Subaru Retractable Bumper Bike Rack.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Subaru Retractable Bumper Bike Rack.

Subaru just showed a concept of their Viziv with a retractable bumper bike rack. The bike rack looks sick. No more having to fiddle with a trailer hitch rack. It looks like it would be fully integrated into the car so it just slides in and out when needed. Finally car companies are focusing on some really useful options. Haha.

Subaru Retractable Bumper Bike Rack.-subaru-viziv-bikes-626x469.jpeg

mtbr member
    Interesting concept, I don't think I'm sold on the idea though. I'm for letting the rack manufacturers do what they do well, and the car manufacturers can stick to making good cars.

Also, I hope we're not all riding bikes that look like their concept bikes in a few years!

mtbr member
    I don't think I've ever seen a concept model or rendering (at least related to cars) that made it to something I could buy in any recognizable form, so I don't have my hopes up.

Still, it's about freaking time for this. Mounting bikes behind the car, and still having a functional bumper? Or at least not having the bike not be the first contact with the car behind me when I'm parking? Having the rack easily stow somewhere it's not going to be damaged by everyday bumper taps? A rack that's not easily removable by someone I don't want removing it? Not having to walk to and from the house twice; once with the rack, once with my bike?
    Yes, please to all of those!

I think I'd prefer the bikes perpendicular to the car and not sticking up that far above it, I guess that goes to letting the rack companies do what they're good at. Although other than 1up and northshore racks, I can't say I've seen any evidence that the rack companies are particularly good at what they do.

since 4/10/2009
    I like that concept and would appreciate seeing someone implement something similar in the real world. I think part of the reason it looks and works the way it does it to allow the components to slide into the car in a compact manner. A perpendicular tray-style rack wouldn't tuck away so nicely without occupying interior cargo space.

Still, this concept keeps the license plate and taillights visible, which should protect riders from the "random pullover because the rack is covering the plate/lights" problem.

I suppose it doesn't necessarily prevent you from using a current type hitch rack, so long as this design is still compatible with a standard hitch receiver.

Cactus Cuddler
    If the tray was just mounted in telescoping tube fashion, it wouldn't be taking up any extra space. Might require modular hardware with installable bike tire trays (that would have to be stored), but it would keep other space available. Alternatively, running a complete tray where trucks/SUV/Crossovers would run a spare tire could also work out just fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Here in Europe, Opel/Vauxhall (Belongs to GM) designed a similar system some years ago, called flexfix, Which hides inside the rear bumper.Subaru Retractable Bumper Bike Rack.-opel-flexfix.jpg

Subaru Retractable Bumper Bike Rack.-tourer-portabicicletas-2.jpg
    The only diferent may be the bike position when you fit on.

One drawback I see is boot opening. You have to put bikes out from the rack to open it with subaru´s system.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Who is to say Subaru did not contact Thule, Yakima or Saris on the idea?

Also I like this idea but I only like it on small hatchback cars like a Chevy Sonic, Mini, Mazda 2, etc. I think these cars would benefit from something like this most.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Unfortunately, I doubt it meets crash ratings in that configuration, not to mention it seems to be pretty limited in terms of bikes it will take. It'll be all that much more proprietary.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Yeah!
    That's not a bumper extending out, it's just a cover. You will never see a moving bumper on a car as position is critical to it's performance.

I don't think you'd have to steal the spare tire space, most vehicles have support beams running either side of the spare tire. If the beams are big enough, you could run sliders in the wasted space inside the beams.

Ford did something for bikes with the Escape. The roof rack had bars that slid out and locked into the bumper. Exactly the number of Escapes I've seen using this option: 0.

Name:  escape6_rack.jpg
Views: 2194
Size:  43.9 KB

Problem 1: These are always going to be add on features, and few dealers like adding on these unusual features, especially when they are not cheap. If you've got the choice between the stylish $1200 oem sliding bumper cover with integrated lights and license plate rack and an $800 1upUSA, which would you choose? That cool oem rack is going to add exactly $0 to the vehicle's resale value, BTW.

Problem 2: Features that require unloading to access major storage areas are a pain and are not good sellers.

Many things that appear awesome on prototypes turn out to be horrible once practical use is examined. I like this one a lot, but it will never make the light of day. Even if it did, if it prevents attachment of a hitch receiver and makes accessing the rear cumbersome, no way I'd be in on one.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    That's not a bumper extending out, it's just a cover. You will never see a moving bumper on a car as position is critical to it's performance.

I don't think you'd have to steal the spare tire space, most vehicles have support beams running either side of the spare tire. If the beams are big enough, you could run sliders in the wasted space inside the beams.

Ford did something for bikes with the Escape. The roof rack had bars that slid out and locked into the bumper. Exactly the number of Escapes I've seen using this option: 0.

Name:  escape6_rack.jpg
Views: 2194
Size:  43.9 KB

Problem 1: These are always going to be add on features, and few dealers like adding on these unusual features, especially when they are not cheap. If you've got the choice between the stylish $1200 oem sliding bumper cover with integrated lights and license plate rack and an $800 1upUSA, which would you choose? That cool oem rack is going to add exactly $0 to the vehicle's resale value, BTW.

Problem 2: Features that require unloading to access major storage areas are a pain and are not good sellers.

Many things that appear awesome on prototypes turn out to be horrible once practical use is examined. I like this one a lot, but it will never make the light of day. Even if it did, if it prevents attachment of a hitch receiver and makes accessing the rear cumbersome, no way I'd be in on one.
    Yep, and you can take the 1up with you to the next vehicle.

I think one of the issues that is frustrating is how far behind the car manufacturers usually are, this is even an example, as it seems to take skinny bikes, but bigger + sizes and fatbikes? Probably not even thought of when they designed it. Many car dealers will sell you a crappy J-style "bike rack" and some have no hitch options at all, instead only roof-racks, sometimes on top of SUVs, which just gets ridiculous. Most of the time you can get an aftermarket receiver, but the stuff from the dealer is just ridiculous much of the time, as in "are you serious? Those things are from like 15 years ago..."
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.