Scion xB and similar vehicles- Mtbr.com
    650b me

Scion xB and similar vehicles

I'm a fan of the box on wheels concept. I have a 2009 Forester, which is a great car, but I can't stand the bikes up inside the cabin, even with the front wheels off and the seatposts lowered. By contrast, my wife's Honda Fit can easily do this!

But I want a slightly larger car for road trips. Can anyone tell me if the second generation Scion xB can accomodate bikes standing up in the back? I don't mind removing the front wheel, but prefer not to mess with the bike setup beyond that. Any other vehicle recommendations? I know the Honda Element can do this easily.

I'm not interested in slamming the roof-mounted bikes into a garage wall EVER again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Try the new Ford Transit. I can't believe i just suggested a Ford but its true. They've been around europe for a while and as far as I can tell they are sweet rides for what they are.

2nd Gen Xb are a joke. overweight and useless. and no you can't stand a bike up in them.

If you can get your hands on a toyota hiace they are sweet rides too.

mtbr member
    i am fairly sure the back of the XB can stand up a bike, it is DEFINITELY worth a shot to look at.

also why not consider an element? it has an interior that is sturdy and also has lots of interior room
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by golden boy
    I'm a fan of the box on wheels concept. I have a 2009 Forester, which is a great car, but I can't stand the bikes up inside the cabin, even with the front wheels off and the seatposts lowered. By contrast, my wife's Honda Fit can easily do this!

But I want a slightly larger car for road trips. Can anyone tell me if the second generation Scion xB can accomodate bikes standing up in the back? I don't mind removing the front wheel, but prefer not to mess with the bike setup beyond that. Any other vehicle recommendations? I know the Honda Element can do this easily.

I'm not interested in slamming the roof-mounted bikes into a garage wall EVER again.
    Why not get a hitch rack for your Forester? No roof rack to worry about low overhead issues, saves all the interior room for passengers and gear, will cost you $400.00 once instead of $400-$600 every month.

650b me
    Yeah, a hitch-mount rack is certainly the easiest, most cost-effective solution. I may go that route. I like the idea of having the bikes in the cabin and out of the elements, but even on a hitch-mount rack they would have less effect on wind drag and bug accumulation than being on the roof. Do they make locking hitch-mount racks?

mtbr member
    You should look at th Mazda 5. I have a Honda Fit and was looking at the
    Mazda 5, it the non mini-van, mini-van.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan0930
    Try the new Ford Transit. I can't believe i just suggested a Ford but its true. They've been around europe for a while and as far as I can tell they are sweet rides for what they are.

2nd Gen Xb are a joke. overweight and useless. and no you can't stand a bike up in them.

If you can get your hands on a toyota hiace they are sweet rides too.
    I have to disagree. We have 3 xB's our family and my friend has one as well. Very spunky car, can run 16.00 sec 1/4 mile. The seats fold down to haul a good amount of cargo. We actually fit a love seat in the back of my friends xB and was still able to close the hatch.

I don't see any problems with standing a bike up in the back as long as the front tire is off and possibly moving the seat depending on height and frame size. They have 41" of room from floor to roof per the spec sheet.

Your claim of it being overweight and useless has me confused, as you recommend the Ford Transit at 3470 lb curb weight, about 400lbs more than the xB. Not to mention it is terribly underpowered with only 136hp. I would hate to get it up to highway speeds in a hurry or drive it in the mountains. It does have good cargo capability and might be ok if you are just hauling two people and bikes on flat roads.

2010 Ford Transit Connect XLT Wagon
    Curb Weight: 3470 lbs.
    136 hp and 128lb-ft torque
    MSRP:
    From $22,350

2010 Scion xB
    Curb Weight: 3086
    158 hp and 162lb-ft torque
    MSRP:
    From $16,700

Old rigid hardtail
    Honda Element

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    the hitch pin is a 19mm bolt on mine. it would only slow thieves down, but you could wrap a chain around and lock it to the hitch?

the xb has nearly the same drivetrain as the xd

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GEARHEAD_ENG
    I have to disagree. We have 3 xB's our family and my friend has one as well. Very spunky car, can run 16.00 sec 1/4 mile. The seats fold down to haul a good amount of cargo. We actually fit a love seat in the back of my friends xB and was still able to close the hatch.

I don't see any problems with standing a bike up in the back as long as the front tire is off and possibly moving the seat depending on height and frame size. They have 41" of room from floor to roof per the spec sheet.

Your claim of it being overweight and useless has me confused, as you recommend the Ford Transit at 3470 lb curb weight, about 400lbs more than the xB. Not to mention it is terribly underpowered with only 136hp. I would hate to get it up to highway speeds in a hurry or drive it in the mountains. It does have good cargo capability and might be ok if you are just hauling two people and bikes on flat roads.

2010 Ford Transit Connect XLT Wagon
    Curb Weight: 3470 lbs.
    136 hp and 128lb-ft torque
    MSRP:
    From $22,350

2010 Scion xB
    Curb Weight: 3086
    158 hp and 162lb-ft torque
    MSRP:
    From $16,700
    lol @ ford transit, you just owned him, the xB or Element are great cars, the ford not so much
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    I have an 08 forester and i looked at both the Element and the XB last year when i was looking. I almost got the Element but the dealer wouldn't give me any thing for my tacoma. I took one look at the XB and walked away. It has allot less room inside then it looked. The forester has more space behind the seats to the rear door then the XB has. I don't know if that has changed with the new one. The Subaru also has a much better AWD system then Toyota or Honda.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    I have an 08 forester and i looked at both the Element and the XB last year when i was looking. I almost got the Element but the dealer wouldn't give me any thing for my tacoma. I took one look at the XB and walked away. It has allot less room inside then it looked. The forester has more space behind the seats to the rear door then the XB has. I don't know if that has changed with the new one. The Subaru also has a much better AWD system then Toyota or Honda.
    Yes, the new xB's have more cargo capacity than the older ones. It actually has a little more max cargo capacity than the Forester so that point doesn't hold true to the second generation xB's.

1st Gen xB (2007 -)
    Maximum Cargo Capacity: 43 cu. ft.

2nd Gen xB (2008 +)
    Maximum Cargo Capacity: 69.9 cu.ft.

2009+ Subaru Forester
    Maximum Cargo Capacity: 68 cu. ft.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by golden boy
    Yeah, a hitch-mount rack is certainly the easiest, most cost-effective solution. I may go that route. I like the idea of having the bikes in the cabin and out of the elements, but even on a hitch-mount rack they would have less effect on wind drag and bug accumulation than being on the roof. Do they make locking hitch-mount racks?
    There certainly is a higher "risk" element with the bikes outside the vehicle, but let's face it. If someone wants what you have they'll get it eventually. Check with your Home Owners Policy to see if they'll cover theft... I had Nationwide or State Farm years ago, some ass clown took the roof rack and bike that was locked to it (College days) right off the car... shoulda bought a locking mounts. My renters insurance wouldn't cover it because the roof rack was not "fixed" to the roof (i.e. not locked on or bolted). When I got my hitch rack for my truck, I made sure to use a locking hitch pin, and locked the bikes not only to the rack, but also to the hitch itself. Again, if someone wanted it badly enough they could get it, but that's no different than breaking a window and opening your door to take the bike(s).

650b me
    Thanks, everyone. Especially to Gearhead for the hard numbers. Hard to argue with those. I'm gonna take a look at the xB. My holy grail is the smallest vehicle with the largest interior space. My one-car garage is tiny. I can't get out of my Forester without banging the doors into the drywall.

Obviously the Element is the ultimate gear-hauler in the category. But I believe the xB has a better power-to-weight ratio, gets much better fuel economy and is thousands cheaper to boot. What's not to love? Well, I guess no option for all-wheel drive and lower ground clearance. I believe the lack of AWD can be overcome with good snow tires in winter. Can't do much about the lack of ground clearance, but I usually only end up on high-clearance roads once or twice a year anyway. Gooseberry Mesa, for example. I'd be making diamonds out my arse trying to drive a regular passenger car up there, although I did see a Camry up there!

mtbr member
    The traction control and stability control work surprisingly well on the xB. It handled 8" of unplowed snow pretty well, never got stuck (on factory tires). I would put a set of snow tires on it and should be able to take you on most roads, as long as it is so high as to drag the undercarriage. I have to agree about the Element being a good gear-hauler, but its only about 5 cubic feet over the xB.

2009 Honda Element
    Curb Weight: 3570 lbs.
    166 hp and 161 ft-lbs.torque
    Maximum Cargo Capacity: 75 cu. ft.
    MSRP:
    From $22,785

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GEARHEAD_ENG
    Yes, the new xB's have more cargo capacity than the older ones. It actually has a little more max cargo capacity than the Forester so that point doesn't hold true to the second generation xB's.

1st Gen xB (2007 -)
    Maximum Cargo Capacity: 43 cu. ft.

2nd Gen xB (2008 +)
    Maximum Cargo Capacity: 69.9 cu.ft.

2009+ Subaru Forester
    Maximum Cargo Capacity: 68 cu. ft.
    Over all that might be true. But i Definitely have allot more room from the back seats when there up to the back door. And i think when you look at CU.FT you have to ask how much is usable space i think the XB gets allot of that from a low floor and a high roof. I bet that my forester has more floor area when the back seats are down them the XB too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    Over all that might be true. But i Definitely have allot more room from the back seats when there up to the back door. And i think when you look at CU.FT you have to ask how much is usable space i think the XB gets allot of that from a low floor and a high roof. I bet that my forester has more floor area when the back seats are down them the XB too.
    Your are correct, there isn't as much luggage room in the xB. The Forester has about 11 cu. ft more, which is equivalent to about 12" of floor space (width). Not sure on the height from the floor to ceiling being taller, but if so then thats a plus to someone hauling bikes or anything tall for that matter. Really though, it comes down to if you are frequently hauling 4 people + lots of gear. If not, then its really not much of an issue as the seats fold down flat for a good amount of cargo room.

09 xB
    Rear Head Room: 41.2 in
    Luggage Capacity: 21.7 cu. ft.

09 Forester
    Rear Head Room: 40.4 in.
    Luggage Capacity: 33.5 cu. ft.

EDIT: Added some pictures for comparison

Seats Up:

Seats Down:

Last edited by GEARHEAD_ENG; 11-06-2009 at 11:19 AM.

mtbr member
    That was a big deal to me i wanted as much space as a could get with the seats up. I put bikes on the roof and every thing eals goes inside. So 3 or 4 wheels and every ones gear. Its also nice when my parents fly in to see me i can pick them up and have room for them and there stuff.

Members who have read this thread: 0