Subaru IMBA discount - anyone used it recently?- Mtbr.com
    AOK
    mtbr member

Subaru IMBA discount - anyone used it recently?

Just wondering what the discount is for Forester or Outback. I found several threads saying the discount was 2% under dealer invoice or just dealer invoice, but all of those threads were from several years ago. I asked the salesman at a Subaru dealership today and he said it was a VIP program which "usually meant an invoice deal". But he didn't have any real specifics.

Another alternative for me is to use USAA, which appears to be using Truecar.com prices. Seems like the IMBA discount would be the better deal if it is dealer invoice price or below.

Still trying to decide what I want to replace my 10 year old CR-V with - right now I am leaning towards the Forester.

mtbr member
    I believe 2% is about right but you may not need it. I bought a Crosstrek this past fall and was going to use the IMBA discount which would have been roughly $500 below invoice. Without mentioning the discount, I offered $1000 below invoice and they came back with $800 below and a 100k mile powertrain warranty, so I took it. Also, last month the other local Subaru dealer was offering $1000 below on any Crosstrek special order. I realize you are looking at the Forester but it seems that $500 to $1000 below invoice should be doable with out the discount so it might be easier and cheaper just to shop around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    From working at a subaru dealership (we have been #1 in sales for the south east for awhile) I can tell you a few things.

***note I am a subaru tech not a salesman ***

1) the outback is a much nicer riding vehicle then the new forester.
    2) the forester you will get better pricing on hands down but the outback will keep its value better.
    3) the outback (i owned a 16') are selling like fire for sticker price were we are (north carolina) $
    4) that being said the outback does have a normal wind noise from the design of the vehicles mirrors and front glass that is annoying to some (make sure you test drive)
    5) you really cant go wrong with either one but as BXCC mentioned i would work the 7/100k subaru sas warranty into your deal. As i even had my parents invest in it when they bought their new outback.

Enjoy your new vehicle !

if your going to use a hitch please use an oem one and have it dealer installed. I have seen too many aftermarket ones that have to chop up the unibody in order to run the bolts and brackets.

AOK
    mtbr member
    Makar - did you keep your bike inside the outback or did you have a rack? Would be interested to see your setup for interior bike storage if you have one.

One thing I have really liked about my old CRV is the ability to easily pop my bike upright in the back with motorcycle straps. (Having it upright allows for other gear storage. )

It doesn't look like the forester or outback has a high enough roof for this, so I am trying to figure out alternatives in the event I go with either of these.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If carrying bikes around is a big part of your life you should def do what you can to ensure the vehicle you are buying accommodates your needs. Put your bike rack on it (hitch mount), open tail gate, put bike in car, look for mounting points for straps, investigate how to protect rear area from dirt/debris.

A lot of riders in the local area (WI) are going with subaru and are loving them a lot. At 6'2" I personally want something higher off the ground and need a lot of room inside if I want to stand my bikes up.