Saris SuperClamp EX 2 and Bikes with Fenders and Front/Rear Racks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Saris SuperClamp EX 2 and Bikes with Fenders and Front/Rear Racks

Hi, all.

I'm looking for feedback from riders that have carried bikes with front and rear racks and fenders on tray-style, hitch-mount carriers. I'm looking at the Saris SuperClamp EX hitch-mount rack. The "challenging" bikes I'd be carrying include a Surly Ogre with the Gilles Berthoud stainless steel fenders, a Nitto Big (Camper) front rack and a Tubus Cosmo rear rack, and an REI Randonee with SKS fenders and a Blackburn MTN rear rack.

Saris' site and user manuals indicate the SuperClamp EX line is compatible with bikes with fenders, but no mention of racks. The Freedom EX 2 also supports bikes with fenders. I've contacted Saris, and while acknowledging the SuperClamp EX supports bikes with fenders, they have steered me toward the Freedom EX 2. The hesitation I have on the Freedom EX 2, a frame clamp model, is potential conflicts with other items I have attached to the tubes on my Surly, including a frame bag, and pump and a Click-Stand folding kick-stand.

Due to the weight of my Surly, I'm limiting my search to tray-style hitch-mount carriers. The only other vendor model I've come across is the Thule EasyFold 2, a frame-clamp model which would potentially offer more clamping locations than the Saris Freedom EX2, but is a larger mount in general.

Thanks in advance!
    Todd

mtbr member
    Depending on what coverage the fenders have on the wheel. The SuperClamp instructions state to place the hooks on the 2:00 and 10:00 positions on the wheels. So theoretically, the clamps can secure locations of the wheel beyond the fender.

The Freedom rack has wheel trays but secures the bike via the frame. Look into that if the fenders are extra long.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tk1971 View Post
    Depending on what coverage the fenders have on the wheel. The SuperClamp instructions state to place the hooks on the 2:00 and 10:00 positions on the wheels. So theoretically, the clamps can secure locations of the wheel beyond the fender.

The Freedom rack has wheel trays but secures the bike via the frame. Look into that if the fenders are extra long.
    Thanks for the response, tk.

I'm not as worried about the where the hooks would contact the fender / wheel area, but am actually wondering if the front and/or rear racks would interfere with the hooks, and I wouldn't even be able to position them over the fenders / tires.

mtbr member
    You can use the hooks to keep the bikes upright. These racks come with wheel straps so you can secure the bikes with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk