Saris superclamp ex 4 bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Saris superclamp ex 4 bike?

Anyone have this rack? Iím looking for a quality 4 bike rack for the family.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Yes, It's very nice. Lightest 4 bike platform style rack. Can't covert back to 2 only rack but it's not really needed. Hard to hold really small bikes(16" or less) but do able.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have had it for almost a year now, replacing an older Thule T2 4 bike rack.

It has been great, for the most part.

Itís much lighter and shorter than the Thule was, which my wife and 12 yr old son appreciate. They can both lift and drop the rack without issue now. The entire rack is solid and well built.

Fitting 4 bikes on it takes practice to ensure that there is no rubbing between pedals and frame, handlebars and handlebars etc but is usually achieved with minimal moving of the bikes. Sometimes, a handlebar or two interfere with each other and a stem is loosened and turned slightly to mitigate the rubbing. That is more common when all four bikes are the same sizes but even then, I only had to do that twice.

The trays offer a little lateral movement which helps with the placement of the bikes. The ratcheting arms are very secure and the wheel straps on the trays are a little redundant and sometimes in the way when loading. They can be a little difficult to access when unloading as well.

I also like the integrated cable locks. Havenít had to test their toughness yet but a nice touch regardless.

Overall, I would recommend this rack to anyone looking for a four bike carrier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar-man View Post
    The ratcheting arms are very secure and the wheel straps on the trays are a little redundant and sometimes in the way when loading. They can be a little difficult to access when unloading as well.
    If you are using both wheel ratchet arms for a bike, you don't need to use the wheel straps as well because as you said they are redundant. The straps are provided because some bikes like BMX bikes may not fit in both wheel ratchet arms when there is also a mountain bike on the rack, so you can use one arm + one strap to hold the smaller bike.

https://youtu.be/DBOce14nW14?t=4m40s

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the info. I am glad that there is an explanation for the rationale of using them and I wonít feel bad for removing them.