Sportworks/Thule question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Sportworks/Thule question

Hey folks. I just got a smokin deal on one of the original Sportworks Transport racks (the T1?, not the T2). I am wanting to get the 3rd and 4th bike add ons for it. However, I can't seem to find the 3rd bike add on since Thule isn't making this rack.
    Does anyone know if the 3rd bike add on for the T2 will bolt up to the my rack? It looks like it might just by looking at pictures, but I was wondering if anyone has actually done this. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Yes it does. No problems with my setup (T1 base rack and T2 3rd tray)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Have any of you found a Sportworks 3rd bike add-on for the Sportworks T2? I can't (lots of 4th's available though). Anyone know if the Thule 2-bike add-on for their version of the T2 will fit the Sportworks T2?

You Are What You Is
    Quote Originally Posted by WaveDude
    Have any of you found a Sportworks 3rd bike add-on for the Sportworks T2? I can't (lots of 4th's available though). Anyone know if the Thule 2-bike add-on for their version of the T2 will fit the Sportworks T2?
    The Thule 2-bike add-on willl NOT fit the old Sportworks T2 rack. I asked the guys at REI, plus I called Thule.

Group Hug Participant

Help

How bout vice versa? Will the 3rd bike add-on fit on the new Thule T2? Has anyone tried? Has anyone had any luck finding the 3rd bike add-on lately? I can't seem to find one anywhere....
    Official Chocolate Fountain Spokesman

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've looked at, but not measured, a Thule T2 in the store. They look exactly like the Sportworks T2. Anyone have a Thule T2 with the 2-bike add-on? If so, measure up the mounting holes and describe how the add-on connects to the rack. I'm considering buying the Thule 2-bike add-on and having a welder make up a connector for my Sportworks T2 if they don't bolt up directly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Answering my own question...

The Thule T2 two bike add-on WILL fit the Sportworks rack. The problem is, Thule changed the locations of the bolt holes. The bolts/holes themselves line up but on the Thule T2 they are deeper (more towards the front of the car) into the rack. So, although you can bolt the two together, the add-on sticks out about 1" more than it should. Probably not a problem for caryying a couple of XC bikes but I'm gonna be hauling DH/Freeride rigs.

Soooo, I'm gonna have a welder turn the 2-bike add-on into individual 3rd and 4th bike add-ons just like Sportworks used to make (see the sketch). I asked a custom trailer hitch shop if they could do the work but they wanted $150 . I've got a friend who's a welder so I'm hoping he can do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well [email protected] I called about 10 different steel suppliers looking for 1-3/4" square-tube for the sleeve. The cheapest I could find was $30 for 12' of it (heck, I only need 5") and I'd still have to pay a welder to work on it. Sooooo, I'm trashing the conversion/welding idea. For $30, I can get another 2-bike backbone/extension from Thule Spare Parts and just cut it in half for when I want to carry only 3-bikes. So that's what I did.

And today I drilled new holes into my Sportworks rack so that it lines up with where Thule put them. It works just fine. I attached pics of the new holes, and what the attachment looked like using both sets of holes (before and after).
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Going back to dougbot's original question (and to clarify P-Funks message), a nice person at Sportworks told me that the Sportworks T2 version 3rd bike add-on rack would connect directly into the Transport "T1" Series bike rack without any adaptors. Just make sure the Sportworks part# is 260102 (instead of a Thule part #).
    Just before I pulled the trigger to buy the Sportworks T2 PN 260102 to add a 3rd bike, I was lucky enough to find an original version 3rd Bike add-on, PN 253102.

Dr Gadget is IN

the diff of 3 vs 4

There are left and right "trays", and the standard config sets a right at the hitch. This makes the 3 a right and 4 a left. When I got my SW T2, I decided I wanted a Left at the hitch - so a bought a 4 to make a 3rd add on!

I've only got an 1 1/4 hitch so 3 is max anyways.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

Members who have read this thread: 0