Suggestions needed: Pickup Truck Rack- Mtbr.com
    AggieinSA
    Sep 2004

Suggestions needed: Pickup Truck Rack

Does anyone have any recomendations on a good item to use to transport my bike in my truck bed? IThanks!
    Last edited by aggieinsa; 09-30-2004 at 08:32 PM. Reason: clarification

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aggieinsa
    Does anyone have any recomendations on a good item to use to transport my bike in my truck bed? IThanks!
    Check out the yak locking bed heads. Mount them on the sides rather than the front and don't worry about your sleds when you're chowin' on a burrito at baha fresh after the ride.

There may be similar products from other rack co.'s, but I'be been very satisfied with these little gems, except for the $$. $65 each for a no-drill locking fork mount truck rack seems a little steep. Given their effectiveness, though, I think you might be satisfied. They seem to be the best solution I've seen.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/bikerack/makerack.htm

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/bikerack/makerack.htm

Cheap, works well, and is removable.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    Do a search, this has been covered before.

I made a 2x4 rack shaped like a big capitol "I" so that a piece goes on each side of the bed, fitting between the wheel wells and the front of the box, then a piece spans across the bed. On to that I screwed a couple inexpensive fork mounts that any bike shop sells. Total price of about $33 ($15 x2 for the mounts, and about $3 for wood and screws if you don't have any laying around).

AggieinSA
    Sep 2004
    Thank you for the help; sorry first time on site and to sport and did not realize the search option.

Quote Originally Posted by Polk
    Do a search, this has been covered before.

I made a 2x4 rack shaped like a big capitol "I" so that a piece goes on each side of the bed, fitting between the wheel wells and the front of the box, then a piece spans across the bed. On to that I screwed a couple inexpensive fork mounts that any bike shop sells. Total price of about $33 ($15 x2 for the mounts, and about $3 for wood and screws if you don't have any laying around).

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    you could always just simpy strap it in like I do my dirt bike....

just put 2 straps coming down from the haandlebars to the corner of your truck box, and 1 strap going over your back tire.

(make sure you got the straps with the rubber over the hooks)
    Please visit my website! www.geocities.com/michaelb152001
    It is mainly Ontario based, but everyone is invited!

Don't worry, be happy!
    here's how it's done BC style
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    When I used to have a truck I got some Bovine bike carrier fork mounts on closeout from REI and then bolted them to a board. I trimmed the board down and used to strap it to the tie-downs to sit on top of the front of the bed. That way I could put things under the bikes if i wanted to but they were totally secure. I actually rear ended someone with four bikes in there and it held up fine. I am of course referring to the bikes and rack, the car sustained $5k worth of damage .

I'm sorry that isn't much of an explanation. Just imagine bolting everything down to a board so its removable if you don't want to drill into your actual bed. I wish I had a picture....

not enough gears
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aggieinsa
    I use a Sportworks Insta-gator, which clips to the tailgate and has an arm that holds the front wheel in place. You can get one on the REI website. It's not quite as theft-proof as bolting axle mounts into the bed, but you can lock the tailgate and then lock the bike to the rack, so it will at least keep during Starbucks stops. And you don't have to drill holes into your truck.
    Johnny Quest thinks I'm selling out!

surly inbred

cheap & easy...

I doubled up on the 2x8's only because of the width of the notched out area in the bed. The strap is just a little insurance to keep the goods from tilting backwards. Went to discs this year and this set-up still works fine.

Hundreds of miles without a problem.. and easily removed if need be

~mud

<edit> ps. I bought a couple replacement long-throw lockable skewers for my mounts...makes in & out a snap

AggieinSA
    Sep 2004

Thanks!

Thank you all for all the helpful information and pictures! I am grateful to have several options to choose from with affordability also!