Scion Xa Hitch Rack??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Scion Xa Hitch Rack??

i have a 2006 Scion Xa, currently with a roof rack, and am considering a switch to a hitch rack. has anyone out there done this with their Xa or know of it?
    also a hitch mount seems hard to find. any leads?

thanks for any help!

Pivoteer
    Curt manufacturing makes some of the best hitches I have seen. Infact, I just put on on my 08 xD. This is a solid hitch, with no drilling. Easy DIY install.

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2006_Scion_xA.htm

I strongly recommend the Thule T2 rack if you have not chosen one yet.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Awesome!
    did you have to move the tailpipe or anything like that?
    how long did it take you to install the hitch?

Pivoteer
    I had to disconnect to muffler from the chassis, no big deal. Took less than 30 minutes to install. Very simple.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    Curt manufacturing makes some of the best hitches I have seen. Infact, I just put on on my 08 xD. This is a solid hitch, with no drilling. Easy DIY install.

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2006_Scion_xA.htm

I strongly recommend the Thule T2 rack if you have not chosen one yet.
    I've also been pleased with the quality of my Curt hitch, especially when compared to the others I've seen.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    do you feel that you save gas with the hitch rack??

Pivoteer
    Do I save gas? Maybe. But the advantages of a hitch rack are more to me than gas savings.

1. No worry about running my bike into the garage while on the roof.
    2. No rack to physically connect and/or damage the car
    3. Quieter. No noisy rack to distract me.
    4. Easier to mount and dismount my bike
    5. I can eaily remove the rack when not in use.

I will not do a roof rack ever again. The Thule T2 is such a great design.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    We sell a ton of xB hitches and racks for them, too. I don't remember selling any hitch racks for an xA specifically, but the same racks as the xB should work fine. If it were me, I'd either go with the Softride Access Dura, or the Softride Access Versa depending on whether you want 4 or 2 bikes respectively. The versa is newer, but the Dura pages on our site have a ton of customer reviews. We also have a couple videos.

We also have the xA hitch from Curt. The installation instructions are posted so you can see what it looks like and how it mounts.

Softride Bike Racks

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by HitchSource.com
    We sell a ton of xB hitches and racks for them, too. I don't remember selling any hitch racks for an xA specifically, but the same racks as the xB should work fine. If it were me, I'd either go with the Softride Access Dura, or the Softride Access Versa depending on whether you want 4 or 2 bikes respectively. The versa is newer, but the Dura pages on our site have a ton of customer reviews. We also have a couple videos.

We also have the xA hitch from Curt. The installation instructions are posted so you can see what it looks like and how it mounts.

Softride Bike Racks
    Hi HitchSource,

A couple of questions.
    - I'm considering buying either an 08 Honda Fit or a Scion XD. Got any pics of folks using either of the cars to hitch mount transport their bikes?

- Is a hitch easy to mount on the Honda Fit?

- I'm partial to the tray mount carriers like the Yakima HoldUp or StickUp. What do you have that's comparable?

- Is it possible to access the hatchback while the bikes are carried?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    srwings,

Yes, you can get hitches for both those cars.

Honda Fit Trailer Hitch

Scion xD Trailer Hitch

Unfortunately, we don't have any photos of those cars with bike racks attached (or even with the hitches installed for that matter). If you check out the installation instructions, it will give you an idea of how it mounts and what it would look like. The scion hitch design is almost identical to the xB, which we do have pictures of. See it here:

Scion xB Trailer Hitch

It is important to note that both hitches are class I rated. That means you're limited on how much weight you can carry. A general rule of thumb is to divide the weight capacity by two when you're carrying bikes. This is because the bikes are cantilevered out and put more torque on the hitch. I would recommend sticking with a maximum of two bikes to keep your weight capacity manageable.

Some of my favorite two bike racks with 1 1/4" hitch bars:
    Hollywood Pro Rider Hitch Bike Rack
    This rack has fork mounts and holds the bikes very stable.

Softride Versa Hitch Bike Rack
    This is the new model from Softride that has been a pretty good seller for us.

Swagman XC Hitch Bike Rack
    This one is a little more basic, but performs well and is very inexpensive.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by HitchSource.com
    srwings,

Some of my favorite two bike racks with 1 1/4" hitch bars:
    Hollywood Pro Rider Hitch Bike Rack
    This rack has fork mounts and holds the bikes very stable.
    I have the Pro Rider, and I really like it. I specifically wanted a hitch rack where you take the front wheel off for the overall width when the bike is installed, the increased security (I used 2 of my Yakima locking skewers), and the increased stability of the bike. I also sometimes run a cable through the hitch and rear wheel of the bike for even more theft-resistance.

The quality of the Hollywood rack is quite good, and the tilt features are very handy, allowing the rack to fold up when not in use, as well as fold down, so the hatch can be accessed when the bike is on the rack. I also really like the handle that tightens the rack in the hitch, making the mount even more stable.

One of my complaints about the Pro Rider is that they went with an oversize bar (compared to Yakima), so you can't use any of the Yakima mounts on the rack. I was hoping that I could mount my two Steelheads on their rack, but the bar diameter is too large.

Pic of my setup here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=4296794

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    here's a photo of an Xd with hitch rack (Thule T2) and bike.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=402086

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kylerodland
    i have a 2006 Scion Xa, currently with a roof rack, and am considering a switch to a hitch rack. has anyone out there done this with their Xa or know of it?
    also a hitch mount seems hard to find. any leads?

thanks for any help!
    Yesterday I put my deposit for the hitch on my Scion xA. I am getting it monday. The hitch is from curtis and they have plenty of hitches in stock. As you are aware, not many people put hitches on xA's. The roof rack is just ugly. The Hitch is costing me $220 + tax installed. The guy said that all he has to do is remove something on the bumper at the rest bolts on. I'll try to get some pics up on monday. I wouldn't try putting on a xB hitch. In case your wondering, I am planning on matching the hitch with a Thule (tool-ie) rack. The one that looks like a trunk rack. Me and my friends don't ride full suspensions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    awesome. i'd love to see photos.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks much!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I think that I am going with the Thule Roadway Four bike. Review are not bad on it; however, it does cost about $219. That is a little more than I wanted to spend on the rack too. Pics of the hitch its self will be up my monday or tuesday

Members who have read this thread: 0