Subaru Factory Stereos....Rubbish. (and FYI)- Mtbr.com
    More than somewhat.

Subaru Factory Stereos....Rubbish. (and FYI)

I'm on my second factory stereo in my '06 Impreza. The first one gave out when the car had 63 miles on the ODO. The one I have now "clicks" when you insert or eject cds of any type.

I called the dealership (yay warranties) and the guy huffed and puffed when I he found out that I had used burned cds every now and then. I don't think it should matter, but he informed me if a burned disc is stuck in the player, the warranty WILL NOT cover the cost of repair/replacement.

What is the physical difference between a burned cd and an artists cd?

thecentralscrutinizer
    Which radio is it?

I wouldn't think there would be much, if any, difference between the 2 CD's.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29

mtbr member
    The difference as I know it is just how the data goes onto the cd. A burned cd is just that burned on with a laser. Non burned are stamped on. I cant see why a warrenty would be voided. I would take a look at yours and make sure it says that somewhere. Dealerships are not called stealerships for no reason.

More than somewhat.
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd
    Which radio is it?

I wouldn't think there would be much, if any, difference between the 2 CD's.

It's the single disc player. I'm just at a loss as to why I was treated poorly for doing what almost every person on earth does (assuming they have capabilities).

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress
    It's the single disc player. I'm just at a loss as to why I was treated poorly for doing what almost every person on earth does (assuming they have capabilities).
    No kidding. The in-dash cd player on my car (factory stereo, honda fit) will play mp3 files, even. Only way I know of to get that is to burn it and no problems there. My favorite cd's all get burned for auto use because of the hot cabin in the summer, theft risk, and that sort of thing.

Tree Hugger
    The only concern I would have is using the stickers as labels on a CD which will make it slightly thicker. If you don't use sticker labels, there should be no difference to the CD player.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

More than somewhat.
    I never use stickers. Sharpies work well, and don't melt/come off/catch fire.

thecentralscrutinizer
    If your interested, I have that stereo out of my 07...cheap.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710

mtbr member

No problem w/'06 Outback radio

I have what ever radio came standard with the Legacy Outback LL Bean and it has been fine for the past two years and 24K miles. Its the unit with the 6 disc changer. I play burned CD's and they have not caused any problems.

Could the wiring be the problem and not the radios? Maybe something is shorting out and no one has thought to look at it. Just a guess. I'm not an expert.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Just a thought here, could the heater ducts that run behind the radio be contributing to the failure of the deck? When I pulled mine that was the first thing I noticed. The CD player generates a good amount of heat, in a very confined space, and could be affected by the heat coming through the ventilation system.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have a 2001 Outback wagon. It is a Six cylinder. There was an option for a McIntosh stereo on these. Mine has it. If you replace the deck it sounds amazing.(better than the polk componets and alpine amp I had in my previous car.) It is a little complicated, but I can help anyone who has the Macintosh stereo with directions to replace it. Try a different dealer, they should fix your stereo problem. If they do not contact Subaru of America. They are very helpful.

jrm
    mtbr member

The only time i heard of CDs

I'm on my second factory stereo in my '06 Impreza. The first one gave out when the car had 63 miles on the ODO. The one I have now "clicks" when you insert or eject cds of any type.

I called the dealership (yay warranties) and the guy huffed and puffed when I he found out that I had used burned cds every now and then. I don't think it should matter, but he informed me if a burned disc is stuck in the player, the warranty WILL NOT cover the cost of repair/replacement.

not working was because the owner was using a non factory/aftermarket aux input jack.

ballbuster

That is total BS

THe only reason a CD gets stuck in a player is if the disc is badly warped, the mechnaism gets jammed with a foreign object (my wife's laptop slot loading DVD-RW drive got jammed with paperclips that were loose in her laptop bag, for instance), or the mechanism otherwise fails, like the motor burning out, loader belt snapping, that sorta thing. The only time burned CDs are a problem is if they can't be read by the player, which won't damage it.

What a load of BS. The dealer is just trying to weasel out of the warranty. Have him point to you where in the text of the manual or the warranty where it says that burned CDs are not to be used. As you probably know, the auto dealers are just about the most corrupt people on the planet.

Secondly, factory stereos are generally garbage, anyway. Not that you shouldn't get another one under warranty. If they are going to make you pay for it, just get an aftermarket stereo.

used to be uno-speedo....
    I've had problems with '03 and two '05 stereos. Not problems really but occasionally the volume will go up by itself.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Acura will not cover their CD players with burned disks in them. Buddy of mine had to buy a new radio because of their $700 repair bill.

Its just another way for them to duck responsibility on a technicality.

mtbr member
    ...What is the physical difference between a burned cd and an artists cd?
    A burned CD is has a laser that melts or otherwise changes the chemicals on the disc to create the 1s and 0s. An artist's CD is pressed like a record. An artist's CD has a much longer shelf life. Also, artist's CDs will rarely be MP3s. The format of burned CDs can vary.

So you can definitely have trouble playing burned CDs in some players depending on how its burned. But honestly, in 2008 this issue should be long concluded.

I have an 01 Forester and I think the audio sucks. I put in a nice Pioneer, but the factory speakers are just killing my ears..

Harrumph
    My factory 05 Suby deck has problems with the loading mech. It has even eaten a few CD's, I'll be replacing it sooner than later.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

Elitest thrill junkie
    Factory changer from 04 with no problems. I'm sure I could improve on the system, but there are other places to spend that money.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    You mention Gatoraide and that reminds me of the horrible cup holders in the 01 Forester. Coffee spills down the radio face all the time. Those things can't even hold proper coffee cups. Pain.

Members who have read this thread: 0