Subaru Legacy Sedan rack options?- Mtbr.com
    Get out of town!

Subaru Legacy Sedan rack options?

I just bought a 05 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

Anyway, there are no channels in the roof for a standard luggage rack. I have King Cobras on my old Isuzu and also have some Rocky Mounts on my wife's car. I can use either if get a factory installed luggage rack, but I am thinking it would have to be a similar attachment to a Yakima Q Tower? Those look like skyscrapers on the top of a sporty car - but I'll do what I gotta do because I have to be able to haul my bikes.

Does anyone have a rack on a Legacy that they can recommend? Anyone have experience with the dealer installed bike racks (roof mount)? Anyone just have a luggage rack installed at the dealer after buying the car? If so, how did it attach and what racks did you use? I could not find any information online about Legacy sedan luggage or bike racks. They all look to be installed on wagons that come with those roof channels.
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnk1975
    I just bought a 05 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

Anyway, there are no channels in the roof for a standard luggage rack. I have King Cobras on my old Isuzu and also have some Rocky Mounts on my wife's car. I can use either if get a factory installed luggage rack, but I am thinking it would have to be a similar attachment to a Yakima Q Tower? Those look like skyscrapers on the top of a sporty car - but I'll do what I gotta do because I have to be able to haul my bikes.

Does anyone have a rack on a Legacy that they can recommend? Anyone have experience with the dealer installed bike racks (roof mount)? Anyone just have a luggage rack installed at the dealer after buying the car? If so, how did it attach and what racks did you use? I could not find any information online about Legacy sedan luggage or bike racks. They all look to be installed on wagons that come with those roof channels.
    Check with a Suby dealer. They have Yakima OEM roof rack options.

Maybe consider adding a tow hitch (DrawTite was $200 web order for my 2000 Legacy wagon, and easy install), and use a rear hitch bike rack. And have the option to tow a utility trailer for dump runs etc.

- ray
    Last edited by derby; 07-07-2006 at 09:37 PM.

I wear two thongs
    Wow nice car choice!! I'm a Suby nut.

As for racks def check with the dealer, My father bought a 2000 Outback new a few yrs back and got a rack for it right at the dealer. Most likely since there are no existing racks it will require some kind of Tower and bars plus the racks. Also Subaru is partnered up with Yakima which in my opinion make some of the best roof racks on the market.
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I have q towers on my subie and cant say they look like skyscrapers--otoh, the king cobra attachment does look tall and klunky-but it works well.

Get out of town!
    Dbl post
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

Get out of town!
    Do you have pics of the Q towers by chance? I may end up with this but will stop by the dealer first.

mtbr member
    Shoulda got the wagon

But yeah, Yakima has a fit for you. I recommend not leaving the racks on full time as some owners with STI's have run in to denting and paint fading over time from the q-towers.
    :wq

Get out of town!
    That's alarming. I considered having a hitch installed but that may be sitting pretty low to the ground. Maybe I'll just put the bike in the trunk for now on. I know my road bike will fit- not sure about my mountain bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0