once the bike is attached the board doesn't budge much at all. I also used small bolts coming up from the bottom with nuts on them instead of screwing down into board. Doing it this way allows me to have a bunch of different holes drilled in the board so I can easily move the fork mount around when needed.

Members who have read this thread: 0