Subaru Warranty Question- Mtbr.com
    Just Ride!

Subaru Warranty Question

I just purchased an 08 Outback 2.5i and I would like to install a hitch. My question is if I install the hitch myself, would it void the warranty because per hitch installation instruction it states that I must unbolt the muffler mounts in order to complete the installation? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Very doubtful. If you wanted to play it safe you could pay a "expert" installer i.e. the dealer, Uhaul etc. to perform the install but since it's a straight forward bolt on part I wouldn't worry about it.

Also a key point to note: Subaru cannot void your warranty based on aftermarket parts or on any other basis for that matter. They can deny a warranty claim if they determine/decide the aftermarket part(s) contributed to the claim in question, but they can't simply throw your entire warranty out based on one specific claim.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkty14
    Very doubtful. If you wanted to play it safe you could pay a "expert" installer i.e. the dealer, Uhaul etc. to perform the install but since it's a straight forward bolt on part I wouldn't worry about it.

Also a key point to note: Subaru cannot void your warranty based on aftermarket parts or on any other basis for that matter. They can deny a warranty claim if they determine/decide the aftermarket part(s) contributed to the claim in question, but they can't simply throw your entire warranty out based on one specific claim.
    Thanks!

thecentralscrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigtire
    I just purchased an 08 Outback 2.5i and I would like to install a hitch. My question is if I install the hitch myself, would it void the warranty because per hitch installation instruction it states that I must unbolt the muffler mounts in order to complete the installation? Thanks.
    It will not void the warranty.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    When you bolt up the muffler bolts, use a torque wrench if a torque is specified. It's good to have a torque wrench around anyway. If in doubt or if you don'tt have one, do this:

Loosen the bolt very slowly (just a little bit- maybe half a turn) and then tighten it back up to where it was. Do this a few times and you will have a good idea about how much to tighten it when you finally tighten the muffler bolts back up.

It will not hurt to tighten them up nice and snug- recheck after a couple of drives to make sure they are not loosening up.

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    When you bolt up the muffler bolts, use a torque wrench if a torque is specified. It's good to have a torque wrench around anyway. If in doubt or if you don'tt have one, do this:

Loosen the bolt very slowly (just a little bit- maybe half a turn) and then tighten it back up to where it was. Do this a few times and you will have a good idea about how much to tighten it when you finally tighten the muffler bolts back up.

It will not hurt to tighten them up nice and snug- recheck after a couple of drives to make sure they are not loosening up.
    I do have a torque wrench but where can I get the torque value for bolts? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A couple of options:

Call Subaru or preferably a Subaru dealer- they will know.
    Ask on the Outback forum. We have a Forester and Impreza one too. Some guys there will know.

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    A couple of options:

Call Subaru or preferably a Subaru dealer- they will know.
    Ask on the Outback forum. We have a Forester and Impreza one too. Some guys there will know.
    Thanks again.

Members who have read this thread: 0