Sidearm or High roller?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Sidearm or High roller?

Picking up an 08 4runner this week.Trying to decide on roof rack(camper will be on hitch with 2 bikes inside already)Any thoughts on the thule side arm vs. Yakima's high roller?I'm more interested in sturdy holding than ease of use if it matters.Will also be hauling ladders on crossbars now and then.Thanks for helping.

mtbr member
    side arm rocks man. Its simple and quick to put your bike in. Ive had mine for 2 yrs now and everyone seems to like it better than their setup. Its super sturdy and the bike never wobbles.

Derailleurless
    I'm running a pair of High Rollers and they're pretty decent. But the Sidearm is derivation of Sportworks classic hitch rack, and it's a solid design. You won't go wrong with either.

My recommendation? Get out to your local rack shop or REI or bike store that has both, and check them out side by side.

My only complaints about the High Roller stem from the fact that it's more "hands on" than the Cobra it supercedes, but honestly, this is no different than the Sidearm (stabilizing the bike while securing the front wheel). The Cobra had 'em both beat in this regard, but IT had a really annoying red knob that was a nuisance to tighten and tended to loosen during longer drives.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

since 4/10/2009
    I have a pair of sidearms and I really like them. At first, balancing the bike while adjusting the arm was tough, but I'm pretty good at it now and it's no big deal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i just got the sidearm but was in a similar position as you. In the end, the ease of use and lower price of the sidearm won me over. Im very happy with my decision.

Members who have read this thread: 0