in a small deilema...need a hitch rack- Mtbr.com
    pain Only Hurts for a min
    Feb 2010

New question here. in a small deilema...need a hitch rack

okay here's the story...

I have been doing a lot of reading and have decided on going with a hitch rack instead of getting a roof rack for my car. I have a Pontiac Gran Prix. I currently do not have a hitch receiver on my car, I am holding off on buying the receiver untill I decide on which rack I am going to buy.

I need help on deciding which kind of hitch rack to go with.

What Style?
    What Brand?

I am thinking I want one that the bike sits down on [like on the wheels] instead of resting on the top bar, because my bike has it's cables running along that top bar and I don't like the thought of the bike riding/bouncing on them.

Any suggestion on what rack? What hitch receiver? Or reasons why I should not go with a hitch rack.

Thanks in advance
    Just a Kid chasing his Dreams

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    How many bikes? and what kind?
    As for the hitch I thin the class 2 is worth the extra because it is more versatile, unless the look bothers you.
    Also budget would play into this as well, you can get racks that do the job under $200 or over $500

Feb 2010
    Want to be able to haul 2 bikes:
    -I have a Gary Fisher Mamba.
    -As for the second bike I don't know yet [It will be my girlfriend's bike that I haven't bought her yet haha]

I am looking at not spending over $400 on the rack.

For the hitch receiver I was planning on getting a Class 2 [I will also be pulling a smaller trailer as times to haul my four-wheeler]

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    for hitch fit you can check over at grandprix.net
    For that price you can pretty much get anything you want.
    Thule T-2 or double down
    Yakima Holdup or Stickup
    Swagmann XTC2
    are the more popular ones.

Feb 2010
    what about the Kuat racks?

I know they are a little on the pricey side but I like some of their features... Like how they have a work stand built in to them, how they angle to allow access to your trunk.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I agree looks great, I didnt list it because of price

mtbr member
    also consider the 1up

jrm
    mtbr member

Economic Alt

get a 1-1/4" u haul hitch and a perf export hitch rack.

Feb 2010
    The Xport hitch rack is only $159 --> are these other racks, [like the T-2, Yakima, Kuat] worth the extra $200?
    Last edited by moutainkiller; 04-08-2010 at 05:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Might want to take a look at Raxter, also. They have very good reviews here on MTBR. www.raxterracks.com
    Trek/Gary Fisher Superfly hardtail
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel SI 4
    Cervelo R3
    Specialized Crux Elite

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've used the thule t2, sarris thelma, and the xport and the thule is leaps and bounds beyond any of the others.

Better stability, easy loading, and beefier construction. All our reps have the same rack and we all love them for all teh right reasons.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    what year GP ya got?
    i ask as i have an 02 40th anniversary coupe and right now i am in this dilema of what to do for bike transporting.
    i am not putting something on the paint if i can help it. i dont want a hitch, but a hitch seems to be the most feasable option.
    i have an 06 hardrock pro disc and my girl just got an 09 trek 7200 mens

in the end i am guessing i will do a hitch, but i just dont wanna. and i dont wanna make the gf drive all the time either when we need to transport the bikes. she has an 02 alero coupe with the factory spoiler

Feb 2010
    I have a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix. I too didnt want to put something on the paint, thats why went dont the hitch rack route. I dont really like the idea of putting a hitch on my car, but it seems the most discrete [no rack sitting on top of your car], and the safest. I guess I'll learn to like the look of it

Once I get it on I'll post some pictures... [2 - 3 weeks probably]

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    i am pretty much decided on hitch. figure class I will be plenty for our needs as well as the 1 1/4" will be less standout and take from the looks.
    its ok i can deal with that. as i do want to be able to take my bike our our bikes to other places...
    besides i do drive my car...so this is the route to take for me
    now to see if there is a hitch avail for the gf's alero then score some money to make this all happen

Feb 2010
    I personally am going to go with a Class II reciever, like this Hitch Reciever. It is still a 1 1/4" and it allows for 3500lbs GTW and 300lbs TW so just in case someday I wanted to pull a small trailer. Which I am also looking into so I have a way to haul my four-wheeler.

Some other hitch receivers that I'm looking at:
    [haven't decided which to get yet, that are all really about the same]
    Draw-Tite Trailer Hitch
    Hidden Hitch

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hey MountainKiller,

The T-2 and Stick-Up may not be worth the extra money but it depends on what kind of features you are looking for.

The Xport is inexpensive because it ain't fancy. Some people don't need fancy. However, with a Gary Fisher Mamba you should definitely go with a platform rack (one that the bike rests on the rack on it's tires).

If you shop around you can get a T2 or Stick-up or XTC2 for about 50-60 more than the Xport (I saw as low as $215 on Back Country Racks) Which makes the Xport look even less appealing.

Here is a list of features you need to decide if you want them or not. Less features, less expensive.
    Does the rack lock to the hitch?
    Does the rack come with a cable to lock the bikes?
    Does the rack come with a lock for the cable?
    Does the rack fold up out of the way when the bikes are attached?
    How are the bikes secured to the rack?
    Can you still access the rear of the vehicle?
    How are the reviews?

Figure out your minimum requirements and then it will be easier to narrow down your choices

Hope that helps!
    Mike.

mtbr member
    Just bungee cord the bikes to your grill!

Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mikedirectory2
    Hey MountainKiller,

The T-2 and Stick-Up may not be worth the extra money but it depends on what kind of features you are looking for.

The Xport is inexpensive because it ain't fancy. Some people don't need fancy. However, with a Gary Fisher Mamba you should definitely go with a platform rack (one that the bike rests on the rack on it's tires).

If you shop around you can get a T2 or Stick-up or XTC2 for about 50-60 more than the Xport (I saw as low as $215 on Back Country Racks) Which makes the Xport look even less appealing.

Here is a list of features you need to decide if you want them or not. Less features, less expensive.
    How are the reviews?

Figure out your minimum requirements and then it will be easier to narrow down your choices

Hope that helps!
    Mike.
    Does the rack lock to the hitch? Have to buy a separate hitch pin in order too.
    Does the rack come with a cable to lock the bikes? No, already have one though
    Does the rack come with a lock for the cable? No, already have one, don't need extras
    Does the rack fold up out of the way when the bikes are attached? No with the bikes attached but does when they are not
    How are the bikes secured to the rack? Two, mine and my girls
    Can you still access the rear of the vehicle? Possibly, I have received both yess and nos on this
    How are the reviews? Like everything else good and bad, but for the majority good

I definitely do not need fancy. Thats part of the reason I am looking at the Xport rack. I live in NY and I am going to be transporting my bike in the winter, therefore it is going to be covered with salt. Watching salt eat away a cheep rack wont bother me to much...But watching it eat away a high end rack would kill me. I am moving as soon as I'm done getting me degree and heading to Colorado. I plan to get a better rack then, out there I don't need to worry about the salt [they use more sand on their roads, than salt]

Thanks for the help its much appreciated!

Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDonkeyDisco
    Just bungee cord the bikes to your grill!

haha... something tells me that my car wouldn't be too happy with this approach

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    funny i was just at etrailer lookin at those hitches. hadnt seen a link for hitch depot yet. i will have to look into them more as they do free shipping. but i guess it depends on shipping from etrailer if it is a wash or not.
    i do like the idea of droppin the exhaust though to mount in what appears to be a sturdier location. so class 2 is likely to be the case with me. havent looked yet to see what is avail for my gf's alero.

i definitely want platforms to mount bikes to.
    i guess i need to answer those same questions.

thanx for the info

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mikedirectory2
    Hey MountainKiller,

How are the reviews?

Hope that helps!
    Mike.
    The XTC2 is less than $215 if you saw a T2 for that price, it was probably the 2 bike add on not the main rack. Often sites list it this way to land better on search engines.
    A couple of things I noticed in real life after I bought my XTC2.
    1. hitch pin lock- over rated and almost useless. With the XTC you can unscrew two bolts and have 95% of the whole rack. Since I have seen T2 owners have the racks fall off on their own, I am sure they have the same issue. I do have one, and would probably do it again as my security plan was to make stealing look like even more work than it is. to help secure the rack I use a krypto new york noose around the part that would unbolt to the hitch.
    2/3. the cables and locks that I saw on most racks would only provide enough protection to stop a kid from heisting your bike. A thief would easily cut it. I opt'd to add another new york noose.

Members who have read this thread: 0