Securing Bikes in an Open Pickup Bed?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Securing Bikes in an Open Pickup Bed?

I'm driving my truck down to San Diego and I plan on stopping at NorthStar and Mammoth for a couple days each. I'll have two bikes and plan on camping instead of getting motels in order to save a little cash. I hate to leave my bike out of my sight for very long so I'm trying to figure out the best way to secure it in the back of the truck during the times that I'm not riding it.
    I was thinking about just getting some of those bolt-down anchor points, drilling and adding them to the bed of my truck and then securing the bikes to them with cable locks. I know that if someone *really* wanted to steal the bikes, they could, but this is the best thing I can think of (short of buying a very expensive bike rack).
    Thoughts? What do you guys do if you need to leave your bike unattended overnight?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have never left my bike in my truck overnight so I can't help much there. But for hauling a bike in the back of a pickup I don't waste my time on racks, mounts, widgets, and whatever else people will say you need.
    I stand my bike with the front tire against the front of the truck's box. Then I run a camlock tie-down from each end of the handlebar to the corrosponding stakepocket of the box. This creates enough forward and downward pressure to hold the bike in place.
    I have been hauling my motocross bikes like that for 15 years. If it holds a 220 pound motorcycle it should darn well hold my bicycle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    try recrac.com you'll need a cable lock too but its a nice setup for open beds

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Thanks

Thank you, this is more like what I'm looking for. That's kind of a cool setup.

Members who have read this thread: 0