Scion xD?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Scion xD?

Cereal Killer

Scion xD?

Does anyone have any experience with the xD? I'm thinking of getting one (cause I can get a decent deal on one), and am wondering if it is possible to get a bike in the back? Maybe with the front wheel off? Any pictures with a bike inside? Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chadmeeh
    Does anyone have any experience with the xD? Thanks

The exact question I wanted to post. We're returning to the US and I want to be a one car family. My wife will do a majority of the driving through the week, taking the kids to school, grocery shopping, etc. She can't drive a manual and I want an economical car to get to the trail heads on the weekends for mountain biking, hiking, and backcountry skiing in the Rockies. Impreza with an automatic? No, too expensive and not fuel efficient enough. The Scion xD looks like a winner on paper.

azstumpy

As an xB owner...

I gotta ask - Why wouldn't you go for the new style xB? More room, similar price, same great mpg.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by azstumpy
    I gotta ask - Why wouldn't you go for the new style xB? More room, similar price, same great mpg.
    MPG according to their website.

xB = 22/28

xD = 27/33

azstumpy
    Holy crop! That's a pretty big diff.

My gen1 xB gets 30/35, with the 105hp motor.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yep, they screwed up the new xB. It's now a Fashion over Function car.
    Last edited by minneSSnowta; 12-04-2007 at 08:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by minneSSnowta
    Yep, they screwed up the new xB. It's now a Fashion over Function car.
    I dunno about fashion over function, I just think they chickened out and decided to make something safer look wise. There is NO WAY we'd get rid of our 1st gen xBs (2) for a new one. The xDs are sweet though, but I dunno if a bike will fit in the back. I'd bet you could go to a dealership to look and try it though. I've done it before...

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by azstumpy
    Holy crop! That's a pretty big diff.

My gen1 xB gets 30/35, with the 105hp motor.
    The difference between 25 and 30mpg is only $300 is gas over 15k miles. Doesn't seem like a big deal in the grand scheme of things to me, especially if you need the extra space.
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

mtbr member
    I don't think that the monetary cost of gas is the primary concern of most people concerned about their gas mileage these days.
    Ride More

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CRogge
    I don't think that the monetary cost of gas is the primary concern of most people concerned about their gas mileage these days.
    That would be interesting if true but I doubt it. I'd love to be proven wrong though.
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bob
    That would be interesting if true but I doubt it. I'd love to be proven wrong though.
    Yeah, I probably rushed to that conclusion. Wishful thinking, I guess.
    Ride More

Cereal Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bob
    The difference between 25 and 30mpg is only $300 is gas over 15k miles. Doesn't seem like a big deal in the grand scheme of things to me, especially if you need the extra space.
    Where did you get these figures, or how did you come up with these numbers? I am considering the xB as well. And if this is true, this makes me reconsider a few other vehicles as well.

Right now, my truck is only getting approx. 15 miles a gallon, so to be able to spend half as much on gas on a vehicle with 30 mpg, that would be significant. So, no one with any actual pictures or experience? O'well, it's a cool looking car, but maybe not what i'm looking for after all.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    You can visit the EPA's site (www.fueleconomy.gov?) and compare the mileage figures and annual estimated fuel costs for almost any vehicle. The difference in annual gas costs really argues against replacing that '68 Dart with a new $15k econobox. That's a loooonng payback period.
    - Joe

Quote Originally Posted by chadmeeh
    Where did you get these figures, or how did you come up with these numbers? I am considering the xB as well. And if this is true, this makes me reconsider a few other vehicles as well.

Right now, my truck is only getting approx. 15 miles a gallon, so to be able to spend half as much on gas on a vehicle with 30 mpg, that would be significant. So, no one with any actual pictures or experience? O'well, it's a cool looking car, but maybe not what i'm looking for after all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The changes in MPG are because the EPA changed how they rate MPG

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/fuelec...2/article.html

Believe since 1986 the max speed was 58mph, now it is 70mph when they do the rating tests

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Different Gas Mileage

The reason why the newer scions gas mileage is down because the xB has a 2.4 liter a,d the xD has a 1.8 liter. The old scions had a 1.5 liter

I can put my bike in the back of my scion with room for two other crammed passengers. I am sure that you can squeeze in two bikes if you had a couple of moving blankets.

mtbr member
    I have a 2005 XB and average 32 mpg. I bought a quick hitch from U-Haul for $120 and mounted it myself without any modifications. Now I can carry 3 bikes and still have all of my seating.

Cereal Killer
    Well, looks like i'm going to go with the xB. The gas mileage might not be as great as the xD, but it's a far cry better than what I'm getting right now. Plus, according that fueleconomy.gov web site, the carbon emissions of the xB are a shade better than the xD. Plus, it looks pretty cool. And I can get a cold air intake to maybe boost the MPG up a little more.

Members who have read this thread: 0