Sarris Bones RS/GTI - 3 bikes no scratches?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Sarris Bones RS/GTI - 3 bikes no scratches?

Guys, wanna get a rack for my '11 GTI - will the Sarris hold 3 bikes without scratching them up? Thanks

Elitest thrill junkie
    Pretty much no. Three bikes is NOT good for those types of racks, it puts way too much stress on parts of the car that were not intended for it. They will scratch over time for sure, but with three bikes you'll increase the wear on the bikes and car pretty fast. Too much leverage too far from the attach point. Those types of racks are intended as occasional use, like maybe once a month, or as temporary solutions, a vehicle that you don't usually use for biking or for a certain trip you need to supplement your roof or hitch rack. Best idea would be to find someone that makes a hitch rack for it. Either that or a roof system will be expensive, but the roof system will cost more in the long run due to less mileage even without bikes attached.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have the Saris bones 3, and I would not recommend it. While rack it's self has not damaged our cars paint the bikes all rub each other and the car. I have had to use pipe foam where the bikes contact to minimize damage, yet some how a few spots have had the paint rubbed right off the frames.

Also unless you have a pretty standard bike frame you will run into all sorts of mounting problems. My wife's 16" Trek will only fit on the farthest mount from the car. My GT I have to mount in the middle due to the triple triangle frame I cant use the anti sway strap to stabilize it, so I strap it to one of the other bikes. And my Daughters bike requires a top bar adapter that doesn't appear all that stable and lowers the wheels and pedals down to where they can contact the bumper and rub it.

I'm either going to get a hitch put on this or just go back to a truck.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I had one of these, and I do not recommend it. Scratched the paint on the trunk, and scratched the paint on my bike from rubbing. Is a 3 bike absolutely necessary? If so, hitch and a Saris Thelma 3 would be a decent option. I think that car only takes a 1 11/2" hitch, and I think that is the only 3 bike rack made for that hitch size.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks guys - a hitch isn't an option so I wound up getting the rs. With some careful placement and small towels I found I can use it without safely, though I appreciate everybody's concerns with it.

Members who have read this thread: 0