Sportsmobile Rack Advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Sportsmobile Rack Advice

I am looking for a rack for my Sportsmobile. I usually have roof racks but since this vehicle is so tall, I'm looking for a hitch mount. I have a swing away rear tire and jerry can holder on the back so the bike rack needs to clear these items (extender possibly) but I definitely need to be able to access the rear doors as needed so a swing away design is a must. I don't like the frame mounted carriers and want a fork mounted tray for stability when offroad.

Does anyone make this? I have done extensive searches on mtbr and google but am coming up with nothing.

HELP!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I've previously looked for a swing-away tray mount and didn't find any. I've got a swing-away frame mount and thought about modifying it into a tray mount, but so far it just looks like a lot of expense.

The Thule T2 does tilt down, but I haven't heard from anyone whether that works well fully loaded. Maybe a tube fabricator could be the best way to do the magic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    i have a Sportworks T2 (same as Thule just w/o thule stickers) and it is a piece of cake to raise or lower w/ bikes on it, as far as clearing the rear doors etc..., you will be able to open them a bit, not all the way though, my SMB only has the upgraded rear bumper/ladder w/o the jerry can basket so it may different on your rig. it does only take 10 seconds to remove or load a bike though....

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info! Did you just get your SMB from the neighboring town in UT? Thought I recognized your name from the Sportsmobile forum.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    yeah, thats me.

Believe it or not but you had just beaten my offer on the van you just picked up, everything worked out in the end, I actually prefer the RB vs the EB and the fact that I was able to go up w/ my wife to look at and drive it before hand was a big thumbs up in her book. Besides, I always wanted a red truck, now I have a really big red van instead... life is good!

now it is time to go ride...

enjoy!

mtbr member
    Wow. Small world! I think I saw your red RB after I picked mine up and had a pang of regret for a second. Initially we were looking for that exact config but we're very happy with the EB since we have 2 dogs and lots of gear.

Back to bikes... I'm thinking of just sucking it up and doing a roof rack. Stabile way to transfer and theft resistant. Or possibly have something fabricated up in the future by a local shop.

mtbr member
    those things are sweet. i'd love one.

mtbr member
    I haven't seen what you are looking for anywhere. Find a good welder/fabricator and you can probably have something custom built for a fraction of the cost of a Thule or Yakima piece.

Members who have read this thread: 0