Subaru pilots with Yakima racks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Subaru pilots with Yakima racks

I am going to put a Yakima rack on my ’93 Impreza when the old tax return comes back at me. I have to go with the Q clips and I was wondering how they were treating other Subaru drivers.

Did you find that your doors did not seal as well at the top letting lots of wind in? I am wondering if I will have this problem, as my suby has no window frames at the top.

Any ideas? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good here

My yakima Q towers/clips mount just fine and clear the windows ok on my '02 impreza WRX. No issues although I have heard of some people haveing the windows nick the clips. I have found info on suby forums about mounting the towers directly to the roof where the weather stripping is. Do a search if interested, I may be able to find the thread and step by step pics if neccesary.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by bush_belay
    I am going to put a Yakima rack on my ’93 Impreza when the old tax return comes back at me. I have to go with the Q clips and I was wondering how they were treating other Subaru drivers.

Did you find that your doors did not seal as well at the top letting lots of wind in? I am wondering if I will have this problem, as my suby has no window frames at the top.

Any ideas? Thanks.
    "you don't wanna know and I don't know!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Wagon or sedan?

Any ideas? Thanks.
    I guess we'll assume sedan without roof rails as you require Q-clips. Are you going to use a short roofline kit too?
    My last Subaru was a 2000 2-door 2.5 RS. I mounted my Saris cross bars to it. The fronts worked fine but did allow for more "air whistle" with the framless windows. For the rear mounts I had to modify the aluminum window channel to mount the clip which I did willingly as I liked my Saris bars more than the car. I love my WRX wagon but those frameless windows suck giant monkey balls. If Mitsubishi ever brings the Evo wagon here, I'm jumping ship.

Not sure if you're dead-set on Yakima, but take a close look at Thule's offering. I've been using all of their attachments with my Saris cross bars (bike, kayak and ski).
    Their new V2 fork mounts are the best I've ever used. http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/prod...t_id=8&sku=590

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuget
    I have found info on suby forums about mounting the towers directly to the roof where the weather stripping is.
    Good luck
    Do you remember what forum you looked on? I have been looking around the net, but not much luck. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Do you remember what forum you looked on? I have been looking around the net, but not much luck. Thanks.
    BB,
    Try www.nasioc.com and www.i-club.com and do a search. It's been documented that you can remove the roof mounted "weld covers" and mount clips to mounting points that are under there. From what I remember, the parts you'll use for mounting and to cover up the now removed weld covers are either JDM or euro spec and will cost you a fortune not to mention shipping costs. To be honest, I'm not sure it's worth the cost for a '93. There's no perfect solution in this case.

Members who have read this thread: 0