Which setup for factory rack- Mtbr.com
    Flat six
    Feb 2011

Which setup for factory rack

This has probably been hashed out already, but I have an 03 Outback and want to get a roof mount for my bike. I was looking at the three Yakima options which accommodate factory crossbars; the forklift, the frontloader, and the raptor aero.

They all look suitable, but I'm just not sure which to pick (or if there is a better option from another company. I looked at Thule but didn't see any compelling options.

I don't really care whether it requires removing the front tire, I just want it to be stable. I wouldn't ever be leaving the bike on the vehicle unattended for long, so the cable lock I carry will be enough for those times. Trying to keep it under $150. Any input would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    the front loader doesn't give me the best warm and fuzzies (compared to the highroller)....

so, I would go with the forklift.

code: mtbr2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent
    the front loader doesn't give me the best warm and fuzzies (compared to the highroller)....

so, I would go with the forklift.

if stable is important, there is no question that only the forklift is going to satisfy your needs.

Flat six
    Feb 2011
    Works for me, thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I got a Thule setup for the factory bars on my Explorer. then I also got a hitch rack. hoisting a mtb onto the roof of an SUV just isn't fun anymore. Thule and Yakima are pretty much equal in built quality, security and stability IMHO. and $150 is not a lot of cash for a quality bike rack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    another option is the Rock Mounts Tie Rod
    http://www.rockymounts.com/TieRod_p/1012.htm

another option is the Thule Sidearm 594XT
    Sidearm Instructions

Flat six
    Feb 2011
    I picked up the forklift from C&R, really happy with their service. Ordered late afternoon, shipped same day. Thanks!

I did have a bit of a problem with the forklift at first. It has three adjustments for the front clamp to adapt to different sized bars. The bars on my Subaru (03 outback) fell in between the 2nd and 3rd, the 2nd being too loose (bike could wobble a bit), and the 3rd being too tight. I picked up some thick rubber sheeting and cut out a couple of shims and now it's nice and tight. Just something to keep in mine if you're looking at the forklift and have an Outback. Other than that it's great. Easy to get the bike on, stable, no noticeable wind noise without the bike. Very happy.

Members who have read this thread: 0