Subaru- Mtbr.com

Thread: Subaru

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Subaru

Can I fit a bike into '00 subaru legacy sedan boot ? Remove wheels, remove seatpost, will it fit ? Thinking about geting this car and I would prefer sedan over wagon, but if my bike does not fit inside than I'll be geting wagon most probably.

banned
    Sep 2005
    I have a hard time fitting my bike in my 97 Legacy wagon. Then again, I despise taking off wheels and such, so I only tried once. Better off going for a rack.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    That is with your rear seats laid down ? I dont like roof racks, the bike is exposed to element and thiefs. Also insects get smashed all over the bike when going fast.

banned
    Sep 2005
    With the seats down its not a problem, but since I keep my toolbox, drill, socket set and other junk in the hatch, I can rarely up the seats down.

A hitch rack is probably the best way to go with a rack. Keeps it out of the way and prevents too much gas mileage loss from wind resistance.

mtbr member
    I would check the sedan if you plan on folding down the seats. Subaru isn't the best at putting fold down seats in their sedans and I'm not sure if the '00 legacy has them.

As a wagon whore myself, I would highly recommend getting the wagon. I was going to pick up an '01 LGT Limited wagon a few years ago, but since it was going to be my wifes primary car and I wasn't willing to give up my WRX, we got a 2.5RS coupe . I got a WRX wagon later.

For what it's worth, you will have ZERO problems fitting a bike in to the cargo area of an '00 wagon as I can easily fit my bikes in the cargo area of my WRX wagon, which is considerably smaller than the legacy.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Michal
    Can I fit a bike into '00 subaru legacy sedan boot ? Remove wheels, remove seatpost, will it fit ? Thinking about geting this car and I would prefer sedan over wagon, but if my bike does not fit inside than I'll be geting wagon most probably.
    Have you considered a hitch rack? (upright like Thule T2)

Get out of town!
    I have a 05 Legacy GT Limited and put on a hitch rack. It works great because you can go rackless when you want to, the bikes stay off your car, and you don't have to F up your interior

I went to U haul and had a hitch installed and then bought a 2 bike Xport rack off of Jenson. I will post pics when I get back to my work computer.
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

Definately post pics.

I'm looking at hitches for my '05 LGT Sedan at the moment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JIJO
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

Definately post pics.

I'm looking at hitches for my '05 LGT Sedan at the moment.
    FWIW this is the Thule T2 hitch rack I'm getting for my new 2.5i wagon (hitch getting installed at the dealer). They come in 1 1/4" and 2" receiver size:
    http://www.thuleracks.com/thulecan/p...t_id=8&sku=917
    Not sure about the US website, sorry...

Get out of town!

Here are the pics

I like it because it keeps the bike off the car - but you also scrape a lot when pulling in and out of places with moderately steep grades so....

I may sell the combo and go back to a roof rack system.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ridin'Dirty; 01-04-2007 at 07:02 AM. Reason: pic resizing
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I used my 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon to transport my bike. This vehicle didn't have the ability to fold the rear seats (for whatever reason) and I used to pull both wheels and slide the bike into the back seat. Worked Ok, the handlebars had to turn, making the bike longer. My bike is fairly small, so I don't know that this would work for everyone and it certainly doesn't work for more than one bike.
    I also used my 1997 Legacy Wagon to transport 2 Bikes, stacked on top of one another with a thick blanket in between. Could have transported 3-4 but you only have room for 2 passengers.
    So, since I have not come anywhere near answering your question, I think it would be extremely tight, even with nearly everything removed to fit your bike in boot, but you should be fine with the wagon.

Members who have read this thread: 0