Scion Tc Help- Mtbr.com

Thread: Scion Tc Help

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Scion Tc Help

So I have had my Tc for about 2 years now and love the car, not to mention I the thing has the crazy ability to hold all sorts inside of it. So far I have had everything from three 9' longboards to two bikes with the seats folded down. The only problem is I am sick and tired of constantly having to detail the interior of my car after a trip to the trails. So I am wondering if anyone else has had experiance with this car and adding maybe a rack or a trailer hitch. Something to get the bikes outside my car with out breaking the bank (being a student kind of kills the cash flow). What would you guys recommend a roof rack? Adding a trailer hitch? or maybe just one of those bike racks that strap to the back of your car? I would appreciate any input you guys have I cant make my mind up to which way I want to go.

Thanks,

Bollucks

mtbr member

so...

Yakima make a fit for the roof of your car. It's the Q-Tower system (around $300 with locks) and it's rated to 125pounds and the maximum length of surfboard you can put on there is 8'. Thule don't make a roof rack for your car.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    yes, there's a hitch out there. I know this because mine comes tomorrow.

http://www.hitchsource.com/classitra...h-p-27383.html

bought that, but off of ebay for $10? cheaper. Installing it right away when it comes in tomorrow

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the replies. After looking around a bit today I think I will most likely go with the yakima rack. Do you guys have any experiance installing these racks? I would consider my self mechanically inclined, so with any luck I can get it on there my self. Also does anyone have any experience with the Copperhead fork mount rack for the roof rack?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Go w/ the hitch rack! I got one on my Xa, no complaints!

igoslo
    I have a tC as well and went the Yakima route. I done two cross country drives with bikes on this car. I had to cut the bike rack mounting screws down about a half inch so that the sunroof would still open. Also, the fairing is the best post rack investment ever, so much quieter.

Just make sure you remember to remove your bike before entering your garage.

Dr Phil mmkay

Good Lord, man!!
    I've got an '08 black tC and about to complete my 42+lbs FR Transition DB.
    If I were to get a roof rack for the tC, would carrying a bike that's heavy as sin on there work? I've been keeping my XC bike inside the hatch and dirtying up my interior since I bought the car.

Cheers for the scion owners who bike!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ^owch^ that is why you should go with the hitch mount...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by puffdc
    ^owch^ that is why you should go with the hitch mount...
    what if you get hit from behind.

Dr Phil mmkay
    $500 for rear windshield and sunroof? or $2000 for rear bumper/hatch work/possible frame damage/F'ed up thousand dollars-worth of bike?

igoslo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Phil mmkay
    $500 for rear windshield and sunroof? or $2000 for rear bumper/hatch work/possible frame damage/F'ed up thousand dollars-worth of bike?
    Try $3600 for sunroof, hatch, and bodywork. Bike and garage faired just fine. I've no qualms about carrying my bike on the roof post accident, it's a mistake made by many and never repeated.

As far as the 42 lb bike, I wouldn't worry so much, my bike and my wife's weight 50+ together and no problem.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by bung hole
    what if you get hit from behind.
    Then someone else is responsible.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    what is the total height with your bikes mounted on your car?

igoslo
    Quote Originally Posted by garanda
    what is the total height with your bikes mounted on your car?
    Right around seven and a half feet for mine.

Members who have read this thread: 0