Softride Versa rack????- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Softride Versa rack????

I'm looking at this rack to get for my 2001 ford escape. I've seen some good reviews for it. How do you like it? This is mainly for the 2 bike. Though the strapping on the bottom seams a little weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemybike011
    You don't like a fork because it's popular? That's the most retarded reason I have ever heard of.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Anyone???
    You don't like a fork because it's popular? That's the most retarded reason I have ever heard of.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Softride Versa rack

Idaho Biker-

I used this rack all of last year and was pretty happy with it. This is my first hitch mount so i have nothing to compare to.

Pros: Solid build, good looks, small footprint when folded up, hitch lock, tilt down access
    for liftgates.

Cons: Bike lean at hwy speeds, started to get some play in pivot area which causes
    movement when braking, accelerating.

Make sure to not overtighten bolts in pivot area as i broke one of the plastic bushings. Softride sent me a new one out at no charge. After adjusting arms in with bike in rack, take out the bike and bring in about another inch or two for a nice tight fit. The tires wedge into the hoops for a secure fit with no worries about bike coming out while driving. I also wrap a bungee around down tube and attach to hitch to minimize lean at hwy speeds.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    What kind of speeds are you talking about because to where I go in Idaho average speed is about 75-80. You said shaking at highway speeds. That means like 55 right? I've occasionally gone 90.

But most of the time its about 60 mph half the drive

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have gone 75-80 and its ok, i dont think the bike would ever actually come out if it is in the mount tight, it just tends to lean. Thats why i use the bungee as a precaution.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    do you have any pictures of the bike rack with the bike?

mtbr member
    May 2006

Pics

Ive got the rack off the car for winter but am putting back on to take the bike in to get serviced
    this week. I will take some photos and post for you sometime this week.

Scurly

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    thanks...

mtbr member
    May 2006

Pics -Softride Versa rack

Sorry about the delay, here are the pics finally.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    After adjusting arms in with bike in rack, take out the bike and bring in about another inch or two for a nice tight fit.

Can you explain that, I don't see how you get the bike in with the arms in tight. The instructions say something bout leaning the bike towards you to get it out without moving the hoops, but I dont get it. Just got my rack last night.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    We've gotten some good feedback on the Versa racks and zero returns so far. They had some initial problems with some of the bolts and hardware, but they issued a recall and sent everyone new bolt kits. All the new racks come with new hardware. If you have an older one, contact Softride at 888-258-7303 for a free replacement kit.

We just posted a video of the Versa on our site if anyone wants to check it out:

Softride Access Versa

Members who have read this thread: 0