Show us your WAGONS!!!!!! - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    I was looking for a wagon recently that is fun to drive and not European. Currently own an Audi sedan and I am spending more on control arms than gas.

Does not exist. I also tested the small crossovers (CX5, crosstrekÖ) they were lame as a lame duck. Handle like an SUV and not as much space as I hoped. When I tried 0 to 60 I actually gave up halfway.

The last thing left to try is a used Acura wagon. No more new wagons in the US. Looks like wagons fell out of fashion for crossovers, which are not the best of both worlds, IMO the other way around.

Is there any model that I missed or should I just give up?
    The CTS-V Wagon (discontinued in 2014) represented perhaps the most audacious branch of the V-Series family tree, with a riveting 556-hp 6.2L supercharged V8 engine, race-bred Bremboģ disc brakes and dual-mode Magnetic Ride Control suspension. And storage was made easy with 58 cubic feet of cargo space1 and a Cargo Management System.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Subaru Outback 3.6r is as close as you're going to get. Americans don't like wagons.

mtbr member
    Not european, sure. But, not fun to drive either

mtbr member
    Yeh, I have no idea how it was designed by the same people that designed the WRX.

mtbr member
    Yeh, I have no idea how it was designed by the same people that designed the WRX.
    Ha ha. That was my thought too when I started driving my wife's new Outback and pushing it a bit. I guess you pay for that high ground clearance in the corners.

And it's getting less and less like a wagon with each new iteration. Much more of an SUV/Crossover these days.

Have you considered the Ford Flex. It's a wagon in spirit but Ford calls it a crossover. It's big and nearly as utilitarian as a minivan, but get the EcoBoost twin turbo and it goes like stink. I miss mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-flex-2.jpg  

Last edited by KRob; 03-28-2017 at 01:44 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    I read audi allegedly are considering the RS6 Avant for the US market. I'm saving my pennies now.

mtbr member
    If only

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    I read audi allegedly are considering the RS6 Avant for the US market. I'm saving my pennies now.
    Every time an audi goes to the shop it's like set of carbon wheels. Priorities

Elitest thrill junkie
    Thought about it for half a second, then checked what the sedan S6 costs, then decided the AMG E63 wagon is probably still the better buy...Wish there were more options.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    No more VAG for me....

mtbr member
    Having owned BMWs Audis Mercs Volvos VWs and Mazda in the last 10 years I have had issues with every brand. Not sure one is more reliable than the other.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

The last thing left to try is a used Acura wagon. No more new wagons in the US. Looks like wagons fell out of fashion for crossovers, which are not the best of both worlds, IMO the other way around.
    The TSX is a great car, but I'm not sure I'd call it "fun". The wagon was also only made in an automatic, which may or may not be a a deal breaker. But with that said, it's a solid car that will last and get great mileage while doing so. The K24 motor also sounds good at high rpm, even if it's coupled to an automatic.

mtbr member
    Regal tour x

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Well, your only remaining options would be the wrx wagon/hatch (pre 08) or a rare to find Legacy GT with a 5spd manual transmission. IIRC both of those have 50/50 torque split with open diffs, IE massive understeer. WRX would have a 2.0 turbo, LGT has the 2.5 na engine. Finding either unmolested will be a feat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Every time an audi goes to the shop it's like set of carbon wheels. Priorities
    sooo true..my S4 Avant just got back for $2k...i think its time to start looking for another wagon but i love that thing. the way it drives, sounds etc
    MyRides - Santa Cruz Tallboy CC, Van Dessel Ramble tamble SS, Look 986 1x10,

mtbr member
    Regal tour x
    [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk
    As in Buick?? Interesting. It looks a bit like the Toyota Venza which I suppose you could sort of categorize as a wagon too. Add two more to your non-euro list CrozCountry.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member

Not smart enough to shift
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Ha ha. That was my thought too when I started driving my wife's new Outback and pushing it a bit. I guess you pay for that high ground clearance in the corners.

And it's getting less and less like a wagon with each new iteration. Much more of an SUV/Crossover these days.

Have you considered the Ford Flex. It's a wagon in spirit but Ford calls it a crossover. It's big and nearly as utilitarian as a minivan, but get the EcoBoost twin turbo and it goes like stink. I miss mine.
    We love our Flex! The awd twin turbo option is a blast to drive and fits our family needs perfectly.

Cheers,
    -A
    Disclaimer: I'm a fan-boi for Jenson USA.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I posted about my R320 4Matic Diesel awhile back and feel somewhat compelled to update based upon nine months of ownership.

I mentioned that it was turned in by the original owner as a lemon after it repeatedly tripped the CEL and no one could figure out why. Well, I finally figured it out and somewhat by accident.

The turbo on this thing had been replaced under warranty by Mercedes Benz @ around 30K miles. Apparently when reassembling, some ham-fisted MBZ tech broke the plastic plenum right where it attaches to the inlet of the turbo. It was sucking fresh air behind the Air Mass Meters and the computer couldn't reconcile the signal with what the O2 Sensors were seeing. It kept tripping he light. I replaced the plenum back in August and have had no issues whatsoever since then.

Bottom line, we LOVE this car/van/wagon/SUV! With 398 lb/ft of torque I have seen just a tick under 29 Mpg on the freeway and easily the best riding vehicle I have owned. Maybe I got lucky.
    Goya! It's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes. Livin in an Idiocracy.

mtbr member
    I was looking for a wagon recently that is fun to drive and not European. Currently own an Audi sedan and I am spending more on control arms than gas.

Does not exist. I also tested the small crossovers (CX5, crosstrekÖ) they were lame as a lame duck. Handle like an SUV and not as much space as I hoped. When I tried 0 to 60 I actually gave up halfway.

Is there any model that I missed or should I just give up?
    You can look at the 2017 Golf Wagons. Its got a 1.8T engine with the 4 Motion drivetrain. If the stock 180hp isn't enough...there are numerous aftermarket tuners that provide software to bump power. Buddy of mine just picked one up for a crackin deal. VW is offering some good deals post Diesel Gate.

mtbr member
    Are the golf wagons made in Mexico ? That would be non European.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    You can look at the 2017 Golf Wagons. Its got a 1.8T engine with the 4 Motion drivetrain. If the stock 180hp isn't enough...there are numerous aftermarket tuners that provide software to bump power. Buddy of mine just picked one up for a crackin deal. VW is offering some good deals post Diesel Gate.
    This, a Golf Sportwagen or Alltrack handles well and is fun to drive, and if you need more power a simple software tune can bring it past GTi power levels. It is also more spacious in the cargo area than a Crosstrek or similar.

Yes, but I think designed in Germany counts more than where it is built.

mtbr member
    So would the Hondas and Toyotas built in the United States not be Japanese cars?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    So would the Hondas and Toyotas built in the United States not be Japanese cars?
    Don't forget the three Subaru models made in Lafayette, Indiana for the past couple decades...

mtbr member
    A few posts earlier one of the posters asked for a non European Wagon and a golf was then suggested. I was giving the guy that suggested a golf an out !

mtbr member
    A few posts earlier one of the posters asked for a non European Wagon and a golf was then suggested. I was giving the guy that suggested a golf an out !
    Like this one?

mtbr member
    I work for vw/audi.

The new 1.8t and 2.0t havent been out long, but long enough for people to reflash. I've already replaced a few engines 100% due to the reflash. We also log the flash and void your warranty on the spot, so its all out of pocket when things do break. Did an engine and turbo at about 15k miles, for about 15k dollars recently. That was nearly half the cost of the car, but we required payment all at once.

Keep flashing them though! We have a kid to put through college, and a house payment to make

I would very very very strongly suggest not tinkering with them. vw/audi cars are nice to drive. They become very unaffordable very quickly once you start voiding your factory warranty. I know theres tons of aftermarket solutions and shops that can cobble together a VAG car, but that's another can of worms in itself.

That said, for my personal car, I picked up a subaru outback. For what it is, and what its designed for, it handles excellent. Its in no way suitable for autocrossing or anything silly, but my family fits in it comfortably, its got gobs of traction all the time, and it feels planted.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I work for vw/audi.

The new 1.8t and 2.0t havent been out long, but long enough for people to reflash. I've already replaced a few engines 100% due to the reflash. We also log the flash and void your warranty on the spot, so its all out of pocket when things do break. Did an engine and turbo at about 15k miles, for about 15k dollars recently. That was nearly half the cost of the car, but we required payment all at once.

Keep flashing them though! We have a kid to put through college, and a house payment to make

I would very very very strongly suggest not tinkering with them. vw/audi cars are nice to drive. They become very unaffordable very quickly once you start voiding your factory warranty. I know theres tons of aftermarket solutions and shops that can cobble together a VAG car, but that's another can of worms in itself.

That said, for my personal car, I picked up a subaru outback. For what it is, and what its designed for, it handles excellent. Its in no way suitable for autocrossing or anything silly, but my family fits in it comfortably, its got gobs of traction all the time, and it feels planted.
    After the Bullsh!t they pulled, I'd never own or drive one!

mtbr member
    You mean dieselgate? I suppose i'm a bit indifferent. It takes about half a second standing behind a TDI to realize it is, and always has been, a toxic gas spewing emissions beast. I cant believe anyone bought one thinking it was a cleaner option, and it seems odd that people are now upset.

It feels like moving next to the city dump, then acting all upset when a study is released saying it stinks there.

mtbr member
    You mean dieselgate? I suppose i'm a bit indifferent. It takes about half a second standing behind a TDI to realize it is, and always has been, a toxic gas spewing emissions beast. I cant believe anyone bought one thinking it was a cleaner option, and it seems odd that people are now upset.

It feels like moving next to the city dump, then acting all upset when a study is released saying it stinks there.
    Umm, no Cracker Jack. It also included over 100,000 Audi A6, A8, Q5 and Q7 cars.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    One Pivot, I worked at a shop that sold/serviced VW. Early 2000's or so. Replaced a lot of coils on the coils on plug type and a lot of MAF sensors. They were fun cars to drive but seemed like they would be expensive once the warranty ran out. Do the newer models have any reliability problems? How is that 2.5 5 cylinder? I seem to like the idea of it, should pull a Golf around pretty well. Did the VW diagnostic machine ever get updated? I think I remember it running on some obsolete Windows OS and VW was mandating running the guided fault finding and printing results in order to get paid for a repair under warranty. That was a waste of time and often had a tech do un-needed repairs.
    Thanks, MikeB

mtbr member
    I work for vw/audi.

That's not right. Warranty should not be voided automatically due to a reflash. Dealer has to prove the flash caused the part(s) to fail.

mtbr member
    That's not right. Warranty should not be voided automatically due to a reflash. Dealer has to prove the flash caused the part(s) to fail.
    By law, yes. But, in actuality, no. If they refuse what recourse does the customer have? Not really any.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    By law, yes. But, in actuality, no. If they refuse what recourse does the customer have? Not really any.
    I've been open with BMW and Audi about my flashes and they never gave me a hard time. My Volvo has a polestar tune which categorically doesn't void the warranty.

mtbr member
    I've been open with BMW and Audi about my flashes and they never gave me a hard time. My Volvo has a polestar tune which categorically doesn't void the warranty.
    It depends what dealership you do business with. Some dealerships do everything they can to avoid any warranty work. Some dealers won't honor warranties even if the modification has nothing to do with the warranty issue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I work for vw/audi.

Back to stock software when you take it in for service (who takes their VAG to service at the stealership anyways these days )

80% of the dealers in NorCal are fine with ECU upgrades

mtbr member
    Pajero Sport
    Swagman Rack
    South Coast West Australia

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Here is mine, an old 2001 xc, with 526,000 km! Yes that's right guys 1/2 million kms! And still running strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    It depends what dealership you do business with. Some dealerships do everything they can to avoid any warranty work. Some dealers won't honor warranties even if the modification has nothing to do with the warranty issue.
    I dont expect people who dont work in the industry to understand... but thats ok.

No, dealers dont go out of their way to void your warranty. Money is money. A blown up engine is a LOT of money in the pocket of the guy writing you up. Especially with VAG. If they can warranty it, they're going to. If anything, dealers will pull some stuff to get your stuff warrantied. Again, its a *lot* of money in our pockets. We do not approve or deny your warranty anyway.

The process of flagging a VW or audi for the flash is called TD1. Its automatic, and its actually hidden from the dealer. We have no idea that your cars vin has been flagged as modified until the data has electronically been submitted to corporate.

Im at a norcal dealer. We dont care if you flash your car and we'll do everything we can to cover everything we can... but if the scantool gets hooked up (and it will!), you'll automatically be flagged and its waaaaaay out of our hands.

Engine coverage alone can be voided while the rest of your warranty is 100% intact. TD1 cars no longer have an engine warranty. When a rod is sticking out the side of your block on an engine not known to fail, its not hard proving it was the flash.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristian94568 View Post
    Back to stock software when you take it in for service (who takes their VAG to service at the stealership anyways these days )

80% of the dealers in NorCal are fine with ECU upgrades
    We're going to put in about zero effort to figure out if you flashed back to stock. We just need to see the stock software, and its only so we get paid on the warranty too. Its not in our interest to dig up the old software you had, it means we dont get paid!

I am trying to discourage people from buying and modifying new cars. Get yourself a ~2010 era A4 quattro and boost it to the moon. They're cheap now, they end up faster, and the warranty is long gone anyway!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Here is my E55 AMG Wagon with its new Rockymounts BrassKnuckles rack.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL Jack View Post
    Here is my E55 AMG Wagon with its new Rockymounts BrassKnuckles rack.
    Sick! Looks good

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Here's my A4 avant from the other night

방랑외국인
    Want...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motard5 View Post
    Want...

Yes. Although I am waiting to see the new v60 Cross Country.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    New V60 cross country ? They're coming out with a new V60 soon ? I test drove the current one and wanted more power as only T5 so got a regular V60 R Design T6 and slapped on a polestar tune.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-35776902733_b3fc53a2f7_b.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Another A4 avant here. Shown with a Kuat trio on top of whispbars. Have a 1up on order so that'll be going on the roof soon.

fc
    head minion Administrator

Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!

Picked this for $2k for my kid. He is very pleased. 2004 with 180k miles
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    New V60 cross country ? They're coming out with a new V60 soon ? I test drove the current one and wanted more power as only T5 so got a regular V60 R Design T6 and slapped on a polestar tune.
    With the new XC60 already out it can't be long, right? I haven't seen pricing yet, but I think the V90 Cross Country is going to be out of my price range. Looks great though.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    OK, I guess technically mine is a hatchback but I consider it wagon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-dickerson-mine-trailhead.jpg  

2016 Salsa Bucksaw Carbon
    2016 Pivot Mach 6 Carbon
    2017 Trek CrossRip 2
    2020 Sonder Signal Ti

mtbr member
    With the new XC60 already out it can't be long, right? I haven't seen pricing yet, but I think the V90 Cross Country is going to be out of my price range. Looks great though.
    I tried a V90. Like them. Too big for my needs and definitely will be way more money than a V60.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    One Pivot- I'm late to the thread but VW is notorious from trying to get out of warranting work.

I had one of those wonderful DMFs on my 2005.5 Jettas- they refused warranty.

How about all those HPFP failures during the first few years the CR engine came out? People getting told it was bad fuel and they'd have to pay 10k out of pocket for a fuel system replacement on a 21k vehicle.

Like VWs to drive, they can pack sand as a company, will never own another one.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    That's a good buy, FC and such a cool car/bike hauler. I don't even want to talk about the "$3000" we spent on my then 16 year old's first car. Should of went practical. #2020hindsight

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    MY XC70 T6 doing double duty as bike hauler and RV hauler.

Photo taken at 12K feet at the top of Independence pass.

Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-img_2583.jpg
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyride1 View Post
    OK, I guess technically mine is a hatchback but I consider it wagon.
    What car is that?

mtbr member
    What car is that?
    2015 Mazda 3s Touring Hatchback. 2.5L 6-speed manual.
    2016 Pivot Mach 6 Carbon
    2017 Trek CrossRip 2
    2020 Sonder Signal Ti

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Volvo did an R model that was turbo,manual and AWD. I long for a sleeper wagon like that.

mtbr member
    A manual wagon was always on the wishlist for the wife and I. I initially started looking at Audi S4 Avants (2006-2008) with the V8 (344hp), but soon realized they are a maintenance nightmare. We settled on a 2007 A4 Avant with the V6 (256hp) and couldnt be happier. Manual, AWD, and lots of power without turbo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    A manual wagon was always on the wishlist for the wife and I. I initially started looking at Audi S4 Avants (2006-2008) with the V8 (344hp), but soon realized they are a maintenance nightmare. We settled on a 2007 A4 Avant with the V6 (256hp) and couldnt be happier. Manual, AWD, and lots of power without turbo.
    Jeez, that really is a unicorn. Nice find, any pics?

mtbr member
    Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-audi-3_4-rear.jpg

Here she is when we found her on the used lot!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Enjoy it! Mine is a v6 as well, love the exhaust note that motor makes. Here's a pic of mine with a roof basket.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    A4 Avants are awesome. I wish they still made them. I looked at Allroads for a bit but CPOs are just too much money.

We ended up getting a new 2017 GolfSportwagen DSG 4Motion S for $21k. Great value. It's a base model (4Motion only comes in S trim), but we prefer the cloth and it has heated seats and CarPlay/AndroidAuto which is great. It drives great and the DSG/4Motion combo is nice. My friend has the same car in FWD/auto and it suffers from a lot of one-wheel-peel and slower shifting. It's basically a Golf R with soft suspension and a weaker motor, but can carry more bikes! :P

That said, it is a VW so of course at 8000 miles the window regulator is dying. Luckily this is my 6th VW and like 10th german car so i know the routine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I wish Subaru would bring back the Legacy wagon. It's insane to see the prices for a used 2005 Legacy GT wagon manual.
    Ripley LS v3

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    Volvo did an R model that was turbo,manual and AWD. I long for a sleeper wagon like that.
    My friend who works at Ibis has the R wagon of this generation. He modded the engine and suspension so it is downright scary on a mountain road with 4 folks and bikes.
    IPA will save America

fc
    My kid's college car is evolving still

Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-img_0246.jpg

Hope he takes it on great adventures.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HuffyMan View Post
    That said, it is a VW so of course at 8000 miles the window regulator is dying. Luckily this is my 6th VW and like 10th german car so i know the routine.
    I spend more on window regulators than gas. The standard service on VW/Audi is oil+filter+window regulator.

mtbr member

2010s are cheap b/c they have a bit of an oil consumption problem...

We're going to put in about zero effort to figure out if you flashed back to stock. We just need to see the stock software, and its only so we get paid on the warranty too. Its not in our interest to dig up the old software you had, it means we dont get paid!

I am trying to discourage people from buying and modifying new cars. Get yourself a ~2010 era A4 quattro and boost it to the moon. They're cheap now, they end up faster, and the warranty is long gone anyway!
    and if you buy a used one you'll never know it's been chipped and flagged by Audi until it's too late. That happened to me (you can see the avant in an earlier post). I bought the car used with 9K miles. It was chipped by the previous owner. Carmax had no idea when they sold it to me.By the time Audi settled the class action for oil consumption, and I brought it in for the fix,the dealer said "sorry, you have a TD1 flag. But if you'd like to pay us to do it, it's $8k." Buyer beware. I know my chipped engine did not cause Audi to install faulty parts that caused this issue, but they had a free pass to not pay for the fix. I sold the avant and picked up a CPO BMW. I still have a crazy modded 2000 A4, but she's in the care of an independent Audi tech.

mtbr member
    Ooo. Now weíre talking.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Ooo. Now weíre talking.

I'm interested in it. We just got an 18 XC60 to replace the 15. But honestly I'm still getting used to the touch screen. Call me old fashioned. It drives differently though. My 16 V60 has the same engine as the new one will have.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Just turned over 100k miles on this guy.

mtbr member

I am loving this joker for sure.

SEI Racing

rbs
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    This one :-) '05 300,000kms, no idea what could replace it.

Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-p20150822_155618.jpg
    Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-20161023_154852.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rbs View Post
    This one :-) '05 300,000kms, no idea what could replace it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p20150822_155618.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	1184894

Name:	20161023_154852.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	207.9 KB 
ID:	1184895
    Honestly when you want sports car ability on the road, and still have a lot of cabin room. The older foster STI is one of its only contenders. Anything new in its category are too heavy.

A boost controller and supention upgrade made it into a real beast. Every time I look for one. No one wants to sell one with a manual transmission.

mtbr member
    I'm interested in it. We just got an 18 XC60 to replace the 15. But honestly I'm still getting used to the touch screen. Call me old fashioned. It drives differently though. My 16 V60 has the same engine as the new one will have.
    Iím liking it. The hybrid version sounds interesting. Interested to see the V60 cc too which I assume will show up soon.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

2010-2018

2010-2018
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-thumbnail_img_6941.jpg  

Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-thumbnail_img_6942.jpg  

Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-thumbnail_img_6947.jpg  

Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-28052463_1923054534677331_1469814526_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I wish Subaru would bring back the Legacy wagon. It's insane to see the prices for a used 2005 Legacy GT wagon manual.
    Our dealer begged us to trade in our 2006 LGT. We drove off in a 2011 Tribeca for under invoice out the door. Those year LGT's were probably the best looking Subies ever next to the 22B imo.

Could always find a needle in the haystack like a 2009 LGT specB...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    From uk my bmw f11

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My A4 Avant Ultrasport 6 speed, with a few handling and performance mods. I keep getting the new car itch but this one really checks most of the "commuter car" boxes for me. Not a lot of options for fun to drive, AWD or RWD, 4 door, manual trans wagons out there these days.

Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-20140222_102315.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Rolled over 205,000 miles. Rough around the edges, gets raced in autocross and rallycross. Little tune, and a little motor work. Probably going E85 soon (just need injectors). Biggest problem is it needs fresh springs (maybe kings?).

Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-mvimg_20180305_165818.jpg
    Last edited by Tbev; 03-07-2018 at 11:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Can't see the image, won't load from link

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Fixed, used HTML link without realizing it was verboten.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mama View Post
    My A4 Avant Ultrasport 6 speed, with a few handling and performance mods. I keep getting the new car itch but this one really checks most of the "commuter car" boxes for me. Not a lot of options for fun to drive, AWD or RWD, 4 door, manual trans wagons out there these days.

Name:	20140222_102315.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	1186251
    Does yours not have roof rails?

What hitch did you use? I had a hitch on my old B6 which rusted like crazy and looked terrible but Iíve been thinking about one on my current B7. I have 2 kids so donít have enough room to fit bikes for everyone on the roof alone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by christophert21 View Post
    From uk my bmw f11

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Like!

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by grizwold View Post
    Does yours not have roof rails?

What hitch did you use? I had a hitch on my old B6 which rusted like crazy and looked terrible but Iíve been thinking about one on my current B7. I have 2 kids so donít have enough room to fit bikes for everyone on the roof alone.

Nice B7...

mtbr member
    I had one of these made up by an engineer friend for my b7. He made a few of them for a local car club, but im pretty sure he isnt making them anymore.Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-audi-hitch-front.jpgShow us your WAGONS!!!!!!-b7-hitch.jpgShow us your WAGONS!!!!!!-b7-hitch-3.jpgShow us your WAGONS!!!!!!-b7-hitch-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    That is a really cool hitch!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Old bikes, old wagons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-233c0a70-3748-41c1-a22b-20d1a9ff9647.jpg  

Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-78679ac4-9358-4b5e-b85a-78582fe1303a.jpeg  

Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-6f9140d7-4e51-4353-93af-270cff46f72e.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Lots of maintenance and upkeep but a blast to drive...summer mode awaiting cross bar transfer, whispbars forthcoming

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Cool-blue Rhythm Glamping in the Sierras last week

2009 RR Sport... switched from having a few 4Runners
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-fullsizeoutput_16ed.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Markiss View Post
    2009 RR Sport...
    Nice, but not a wagon!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    2011 Jetta TDI Sportwagen AKA Jediwagen.Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-jetta1.jpgShow us your WAGONS!!!!!!-jetta2.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    wagon can be a general term... i don't see much of a reason not to have 4WD tho...

ballbuster
    Yeah, but that has to be almost into 6 figure territory. Yikes! But, if you got the budget, it's sweet as heck

ballbuster
    I spend more on window regulators than gas. The standard service on VW/Audi is oil+filter+window regulator.
    Hmmmm, I've owned 5 Audis and 1 VW with electric windows. I never had a failure... and I drive and use my windows A LOT.

I think I read somewhere that Audi/VW window regulators are sensitive to overheating if you hit the window switch and hold it once the window is all the way up or down. I mostly use the automatic up and down.

ballbuster
    I just found this thread again. I'm digging all the wagons. Maybe we alone can resurrect the wagon market in the US.

BTW, I'm up to 168k miles on the Audi A4 Avant/MT6. Engine and trans are still tight. Suspension is annoying. Sway bar bushings creak, ball joints wear out. Good thing I swap all that stuff out myself or I'd be broke.

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    I just found this thread again. I'm digging all the wagons. Maybe we alone can resurrect the wagon market in the US.

BTW, I'm up to 168k miles on the Audi A4 Avant/MT6. Engine and trans are still tight. Suspension is annoying. Sway bar bushings creak, ball joints wear out. Good thing I swap all that stuff out myself or I'd be broke.
    Werd...
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yeah, but that has to be almost into 6 figure territory. Yikes! But, if you got the budget, it's sweet as heck
    Yep, you can already get the benz E63 AMG wagon, which is arguably better engine placement compared to audi, I think that'd be a no-brainer due to the massive torque it's making these days. I think it'd be better to have an RS4/M3 size wagon, more fun (nimble, lighter, etc.).

There have been hints at the RS6 for a while, but nothing really solid.

The Stinger is supposed to be killing it anyways. That's probably your go-to for a bit bigger car with massive utility.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

knobby noob
    Here is mine! Volvo bike-wagons rock...

'12 Trance X1 / '13 Atlas / '14 SB66 / '16 Smuggler (gone)
    '15 Torque DHX
    '16 Insurgent
    '18 Smuggler C

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by axl886 View Post
    Here is mine! Volvo bike-wagons rock...

Very nice !

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Finally snapped a pic of my wagon today.

Not sure why two appear?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-fathomonsubaru.jpg  

Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-fathomonsubaruedit.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-img_1119.jpg

VW alltrack. Miss my TDI, but this will do

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-wagon.jpg

My wagon carrying my hardtail.

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by enduro72 View Post

Name:	Wagon.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	1216017

My wagon carrying my hardtail.
    Classic!
    "Nobody likes me."

DJT

mtbr member

My wagon

Made a nice heavy duty receiver hitch from one found in salvage yard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-fullsizeoutput_508.jpg  

Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-dscn3527.jpg  

Tread killer....

mtbr member
    Just had a go of a new V60 R Design. Really good looking car in my opinion. Drove really well. Same enhine as my 2016 R Design. Beautiful inside. But boy have Volvo gotten expensive as they've redone their line up and gotten more popular. My 16 is the white one with the roof rack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Hmmmm, I've owned 5 Audis and 1 VW with electric windows. I never had a failure... and I drive and use my windows A LOT.

I think I read somewhere that Audi/VW window regulators are sensitive to overheating if you hit the window switch and hold it once the window is all the way up or down. I mostly use the automatic up and down.
    My sons Jetta now has only one working power lock actuator. One out of four ainít bad. The car donít lock though. Got out of VW for good a few years ago when two separate coil failures left me stranded. Both before 20k miles.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyAsheville View Post
    My sons Jetta now has only one working power lock actuator. One out of four ainít bad. The car donít lock though. Got out of VW for good a few years ago when two separate coil failures left me stranded. Both before 20k miles.
    Your VW experience is similar to mine. Lots of "little" niggles and I'll never own another one.
    Goya! It's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes. Livin in an Idiocracy.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyAsheville View Post
    My '03 A4 Avant has a dead power lock actuator on the driver's door, and has gone through 3 window regulators (including the 2 rear ones, which hardly ever see any use). It has a mystery electrical drain, flaking clear-coat, and a cracked cylinder head. At 215k miles, I can't expect much less from a VAG product (I have a Eurovan as well...it's a rolling POS)...and a replacement cylinder head is sitting on the porch, waiting to be swapped in this weekend. It has slowly killed my soul over the last 100k miles.
    But it offers so much utility.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Just had a go of a new V60 R Design. Really good looking car in my opinion. Drove really well. Same enhine as my 2016 R Design. Beautiful inside. But boy have Volvo gotten expensive as they've redone their line up and gotten more popular. My 16 is the white one with the roof rack.
    I really like the new Volvoís, price and all. However, I canít subsidize the Chinese government and its misdeeds. South China Sea, espionage, theft of intellectual property, etc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Those V90's are great looking as well..a lotta bike geeks have them around here. good look'n V60 man..you're stoked!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasSingleSpeed View Post
    My '03 A4 Avant has a dead power lock actuator on the driver's door, and has gone through 3 window regulators (including the 2 rear ones, which hardly ever see any use). It has a mystery electrical drain, flaking clear-coat, and a cracked cylinder head. At 215k miles, I can't expect much less from a VAG product (I have a Eurovan as well...it's a rolling POS)...and a replacement cylinder head is sitting on the porch, waiting to be swapped in this weekend. It has slowly killed my soul over the last 100k miles.
    But it offers so much utility.
    Ha, i've gotta '06 S4 Avant that "kills my sole and wallet" every time i step into it. My cats are gone, suspensions f'd up and waiting for the timing chains to go (i am sitting on the full kit to replace, which is only a quarter of the labor cost (24 hours to do a timing job)... looking to sell and possible get a SQ5 (thoughts, opinions appreciated)

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Wow. Just found this tread. Had a Grenada SW years ago. I needed something cheap when in school. Fell in love. Could stuff my bike, lab and other misc stuff into it. I love the high power ones from across the pond.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mackdhagen View Post
    Ha, i've gotta '06 S4 Avant that "kills my sole and wallet" every time i step into it. My cats are gone, suspensions f'd up and waiting for the timing chains to go (i am sitting on the full kit to replace, which is only a quarter of the labor cost (24 hours to do a timing job)... looking to sell and possible get a SQ5 (thoughts, opinions appreciated)
    LOL, if the timing chains weren't in the flywheel side of that engine...what an engineering faux pas.

I recently replaced the suspension, complete exhaust and A/C compressor, so I'm financially invested to keep it around for a few more years. I'll probably keep it around for my son to drive...

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Ok, hereís my wagon...CTS V manual slick top. Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-64b35194-5c94-4723-b58e-fdf964e8af80.jpg

I like turtles
    Wagons rule. 2018 VW Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion w/DSG. Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU tune/Stage 1 TCU tune. Freaking love this thing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

Up In Smoke
    Ď97 Accord Wagon, I got this baby after my Ducati caught fire. Love this car, only wish it was AWD

Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-6d48611f-702f-4805-a7bb-e0ab6aa64d72.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Wagons rule. 2018 VW Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion w/DSG. Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU tune/Stage 1 TCU tune. Freaking love this thing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Nice! I was looking hard at these when I bought my wagon, the DSG transmission is just so freaking awesome.

I got scared and went E91 again though. Go with what I know.

I like turtles
    Quote Originally Posted by msrothwe View Post
    Nice! I was looking hard at these when I bought my wagon, the DSG transmission is just so freaking awesome.

I got scared and went E91 again though. Go with what I know.

Took a hard look at ~3 year old 3 series wagons, but I got this OTD with the tunes/mods for less than an off-lease BMW so a no-brainer. 6 yr/72K warranty. The 4mo trim is a rare one and only available in the base S trim with some amenities (the S 4Mo is basically a winter package) but you get the DSG so tuning is no issue. Also had a manual option. It's a great little car for $20K new.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

Co Springs
    Thanks to all for posting some wagon-love photos & VW GSW.
    I've went from bad to worse at figuring out pictures here but I'll get into it one of these days.

Mine is a '17 Sportwagen rather than Alltrack, just a preference I had on the outside appearance and less trim. Night blue is somewhat boring to look at IMO but the car is a blast to scoot around in and searching cars when I was ready to buy didn't offer many available around here. Wheels and tint should sport it up some later on. APR is tempting.
    I chose it as DSG, 4 motion and favored the simple S model. It has a few niceties and missing nothing I really wanted in extras.
    Presently at 14 months ownership from new purchase and 7500 miles or so.

Nearly $5000 below msrp and few cars available at lesser cost from new, I am enjoying everything about it and continue to be impressed. The 2018 warranty was better than '17 so I knew going into it I'd work them on something. I ended up having them make up the difference in warranty coverage so it was extended just a bit without my having to buy extra.

Not sure what $20k buys new anymore when put to the check boxes but I wanted practical, inexpensive utility. Sharing some traits/bloodline with Car & Drivers 10 best list for about a dozen years (Golf) helped secure my interest too. I still see a lot of car forums/owner postings showing well beyond rated mpg for hwy Ö Maybe something about that last big news item for VW makes them want to deliver more than promised ?
    "Before you criticize, you should walk a mile in their shoes. You'll be a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Took a hard look at ~3 year old 3 series wagons, but I got this OTD with the tunes/mods for less than an off-lease BMW so a no-brainer. 6 yr/72K warranty. The 4mo trim is a rare one and only available in the base S trim with some amenities (the S 4Mo is basically a winter package) but you get the DSG so tuning is no issue. Also had a manual option. It's a great little car for $20K new.
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    Mine is a '17 Sportwagen rather than Alltrack,
    Sounds like you guys got good deals! I couldn't find any of the regular "S" models around me with AWD, and the alltrack cars were all ~30-32k. I kinda wish they would put the 7-speed DSG in the wagons though, I had that transmission in an Audi Q3 that I rented in Italy--its even better than the already excellent 6-speed.

Maybe I can sell my wife on the #wagonlyfe. Right now she's pretty stuck on the #boringjapaneseSUVlyfe...

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    ]My 05 Impreza wagon served me flawlessly for 13 years, but Subaru has turned its back on the wagon segment. I never even considered going euro, but if you want an awd wagon with a manual while staying well under 25k, I believe sportwagen is the only choice in the US. Found this at a dealer two hours away marked down four grand and have been happy with it, but have my doubts whether it will hold up to the bike life the way the Subie did.Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-b01e52f7-23a3-43fd-ae21-2f72c6ecb8d0.jpg
    15 nomad c
    16 skookum

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Pitted View Post
    ]My 05 Impreza wagon served me flawlessly for 13 years, but Subaru has turned its back on the wagon segment. .

Name:	B01E52F7-23A3-43FD-AE21-2F72C6ECB8D0.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	368.6 KB 
ID:	1265197
    Curious comment as Subaru makes the Impreza hatchback (a mini wagon), the Crosstrek which is essentially a lifted Impreza and the Outback.

The prices have gone up (for every manufacturer) and while the OB is north of $25,000, the Impreza can be found here locally for under $22,000 for base models with some Crosstreks priced at a tad over $25,000.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Catmandoo View Post
    the Crosstrek..
    Having both an Alltrack and a Crosstrek I can tell you the VW is in another league WRT both performance and space. The Crosstrek/Impreza is a hatchback, not a wagon.

For a car marketed to the outdoors crowd, you're VERY hard pressed to fit 3 people and their gear for a weekend ski trip in the Crosstrek. Four people and their bike gear is almost a non-starter. I love that thing for light offroading and day trips to the ski hill though. It's surprisingly off-roadable for a car.

When we were shopping for a new car for my wife I REALLY wanted a Volvo V60 but couldn't justify the $ for a new one and there were no used ones where I live.

Here's our wagon although it now has red Rocky Mount bike trays on top. I love this car.

Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-img_1099.jpg

We drank the VW Kool-Aid and have had good luck with them (2 Jettas, the Alltrack, Vanagon, and Super Beetle). Haven't really had any major issues with the modern Dubs, and certainly no window regulator problems. We did finally sell the 2001 Jetta Wagon partly due to an electrical issue (probably coil packs) but also because we came into a bit of $ and decided to buy our first brand new car after 30 years of driving used ones. That Jetta was 16 years old at the time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Curious comment as Subaru makes the Impreza hatchback (a mini wagon), the Crosstrek which is essentially a lifted Impreza and the Outback.

The prices have gone up (for every manufacturer) and while the OB is north of $25,000, the Impreza can be found here locally for under $22,000 for base models with some Crosstreks priced at a tad over $25,000.
    Actually, the Impreza is a subcompact, the cross trek is a crossover as is the outback with its abortion of a cvt trans. Non of these models hit the mark for an enthusiast driver. Now if Subaru brought back the wrx hatch, I might be able to overlook the cramped interior.
    15 nomad c
    16 skookum

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-T View Post
    Having both an Alltrack and a Crosstrek I can tell you the VW is in another league WRT both performance and space. The Crosstrek/Impreza is a hatchback, not a wagon.

For a car marketed to the outdoors crowd, you're VERY hard pressed to fit 3 people and their gear for a weekend ski trip in the Crosstrek. Four people and their bike gear is almost a non-starter. I love that thing for light offroading and day trips to the ski hill though. It's surprisingly off-roadable for a car.
    Is why I called it a "hatchback" as well as a "mini-wagon", mostly as my wife's Impreza HB has about the same interior room as my old Ford Escort wagon. Crosstrek is as I stated "a lifted Impreza" and I think that confuses people who expect it to magically be roomier than an Impreza.

Everything has gotten bigger unfortunately. I prefered the physical size of our '03 OB wagon, it was smaller and easier to park then my '17. Subaru as well has been trying to squeeze every ounce of oommph out of their 2.0L and 2.5L engines that are in some cases too anemic for the vehicles they are used in, the Crosstrek being the most obvious. That would have been a good vehicle for either a 2.5 or a turbo.

I love the look of the AllTracks, but would never buy VW as I think they are even more unreliable then a Subaru (which have their own issues).

mtbr member
    the Crosstrek being the most obvious. That would have been a good vehicle for either a 2.5 or a turbo.
    I think the only one that doesn't agree with this is Subaru for some unknown reason!

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I think the only one that doesn't agree with this is Subaru for some unknown reason!
    Fleet avg. mileage numbers I'd guess.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    ...And VW has killed the wagons. Check Jalopnik. So maybe some deals to be had when they dump the remaining stock.

I started out looking for a red manual Alltrack or Sportwagen, but there weren't any and so after a month I ended up with a red manual GTI. It doesn't fit bikes all that well, but it's a pleasure to drive. I ended up with a hitch mounted bike rack.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Considering how few XT Foresters they sold- I'd say the customers agree with Subaru.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    I am a sucker for red

mtbr member
    I love the look of the AllTracks, but would never buy VW as I think they are even more unreliable then a Subaru (which have their own issues).
    I would say modern VW's, and especially the current MK7 Golf platform, are very reliable and at least on par with Subaru if not better. I have a 2016 Golf R and it has been trouble free in 33k miles driven. I know two people who have recently needed new transmissions in their less than 5 year old Outbacks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMtnB44 View Post
    I would say modern VW's, and especially the current MK7 Golf platform, are very reliable and at least on par with Subaru if not better. I have a 2016 Golf R and it has been trouble free in 33k miles driven. I know two people who have recently needed new transmissions in their less than 5 year old Outbacks.
    I spoke with a number of Mk6 Golf/GTI owners before I got my Mk7. They all said the car was trouble free except for the electric water pump. This was remedied in the Mk7. I don't expect it to last as long as my Toyotas, but it's way more fun and refined. I rented an Outback for a week and liked the utility of it, but it was incredibly slow. I test drove the WRX but, while it had better performance than the GTI, the interior was pure econobox. Would have worked for me if I were ten years younger. Oh, and no hatch.

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r

Racks:
    • Rockymounts fork mount trays on top
    • 1Up USA HD Quik Rack

Handling:
    • 10% stiffer front springs
    • 15% stiffer rear springs + 1" bottom-out bumpers
    • 19mm rear anti-sway bar

It doesn't handle like an S6 Avant, but it does OK. Neutral at the limit now with the stiffer springs and sway bar, huge improvement over stock. Next up, I want to get a Perrin steering damper bypass. I'm still searching for aftermarket shocks.

Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-img_20150723_090335.jpg

mtbr member
    Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-20131203_192452.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Of course after standing up for the improved VW reliability, my GTI started missing on a cylinder as I was driving to Seattle. Dropping it off at the dealer shortly. At least it has a long warranty!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mackdhagen View Post
    I've had a lot of Audi's, currently have an SQ5. It is sporty and quick, just not huge. Been on multiple road trips with two kids without issue.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy C 29er
    2018 Canyon Dude fatty with Mastodon

viva la v-brakes!
    Finally got my "dream car". Fully loaded for adventure.

1Up rack on the back for the bikes, Yakima roof rack for the other gear, and a few DIY roof rack mounting bits to carry fishing poles and canoe paddles.

Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-unadjustednonraw_thumb_8697.jpg

Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-2wbad2crqduekagnpooefa_thumb_8693.jpg
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Does that fold up easily? LOL.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It is not fully loaded, passengers are missing Might need some rear air suspension system to handle the load

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473 View Post
    Finally got my "dream car". Fully loaded for adventure.

1Up rack on the back for the bikes, Yakima roof rack for the other gear, and a few DIY roof rack mounting bits to carry fishing poles and canoe paddles.

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_8697.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	333.1 KB 
ID:	1276381

Name:	2Wbad2CrQdueKaGNpOOEfA_thumb_8693.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	269.1 KB 
ID:	1276379
    I'm no expert, but that looks like it is at the edge of capacity. It may drive down the road, but it might not be fun.

If that is going to be your load, you may want to look into a trailer situation.

Very nice wagon though.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

viva la v-brakes!
    Rock: Oh, it is definitely at the edge of its capacity. Likely beyond once all four passengers got inside. But this represents the maximum we would ever have in it, 3 adults, 1 child, and all this gear. I was worried, but it actually drove pretty well. We managed to avoid any major potholes on the 800 mile trip, and just kept the highway speed down to 75mph. The only issue is all the weight in the back causes some tail wiggle on high-speed corners.

Over-loaded, and it still got 30 MPG!

MK96: I'm going to talk to the shop that installed the hitch mount about beefing up the rear suspension a bit. It sags quite a bit with just 4 bikes back there, though not much effect on handling, I figure it can't be good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Not sure if this counts but the bmv considers it a wagon. Just picked up this crosstour to keep from putting so many miles on my Type R. Second Pic is a test fit of the Dr Tray with EZ +1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fitek View Post
    ...And VW has killed the wagons. .
    I'll be darned, didn't see that coming.

viva la v-brakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by fitek View Post
    ...And VW has killed the wagons. Check Jalopnik. So maybe some deals to be had when they dump the remaining stock.
    Well that's sh1t. Here's a link to the article. However, I find it odd that the TDI scandal isn't mentioned anywhere. That is really what turned people off to these cars.

For me, I have no interest whatsoever in an SUV or crossover. If not a wagon, I want a light truck. Crossovers are dumb, they're like a Prius that gets shitty fuel economy. Of course, the next time I buy a car it will be self-driving, so we'll see what the future brings.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Good luck with the autonomous car. Tesla's recklessness will bring down the regulatory hammer.

On the up side to VW killing the wagons, may be able to score a cheap Sportwagen or Allsport when the dealers get antsy to move 'em.

There was some goofiness with the options for the Sportwagen. Like, the car I really want is a modern version of the Saab 9-2x-- a higher end WRX wagon. I'm in my late 30s, I don't want an econobox, but I'm not old and boring just yet. I need to carry kids but I still want it to be fun and sporty. But, if you wanted a manual and/or AWD, you were stuck with the Sportwagen's base trim. VW: If I wanted a s*** interior I'd just get the WRX. The resale value is better and so is the performance. Who exactly was the Sportwagen for? I ended up with a GTI SE.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post

Name:	20131203_192452.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	427.3 KB 
ID:	1267077
    Kiwi as

mtbr member
    My first, '03 W8:
    Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-vw-bikes.jpg

My new, 07 328xi:
    Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-ebf95446-6433-4bd3-9bd4-451f45b46c73-6035-000001f9624b66c7.jpg
    I gotta get the racks set up and get some new wheels and rubber for it, but I love it so far.
    trust the tread

'06 Cannondale Prophet 1000
    '18 Specialized AWOL Comp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473 View Post
    Well that's sh1t. Here's a link to the article. However, I find it odd that the TDI scandal isn't mentioned anywhere. That is really what turned people off to these cars.

For me, I have no interest whatsoever in an SUV or crossover. If not a wagon, I want a light truck. Crossovers are dumb, they're like a Prius that gets shitty fuel economy. Of course, the next time I buy a car it will be self-driving, so we'll see what the future brings.
    I used to think this way, but ended up with a small crossover SUV, since wagons are very rare. It does not drive like a car, (regardless of what the BS reviews usually say), but it's got the space and practicality.

I was holding off for self driving car for years until someone in the know told me to forget about it. Still bummed that I have to drive on highways, what a waste of life.

mtbr member
    Snagged us a "fixed" jetta sportwagen tdi...2 yr cpo, low miles, local service history, etc...a lot of car for $11k imo. Replaced a one of a kind C5 allroad (gonna miss that car). Supercharged V8, 6mt swapped beast. But, was time to move on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wsp4me23 View Post
    Snagged us a "fixed" jetta sportwagen tdi...2 yr cpo, low miles, local service history, etc...a lot of car for $11k imo. Replaced a one of a kind C5 allroad (gonna miss that car). Supercharged V8, 6mt swapped beast. But, was time to move on.
    Nice. I miss my Jetta TDI SW. That does look like a nice example for a good price. Iíve heard the performance and gas mileage are pretty comparable to the original. Whatís your experience so far?

That Allroad though! Wow.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Honestly a little too soon to tell and its my first tdi. One month in and I feel it may be a couple mpg down from prefix as advertised. Mixed driving (Chicagoland) has yielded 37-38 combined. It has seen a lot of city driving. So thats not too bad imo. After the 2 yr cpo, will likely get it tuned (both engine and dsg trans). As a car nut, waiting 2 yrs will be an exercise in restraint.

And ya, I really enjoyed transforming that allroad. Was a unique car to have owned. Made more sense when we were living out west. Now, in the city, it made much less, so after about 6 years of owning, time to let it go. Went to an enthusiast who will keep it up and put to good use

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I saw the listing for your allroad (at least I think it was - not many supercharged 4.2 out there) , so badass. Was tempting. I just bought my second allroad after my 2.7T was hit and totalled earlier this year. This time i went 4.2. Found a very nicely maintained one w/ 82k on it. Pick it up tomorrow. Stoked!

mtbr member
    Years ago I had a 2004 allroad 4.2, and it was a great car other than the terrible fuel economy. Ultimately living in the city I didn't get to use the allroad specific features very often and it was really bigger than I needed. I ended up buying a 2016 Golf R new, and kept the allroad for nearly a year after that before finally selling it. The Golf R is fun to drive but isn't the greatest road trip car, and is a bit on the small side. This year I wanted to get back into a proper wagon and was debating between the Golf Alltrack ('17-'18), Audi allroad ('14-'16), or BMW 328 wagon ('15-'17).

I decided to try something new and go with the BMW. I went down a rabbit hole with the combo of colors and options I wanted so it took a long time to finally find a car, but I bought one at the end of July. I'm happy with it so far. It has a great balance of relaxed daily driver and road trip car but surprisingly quick and sporty when I ask it to be.

Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-dsc_0628.jpg
    Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-dsc_0630.jpg
    Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-dsc_0632.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMtnB44 View Post
    I decided to try something new and go with the BMW. I went down a rabbit hole with the combo of colors and options I wanted so it took a long time to finally find a car, but I bought one at the end of July. I'm happy with it so far. It has a great balance of relaxed daily driver and road trip car but surprisingly quick and sporty when I ask it to be.
    I ended up with a BMW too. Everyone loves their beamers and Audis until the day the warranty is over. This is why I leased this time. Next one will be self driving, so I can get proper sleep on the way to Tahoe 😀 Wishful thinking.

Ride what you like!
    No pics, but I am a wagon (and hatchback) guy!
    Here's my list:
    98 Civic hatch with Integra Swap. Surprise!
    05 Mazda6 GT w/6 speed , wagon, not hatch. Fast, until the engine exploded.
    04 Subaru Impreza Outback. Meh.
    07 Subaru Legacy Gt wagon, 6 speed. Hauls bikes, people, and a little ass.
    The revolution starts now
    When you rise above your fear
    And tear the walls around you down
    The revolution starts here

mtbr member
    I ended up with a BMW too. Everyone loves their beamers and Audis until the day the warranty is over. This is why I leased this time. Next one will be self driving, so I can get proper sleep on the way to Tahoe 😀 Wishful thinking.
    This BMW is CPO so it has warranty until spring 2021 which is good, but this generation 3 series appears to be very reliable so far from what I've read on the forums.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    wsp4me23 that C5 4.2 does look like a beast! Hopefully it went to a good home. After all the work you did on it (5spd swap..geesh) must've been hard to see it go.
    Like your A/S8..nice quiver!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    My 08 328Xi, winter setup. Mostly stock, but has KW V1 coilovers.'19 Stumpy ST on the back, went for a quick ride on the way to our race shop to get cars ready for winter strorage.

Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-wagon.jpg

mtbr member

Ď14 VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI with Yakima tack and Rocky Mounts Tray. Technically my wifeís car but we use it a lot for weekend duty instead my Tacoma

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Here is our 2017 Outback. Realize I don't have any pics with more than one MTB on it (mine) so here is one when we took a trip to Acadia with gravel bikes and kayaks.

The best description I have heard of the 5th Gen out back is "the lamest car you will love". Actually, I like it, but don't love it. Two gripes:

1- That $h!tshow that they call a roof rack. Not only does it suck but it is a monumental task to try and get rid of it to use something better.
    2- Have never really gotten comfortable in the drivers seat. That's all personal preference.

AS far as the under powered engine with the CVT.... whatever. Its fast enough, and there is absolutely nothing about this car that brings out the driving enthusiast or spirited driving, anyway. At least I can use the "manual" mode to downshift on hills if I want to. It goes off-road as much as I need it to. And holds as much as it needs to along with our dog.

In the winter the rear is just big enough to hold my fat bike with the wheels on (I don't want road salt on the bike).

At the time we bought it, there were just not many other options for an AWD vehicle in a wagon form (longer and lower), though it is somewhat debatable if this is really a wagon. We had a 1999 Outback before this, and I liked the overall size and shape of that much better. VW announced the release of the Alltrack literally a month after we picked this up. I would have been all over that. Even considered trading in for one, especially once they announced a manual tranny.

However, It has been great for traveling.

Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-017cd0ebae8327ac25c2faa1db82c33b0bc3d884d8.jpg
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Here is our 2017 Volvo V60 Cross Country. We got her for a screaming deal with only 7500 Miles. This is our second V60, and even it is technically my wife's car,I really enjoy driving it, and this is our "Adventure" car!

Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-img_1570.jpgShow us your WAGONS!!!!!!-volvo.jpg

All fat, all the time.
    Don't have a hitch on it yet, but soon. It's my wife's, if I sweet talk her I hope to take it on a BC/Squamish trip this fall.
    Much better mileage than the Jeep, and the AC works lol.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I had wagon envy so I got this one off Craigslist for cheap. Added crossbars and a bike rack. Not an inspiring drive, but comfortable and better handling and gas mileage than an SUV. And I don't mind trashing it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hopefully I'll get my 29er out this year more!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    This is mine.Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-69497462_10219387513455686_8299284061906534400_o.jpg
    2016 Pivot Mach 6 Carbon
    2017 Trek CrossRip 2
    2020 Sonder Signal Ti

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyride1 View Post
    This is mine.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	69497462_10219387513455686_8299284061906534400_o.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	373.6 KB 
ID:	1331341
    What rack is that coming off the hitch?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Been putting my bike inside it for now.

435 HP as she sits.

Custom stereo sounds nice too
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-img_5162.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    We've (wife, me) had 3 nice wagons now. Sorry, no pics handy for the Volvo 855 from the 1990s. Our Outback has been great. The short time with Alltrack has been fun. The Alltrack is smaller and a whole lot more sporty or peppy via turbo and 6 speed manual transmission.

The last Alltracks in US are disappearing fast. Get one while you can.

Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-qdfvzbj.jpg

Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-k9dwvgg.jpg
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    We've (wife, me) had 3 nice wagons now. Sorry, no pics handy for the Volvo 855 from the 1990s. Our Outback has been great. The short time with Alltrack has been fun. The Alltrack is smaller and a whole lot more sporty or peppy via turbo and 6 speed manual transmission.

The last Alltracks in US are disappearing fast. Get one while you can.
    Was thinking of one, but the only way to get the 168hp turbo engine is the stripped model that you can't get any modern tech on, and even then, it's a 3400lbs car with just 168hp, well below what I'd consider "peppy". They really don't want to sell this car in the US because they handicap it so bad. Like why the hell can't we get one with the GTI powertrain or R? The Arteon at least has decent everything, crazy good space being a hatchback, AWD, power, etc. It doesn't "look" like a wagon, but it far surpasses the Alltrack IMO.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post

The last Alltracks in US are disappearing fast.

Name:	K9DwVgG.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	306.4 KB 
ID:	1339177
    Ugh... the Alltrackís release was announced one month after we bought our Outback in 2016. I would have been all over the Alltrack had it been an option.

Thought about trading in for one, especially when I realized it was available in manual tranny. Guess I dallied too long in waiting.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Ugh... the Alltrackís release was announced one month after we bought our Outback in 2016. I would have been all over the Alltrack had it been an option.

Thought about trading in for one, especially when I realized it was available in manual tranny. Guess I dallied too long in waiting.
    The Alltrack was released when we were shopping wagons after turning in our Jetta Sport Wagon TDI and was tops on our list because we loved the Jetta SW. But after cross shopping it and the Outback along with the Volvo V60xc, and Audi Allroad and driving all four, surprisingly, we chose the Outback. Three years and 65,000 miles later, itís been a great, though somewhat boring appliance, er... car.

Is the Alltrack being discontinued? I hadnít heard that. Though not surprised, it had none of the spunk, handling, and soul of the Jetta SW TDI.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Agreed, the TDI Sportwagen was the best. I now have an Alltrack and wanted less turbo lag and more pep, installed one of these and it really made a big difference. I actually think it accelerates better than my TDI now just minus the torque.

https://burgertuning.com/collections...1-jb4-vw-ea888

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Alltrack was released when we were shopping wagons after turning in our Jetta Sport Wagon TDI and was tops on our list because we loved the Jetta SW. But after cross shopping it and the Outback along with the Volvo V60xc, and Audi Allroad and driving all four, surprisingly, we chose the Outback. Three years and 65,000 miles later, itís been a great, though somewhat boring appliance, er... car.

Is the Alltrack being discontinued? I hadnít heard that. Though not surprised, it had none of the spunk, handling, and soul of the Jetta SW TDI.

With 3 Outbacks in the family (siblings, parents), lots more with friends, and testing the 2020 and knowing the TDI version of the wagon I can say it was the spunk that stood out but our Alltrack does have the upgraded wheels and 6 speed. The Outback in recent versions against the EA888 VW engine are about same horsepower but the VW has noticeably more torque.

The 2020 Outback steering and handling (noise too) are noticeably improved but it's also a noticeably bigger car. I can't criticize the Outback size. Its back seat over the earlier TDI wagon were what our kids demanded. That's not an issue for us know. The Golf wagon in all forms is more comfy and especially in back over a smaller Subaru.

The first video is kind of funny because it's the 6 cyl, and my brother's Outback is a last 6 speed 2014. Our Outback is a CVT 4 cyl Limited. Both are slugs whether acceleration or handling compared to the Alltrack. A friend had and another still has 6 cyl Outbacks. My observation or feeling from trying several is a 6 cyl or new XT (turbo) Outback certainly has power but you can't work with it the way you can with VW's 6 speed manual or dual clutch auto. The naturally aspirated Subaru 4 is plenty find but not a lot of power for the size of the car.

Its only been one short freeway trip but the 30 ft pounds more torque doesn't make the VW feel like it's working the way the non-turbo Outback does. The narrow 5th and 6th split is higher speed perfection when the CVT works but is less pleasant.

To be fair, the Outbacks are very nice. Subaru EyeSight is better at knowing lanes than the VW electronics. The VW is not as big as the Outback in a nice sort of way if like us, you're not worried about family of 5 transportation anymore. It complements our having the Sienna SE that's a sporty van if there's such a thing.

FWIW, we drove by our local dealer early yesterday AM. It looks like 3/12 Alltracks left. Searching inventory in the region, it looks like less than 1/2 the number there 10-14 days ago.

Edit: For the other post. Yes, Alltrack and other wagons are being discontinued. The Buick Tour X was more dried up in inventory than the VW. Even with some tweaks with the offerings and packages, Alltrack sold 1/10 of the Tiguan last year. If I recall last year's Audi Allroad barely sold against their CarUVs. In doing car homework I believe I read the Jaguar wagon might die. Volvo is still committed to wagons but as former 855 wagon owner, the current ones were not appealing.

ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Was thinking of one, but the only way to get the 168hp turbo engine is the stripped model that you can't get any modern tech on, and even then, it's a 3400lbs car with just 168hp, well below what I'd consider "peppy". They really don't want to sell this car in the US because they handicap it so bad. Like why the hell can't we get one with the GTI powertrain or R? The Arteon at least has decent everything, crazy good space being a hatchback, AWD, power, etc. It doesn't "look" like a wagon, but it far surpasses the Alltrack IMO.
    ^ where you said "168hp turbo engine" I think you meant to say "manual transmission". All alltracks have the same turbo engine, but only base models have the manual trans option. However the automatic option is a DSG, like in the GTI and R. That said, after owning a manual MK7 Golf R, I would not recommend the manual trans as it's not very good IMO, but the DSG is generally liked. I do wish a stock alltrack had more power, like if they gave it 200 hp so as to split the difference with the GTI. But as is, you can swap the stock alltrack turbo for a GTI turbo and with a tune have the same power levels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Gonna give this thread a little bump.

2015 Allroad, which has been absolutely fantastic for me.

I'm a big fan of traveling with my bike inside the car. It allows me to drive however I want knowing that the bike isn't gonna go anywhere. And when I throw a black towel over the frame nobody knows there's a bike inside so less stress if I feel like stopping at a grocery store or brewery. Then I'll throw my Thule box on the roof if I need a spot for wet/gross gear, or for road trip/camping gear.

Pic is from Mt. Hood a couple of years back. Unfortunately, my roadie up to OR this year won't be happening :/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-img_20180919_162905-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    My E63 wagon

Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-b5deded7_0084_4b43_ae9d_a8913b4d296b_7643d682c84ebccd693520ef69fab26d439b611a.jpg

Show us your WAGONS!!!!!!-1c7cfac2-db24-4bc8-a00f-c31edf06ac89.jpg
    2017 Bikey McBikeface Carbon

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronpass View Post
    My E63 wagon

Name:	b5deded7_0084_4b43_ae9d_a8913b4d296b_7643d682c84ebccd693520ef69fab26d439b611a.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	231.2 KB 
ID:	1352769

Name:	1C7CFAC2-DB24-4BC8-A00F-C31EDF06AC89.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	343.0 KB 
ID:	1352771
    Hell yes. E63, CTS-V, RS6, THOSE are the ultimate cars IMO!

Quote Originally Posted by sa12 View Post
    Gonna give this thread a little bump.

2015 Allroad, which has been absolutely fantastic for me.

I'm a big fan of traveling with my bike inside the car. It allows me to drive however I want knowing that the bike isn't gonna go anywhere. And when I throw a black towel over the frame nobody knows there's a bike inside so less stress if I feel like stopping at a grocery store or brewery. Then I'll throw my Thule box on the roof if I need a spot for wet/gross gear, or for road trip/camping gear.

Pic is from Mt. Hood a couple of years back. Unfortunately, my roadie up to OR this year won't be happening :/
    Audi should give the "Smallroad" a bigger, better engine.... or, simply release the RS6 to US customers.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne_Pepa View Post
    Audi should give the "Smallroad" a bigger, better engine.... or, simply release the RS6 to US customers.
    The RS6 Avant is coming, but itís like $120,000.

Besides, the EA888 is a damn good motor, it punches way above its level. Iím strongly considering an Allroad for my next vehicle, though it might be a little while as my E91 is still going strong.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne_Pepa View Post
    I'd rather see them offer a manual transmission. The ZF8 tune is super unexciting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronpass View Post
    My E63 wagon

Name:	b5deded7_0084_4b43_ae9d_a8913b4d296b_7643d682c84ebccd693520ef69fab26d439b611a.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	231.2 KB 
ID:	1352769
    Hubba hubba. Wow that's sexy.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That AMG is ridiculous, as is the RS6 Avant, and when I make my 8th million dollars of disposable money I will have one...

My beautiful new-to-me 2007 A4 Avant got totaled in 2017 with just under 100k on it. I found an 2011 E91 328i with only 46k on it for a steal to replace it and am now at 88k. Paid the German tax on both and had to address the stereotypical issues for each model. With that behind me so far so good on the E91. I can fit 3 bikes on the roof and my ice fishing shanty in the back, plus it is fun to drive. I don't need ground clearance where I am at so it works just fine.

Wagons, er, estate cars, are the perfect SUV for my needs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123