Seriously considering a Ford Focus Electric... any owners?- Mtbr.com
    ballbuster

Seriously considering a Ford Focus Electric... any owners?

Hi all,

Like the headline says, I'm seriously considering a Focus Electric. I already found a manufacturer for a hitch receiver for the bike rack.

Are there any owners out there who would chime in as far as experience with this thing?

TIA,

-pimpster

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Hi all,

Like the headline says, I'm seriously considering a Focus Electric. I already found a manufacturer for a hitch receiver for the bike rack.

Are there any owners out there who would chime in as far as experience with this thing?

TIA,

-pimpster
    I test drove one last night. It's pretty dang nice...

but get this;

I just happened to be doing some field work where VW was having a press event, showing off the new cars. The VW Golf Electric car was on display. Swank!!

Somebody said MSRP might be around the $30k mark, in comparison to the Ford Focus Electric's $37k MSRP, and with more range than the Leaf or Focus. They say it should hit the streets around November as a 2015 model. It was also said that the batteries do not intrude into the cargo space at all, unlike everybody else's BEVs.

That November release date just might work into my plans. I certainly think it's worth holding off to see how that shakes out.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 05-16-2014 at 09:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Re: Seriously considering a Ford Focus Electric... any owners?

I would go with a tdi.. 50mpg and you don't have to charge it. And it comes in awd soon.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    $37k for a focus???? Even with tax rebates, that's still a pricey focus, and i just don't think you'll recoup the cost difference, ever.

Your best best is to get a plug-in prius, or plug in Fusion. The problem with electric vehicles is that they are just coming into their prime. They're developing faster than you're paying them off, so in 5 years you model with 76 max miles will be obsolete. Currently the push for faster charging technology and with TESLA building a battery plant with investor pushing for them to sell to other manufacturers, the 5 year outlook on electric cars is very different than it is today. More range and faster charging will plummet the resale value of your car.

Personally, i have a prius as my daily driver, and a subaru as my weekend car. I'll invest in a plug-in hybrid in another few years. My commute to work is just too far for an electric only vehicle.

Also, you have to keep in mind that when you get onto dirt roads, the torque required increases alot, so your range will diminish greatly. Good luck getting home after driving a few miles on secondary roads. ALso, freeway driving kills mileage as well, your 76 miles range how now dropped to 50ish on the freeway.

For $37k, i'd prefer a fusion plug in even though it only has a 20 miles range. How far is your commute each day?

ballbuster
    The Electric Focus has a three year lease deal for $230 a month with $2200 down. They have a $200/mo deal on the Nissan Leaf as well. I still have to read the fine print, but it sounds pretty dang sweet. Here in California, we have a $7500 state rebate (maybe that's state and federal, I forgot), and that is why the monthly is so cheap. Plus, car mfgs are pushing to get a fleet of them out there, so they are selling the cars close to their cost to build them.

Yeah, the TDi thing is sweet, and I might do that as well. We're a two car household, and my wife mostly works from home. This would primarily be used to haul myself to and from work, 25 miles each way, so the range is fine, especially if I can top it off at work. The dino-fueled car would be used for trips, weekends, outings, etc. and mostly by my wife to pick up the kids from school and local errands. When she drives her car without any commuting or special trips, she gets around three weeks out of a $65 tank of gas. If I run into mileage limitations on the lease, we can just trade off more.

Dirt road issue will never come up with this car. If I'm driving to a trailhead, I would take the other car.

I'm just trying to burn fewer dead dinosaurs. When I get solar on the house, an electric car won't hit my electric bill much from what I'm paying now without solar. As it sits now, I drop $65 a week at a gas station for just my car (Audi A4, 1.8 turbo, gets around 28 MPG real world), and still pay for oil changes, maintenance, etc. although, I don't pay for full insurance. My car isn't worth much, and of course you have to carry full insurance on a financed car. Electric cars hardly need any maintenance. Feed it tires, wiper blades and windshield fluid, and that's about it. When the three year lease is up, I can always upgrade to the latest and greatest electric, or go back to dino juice if I don't feel it's working for me. I'm less concerned about saving money than I am about contributing to carbon in the atmosphere. I know personal cars emissions are only a small part of that mix, but it's a small part I can do something about. Plus, I actually prefer driving an electric car. I love the crazy low end torque.

And yeah, I have to charge it, but that is less hassle than hitting a gas station. I just throw it in the garage and plug the cable in the side... Done. No special trips or stops.

From the few electrics I have driven so far (Leaf, Tesla Model S, Focus), I think the tech is pretty mature at this point. I would be hard pressed to tell I was driving an electric car, except for the lack of gears and motor noise. We're just waiting for the prices to come down. I'll bet in 10 or 15 years, it will be cheaper to buy a BEV than a gas car. They are way simpler, and apart from the huge battery, they are cheaper to build.... and the price of the batteries are getting way cheaper all the time.

But anyway.... Back to the original question:

Anybody actually own a Focus Electric who can comment on real-world experience? Is the range close to advertized?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Oh I C. Most of the depriciation is covered by the $7500 tax credit, nice trick by dealers to sell cars. $230 a month is dirt cheap, especially considering the fuel you save. Now it makes financial sense.

As for the 76mile range, those are under ideal weather and temperature conditions. Southern california is a perfect place for electric cars, with year round fair weather. In my neck of the woods, the winters kill all the mileage by about 4-5mpg.

ballbuster
    Ehrmagherd!!!

2015 Volkswagen E-Golf | PluginCars.com

I might hold off a few months.