Scratching my paint!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Scratching my paint!!

Just got a new Yakima bike rack and when I slow down or stop my bike slides forward and the fork scratches my paint. I drive a Scion Tc. Is there any way to make it so that the bike stays as far away from the car as possible? The rack has smooth bars without individual bike holders.

mtbr member

a little more information would be nice

You don't mention what sort of rack you have, how it goes on the car or how it holds the bike!...I'm guessing you've got a 'Little Joe'trunk rack or something equally cheesy that straps onto the back of your car?...all you can do is strap the bike to the rack so it doesn't move or put some foam or an old tshirt or something similar between the car and bike to prevent the scratching

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    yea it's just a basic bike rack that attaches to the back of my hatchback. two poles go straight out the back and the bike rests on them.

mtbr member
    That's why I went away from that style of bike rack. I now use fork mount roof racks or a hitch rack that just holds the front tire of the bike. A little more expensive but neither one touches the bike's painted surface.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorwheels
    yea it's just a basic bike rack that attaches to the back of my hatchback. two poles go straight out the back and the bike rests on them.
    i assume your bikes are hanging.

if you use a "hanging" style trunk rack the bikes will swing as you accelerate and brake which could lead to rubbing and scratching. That is just the way is goes with that type of rack. you might be able to tie them down to prevent this but much better bike transporting alternatives would be

roof racks with fork or upright mount (yakima viper or yakima king cobra)

or hitch mount TRAY systems (Thule T2, Yakima Hoopup)

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i assume your bikes are hanging.

I agree with you.
    Use iPod Software to discover your iPod.

Members who have read this thread: 0