Securing bike on the roof- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Securing bike on the roof

Hi, do you have a way to secure the bike(s) on the roof of the car if you had to leave it, the lock on the bike carrier itself is not adequate.

I was thinking a thick cable through both bikes and through the stretch kit bars?

mtbr member
    Cable through the frames, wheels and bars should be good. Use a good quality cable like kryptonite or some other brand.

code: mtbr2011
    cable lock is really good....provided that the towers and bars are locked too..........

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    cable lock is really good....provided that the towers and bars are locked too..........

Good point!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorCyclist
    Hi, do you have a way to secure the bike(s) on the roof of the car if you had to leave it, the lock on the bike carrier itself is not adequate.

I was thinking a thick cable through both bikes and through the stretch kit bars?
    The sad reality is that no locking system can secure your bike from theft.

It takes a thief less than 30 seconds to snip, and defeat, any quality Kryptonite-type "Hardwire" or "Kryptoflex" cable lock....less than 30 seconds to steal your locked bike from your roof or car rack.

Bike forums are rife with stories of cable-locked bikes stolen from locked down roof and car racks.

ballbuster

When I ran roof racks...

I did an OnGuard U-lock through the rear triangle and rear wheel of the frame, pretty much making the frame useless unless somebody pops the lock with a tire jack... but that would be hard to get in there without ruining the frame in the process. Point is, it disables it as its own getaway vehicle.

Then I used a woven thick cable (like the KryptoCable), run through the sunroof or window, and attached to the Jesus handle or door handle inside the car. Yeah, those cables can be easily snipped with cable shears. A heavy hardened chain would be better, but I didn't have one at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambi19
    The sad reality is that no locking system can secure your bike from theft.

It takes a thief less than 30 seconds to snip, and defeat, any quality Kryptonite-type "Hardwire" or "Kryptoflex" cable lock....less than 30 seconds to steal your locked bike from your roof or car rack.

Bike forums are rife with stories of cable-locked bikes stolen from locked down roof and car racks.
    well, the point is to slow them down, or make it inconvenient enough for them not to bother. Petty thieves are by nature lazy. It's the hardcore thieves you have to worry about, but luckily they are actually pretty rare.

It's reasonably safe to make a trip in the store for a sixer of Sierra Nevada, or into the burrito place for some post ride calorie replacement. I wouldn't leave it on your car overnight like that, that's for sure... unless you are out in the boonies or camping at Sea Otter. Just make sure you use good quality locks (bolt cutter resistant disc type locks are best... hard to get the bolt cutters in there) and chains instead of cables.

Heh. I actually knew a guy who would regularly leave his bike on the racks of his SUV on a regular basis, secured with a Yakima cable. Dude was actually shocked they cut it and stole his bike. Duh....

...and don't trust the locks built into racks to do anything. They can be defeated with a big screwdriver and vice grips. Jam and turn... crack!!!
    Last edited by pimpbot; 09-22-2010 at 12:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I think I am going to get some of the thickest chain I could find and a giant lock, wrap it around the roof 3 times from interior to exterior, windows cracked open a little.
    then I will lace the chain with wire to a normally closed zone of my car alarm system, with 2 more decoy wires.
    I will leave a stroke light on the roof so everyone can clearly see the bikes flashing, lol
    That should take a little longer than 30 seconds to steal, right?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    I did an OnGuard U-lock through the rear triangle and rear wheel of the frame, pretty much making the frame useless unless somebody pops the lock with a tire jack... but that would be hard to get in there without ruining the frame in the process. Point is, it disables it as its own getaway vehicle.

Then I used a woven thick cable (like the KryptoCable), run through the sunroof or window, and attached to the Jesus handle or door handle inside the car. Yeah, those cables can be easily snipped with cable shears. A heavy hardened chain would be better, but I didn't have one at the time.

well, the point is to slow them down, or make it inconvenient enough for them not to bother. Petty thieves are by nature lazy. It's the hardcore thieves you have to worry about, but luckily they are actually pretty rare.

It's reasonably safe to make a trip in the store for a sixer of Sierra Nevada, or into the burrito place for some post ride calorie replacement. I wouldn't leave it on your car overnight like that, that's for sure... unless you are out in the boonies or camping at Sea Otter. Just make sure you use good quality locks (bolt cutter resistant disc type locks are best... hard to get the bolt cutters in there) and chains instead of cables.

Heh. I actually knew a guy who would regularly leave his bike on the racks of his SUV on a regular basis, secured with a Yakima cable. Dude was actually shocked they cut it and stole his bike. Duh....

...and don't trust the locks built into racks to do anything. They can be defeated with a big screwdriver and vice grips. Jam and turn... crack!!!
    Concur your post 100%.

That said, for the very very few times I had to secure the bike on the roof racks, I too used Kryptonite New York U-Locks and Kryptonite Cables to secure my bikes....all the time knowing that it would take an experience thief just seconds/minutes to score big time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I think I am going to get some of the thickest chain I could find and a giant lock, wrap it around the roof 3 times from interior to exterior, windows cracked open a little.
    then I will lace the chain with wire to a normally closed zone of my car alarm system, with 2 more decoy wires.
    I will leave a stroke light on the roof so everyone can clearly see the bikes flashing, lol
    That should take a little longer than 30 seconds to steal, right?

If I may suggest, add in a set of claymore mines for added security.

When positioning, remember to observe the instructions: "THIS SIDE TOWARDS BIKE THIEF".

mtbr member
    Both of those not thick enough, but as already said, even with the best locks and cables in the world, they can be stolen. But getting the best takes the longest to deal with, allowing you a larger chance to catch a thief red-handed.

Members who have read this thread: 0