Spare Tire Rack?? Swagman?- Mtbr.com
    USB Rep'n

Spare Tire Rack?? Swagman?

I used to have this crappy old BardWeyers "rack" for my Jeep and need something bettter. The reviews are few and far between so I thought Id see if anyone has anything good or bad to say about particular spare tire racks. FYI, the Swagman 3 bike rack got my attention but I don't know anything about their product.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    My wife has one on her Jeep.
    The stitching on the stabilizing strap is starting to fail after being on her Jeep for a few years.
    Threading the hold down bolts is rather slow.
    Otherwise it works fine.

Most of our bikes require the extra seat post to stem bar due to non-triangular frames.

She also has the ski & snowboard rack that hangs on it.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Spare Me

I've got a Thule "Spare Me" Rack on my CR-V

What I like:

1. It can be offset to the side. This was important sinse the spare tire is not centered on the back of my car.

2. The cradles are very versitile, and even bizzare shaped bikes (like my Y-foil road bike) are accomodated pretty easily.

What I don't like

1. While I like the fact that the mounting plate bolts to the same plate as the spare tire, the means by which the rack attaches to the mounting plate (one square tube slides over another square tube) lets it twist a little. After the rack is loaded with bikes it leans a little to the heavy side. It is secure, but looks pretty bad. I spent $4 in hardware and rigged it so it is perfectly solid. No leaning. I think part of my problem was that my tire is too narrow. Most vehicles with spare tires on the back are trucks with bigger tires.

2. The rubber cradle straps break. I've had this rack for about a year and a half, and I have broken 4 straps. Thule has been great about sending me new ones (several at a time now), but it makes me wonder why they don't come up with some sort of ratcheting strap.

3. As the rubber cradles get broken in, they loosen up on the bar of the rack and slide around. Kind of defeats the porpose of having cradles if the bikes can still slide into each other. I solved this by putting a hose clamp on either side of the cradles so they can't move around.

So overall, I like the rack now that I added 2 bolts, a few washers and nuts, and some hose clamps. The only ongoing issue is the cradle straps, but the cradles work so well that I am willing to put up with it.

Kapusta

Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    I used to have this crappy old BardWeyers "rack" for my Jeep and need something bettter. The reviews are few and far between so I thought Id see if anyone has anything good or bad to say about particular spare tire racks. FYI, the Swagman 3 bike rack got my attention but I don't know anything about their product.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dex
    mtbr member
    I have the Allen Spare Tire Rack. It's a good sturdy rack, but I've yet to try to fit 3 bikes on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Noxubee Hills Trail System's FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Noxube...8499244?v=wall

USB Rep'n

Thanks guys!

Craig, I went with the Swagman so hopefully things will work out well. I decided that 3 bike capacity was necessary and the other racks just didn't inspire confidence (visually) with that many bikes aboard.

Thanks for the review. If that rack is BC worthy, Im sure Ill have no issues with it back here!

eh-nay Ityopia!

I don't think we've ever carried three bikes on it. I certainly wouldn't want to hang three heavy bikes on it, mostly due to worries about the tail gate, hinges & spare mount.

It is difficult to close the tailgate if you have bikes loaded on the rack, you to take some of the weight off the hinges, or it requires a slam to shut.

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    I don't think we've ever carried three bikes on it. I certainly wouldn't want to hang three heavy bikes on it, mostly due to worries about the tail gate, hinges & spare mount.

It is difficult to close the tailgate if you have bikes loaded on the rack, you to take some of the weight off the hinges, or it requires a slam to shut.
    I remember that from my old rack too. I always lifted up on the rack unweighting it in order to close the gate. I agree that 3 big bikes would be a no no but Im thinking along the lines of my hardtail, my road bike, and a bmx at the same time. Should work, Id think.

eh-nay Ityopia!

I think 3 bikes like that wouldn't be a problem.