Is storing bike in (hot) car bad?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Is storing bike in (hot) car bad?

I've gone through several commuter cars, and recently landed on a beater '93 Acura Integra Hatchback. My bike can fit in the hatch with the front wheel off, no problem.

My question is about doing this on a regular basis. I usually ride after work, so the car sits in the hot parking lot for 9+ hours. I'm in central NC and we average in the 90's during the summer, and commonly get up above 100f. (105 yesterday)

Ideally, I'd love to just keep the bike in the car, and keep a camelbac at work, so I can ride whenever the whim hits. Does anyone think the extreme heat can cause damage to the bike? FWIW, it's a full susp, AL bike with a Minatou 4-way on the back, a Marz AM1 up front, and tubeless tires. (As far as variables that might be effected).

My reason for keeping the bike IN the car is security, better mileage, and not having to buy a short roof adaptor for a car that is worth less than the rack.

What are people's opinions.
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Crickets??

Has anyone had any bad experience with doing this over time?

Has anyone done it over time with no ill effects?

Looking for any feedback. I have other options, but this is by far the best one.
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius

mtbr member
    I've had a bike stolen out of my car. They smashed the rear windshield, which was worth more than the bike, still sentimental value. Ever since then I've been cautious about leaving it in a car unattended, but presumably it's in a safe place (not across the street, in plain view of a freakin police station in San Fransisco)? Rolling down a window a hare, possibly covering the bike or getting it out of direct sunlight would abate any concerns I'd have (though the latter is just vanity about paint fading).

only other thing, once I left my bike in the car for about 6 hours at work, when I took it out there was noticeably less fork rebound damping (may have been different compression too, but that's harder to observe - my Marz. dropoff has way more adjustment range than you'd ever want on that). It returned to normal after cooling off, I guess it was just loss of viscosity from the heat.

Members who have read this thread: 0