Saris Thelma 2 or Thule T2- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Saris Thelma 2 or Thule T2

I have a 04 Jeep Wrangler...Wanting a hitch rack for my Trek Fuel 8 and my wifes Specialized.

I cant decide between the two...I am like the 269 price tag on the Saris Thelma 2 though lol. Any recommendations?
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I vote Thelma. Two years with no problems on mine.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    The Saris is more than $100 cheaper than the Thule, and looks just as sturdy. I have the T2, and am happy with it. I wish I knew about the Saris Thelma though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Bought the Thelma 2 and brought it back the next day. I have a jeep wrangler snd the thelma wouldnt let me open my back door at all and couldnt fold the thelma up when not in use. It hit my spare tire. I also have 2.35 tires and they didnt fit right at all. Ended up coming home with the Kuat NV. Lools great!! They gave me 10% off so I took the bait lol
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    May 2009
    In my experience of using a rack about 260 days per year for two years....

Thule are build to last. Metal parts in the arm systems and hinge system (vs plastic like Yakima) and they sell replacement parts individually should you need them..(vs Yakima who make you buy a half rack for any parts)

Saris uses some lower quality but easier and cheaper to make stamped parts that are not of the same quality as Thules. If you use a rack once or twice a week this will not be an issue.. if you use a rack hundreds of times a year...it is a durability issue.

Seems to me that Thule set out to build a great quality rack and then priced it. Saris set a price point and then said.. ok lets see what we can do to bring a decent rack in at this price.

I have said this before..... is it worth saving a $100 on a rack when you potentially are putting $10k-$20K worth of bikes on it? If you buy the best rack you can afford, in the long run you will save money and maybe some heartache
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I shopped around and managed to get a T2 for $320 shipped about a month ago. I couldn't be happier with it.

Members who have read this thread: 0