Suggest a rack for a Dodge Charger please??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Suggest a rack for a Dodge Charger please??

Hi,
    I need it to hold two bikes. I don't have a hitch and my trunk has a factory spoiler. I was thinking of a roof rack or a trunk mounted rack. I'm an uber noob though and have no idea what I'm talking about
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    J.

since 4/10/2009
    You can probably find a hitch receiver you can add to the car. You could look into a roof rack, as well...or a trunk rack for that matter. Some of them (like the saris bones) do work with spoilers. I personally don't like trunk racks, but if you're on a budget, they work.

Trunk racks have the benefit of being easier to access and not likely to sap fuel economy much if at all. But, they can get in the way and they can obscure your license plate and taillights. Some cops if they have an itch, can ticket you if your plate is obscured, so you have to mount the plate onto the hitch rack so it's visible. On some vehicles with some racks, you cannot access the trunk with bikes on the rack. Many hitch racks stick out pretty far from the back of the vehicle when not in use and need to be removed. They're HEAVY. Some of them fold up to temporarily get them out of the way. Security with hitch racks can range from pretty good (about equal to a roof rack) to downright bad depending on the rack.

Roof racks are tougher to access (not much of an issue on a car, but a biggie on an suv) and do impact fuel economy. Honestly, I don't think it's that big. I drive an econobox (Honda Fit) and even with 2 bikes on the roof, it only docks me a couple mpg on the highway...less in the city. Cops, if they have an itch, might try to ticket you if your bars are especially wide. In most states, I think they're allowed to be as wide as your mirrors, but I know people who have been ticketed regardless because the cop was having a bad day or just didn't know the law well enough. A roof rack is out of the way, but you've gotta be careful with clearance in garages, drive-thrus, and such. I've never had a problem, but I know a guy who trashed 2 bikes and the roof of his suv by pulling into a parking garage. Security with roof racks is pretty good if you put ALL the optional lock cores on it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    If you have a factory luggage rack, get a rocky mount noose..checkout their website (good reviews). I have a Magnum and that's what I have.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzmisl
    Hi,
    I need it to hold two bikes. I don't have a hitch and my trunk has a factory spoiler. I was thinking of a roof rack or a trunk mounted rack. I'm an uber noob though and have no idea what I'm talking about
    J.
    If you're talking about the newer Charger (4-door Charger ) you probably want to maintain the original factory lines, while not destroying the paint with a trunk mount rack. Get a hidden hitch type hitch for your car and a hitch mount rack.

http://www.trailerhitches.com/search...er&style=Sedan
    Good luck
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzmisl
    Hi,
    J.
    I'm a little late to this thread, but be very cautious using a trunk-mount rack on the new Chargers. The trunk lid sheet metal is pretty thin and not particularly well braced underneath where the trunk rack pads hit. Fortunately I learned that lesson with a rental sled instead of my own '06 Charger.

I run a MOPAR /factory hidden hitch receiver with factory 2" adapter (they are separate pieces). Into that goes any hitch rack of choice and I use a Yakima 2-bike.

I also have the MOPAR lowering kit and have to be careful when entering/leaving sloping drives or the hitch adapter/rack will drag. There is plenty of slack in the system to let the whole rig move up so it isn't a problem...just annoying if I'm not paying attention. Other than that, it works great.

Installing the MOPAR hitch receiver is an easy 1.5-2 hr. job that you can do in your driveway.

MikeN
    Last edited by mjn99999; 07-07-2008 at 08:22 PM.

Trying a little
    Quote Originally Posted by mjn99999
    I'm a little late to this thread, but I have an '06 Charger and run a factory hidden hitch receiver with factory 2" adapter (they are separate pieces). Into that goes any hitch rack of choice. I use a Yakima 2-bike...

I also have the MOPAR lowering kit and have to be careful when leaving sloping drives or the hitch adapter/rack will drag . Other than that, it works great.

Installing the hitch receiver is an easy 1.5-2 hr. job that you can do in your driveway.

MikeN
    Or maybe a 3 hour cuss session

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

Members who have read this thread: 0