saris roof rack? who has them?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

saris roof rack? who has them?

does anyone use the saris brand roof rack? ive found lots of threads about the goods and bads of yakima vs thule but what about saris?

do they suck? ive seen them in person on a mini and they looked nice but.....what do you all think....?

Calm Like a Bomb
    does saris make a roof rack??...couldn't find any on their site http://www.saris.com/ ..i could be mistaken though...could only find truck bed, hitch, and trunk racks
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Saris has discontinued roof racks

They have stopped making roof racks (check the FAQ on their web site), however they still have plenty of spares and do provide support for them. I have gotten parts from them this year for my rack. You can still find new racks and parts being closed out from retailers.

I have been using the roof racks since 1996 and have been pretty satisfied with them. Make sure to get the new style fork mount if you have disc brakes. I remove the racks when returning from the trails and this is a 2 minute job (to put on or remove) with the Saris racks, not so with Thule or Yakima. I am using 3M auto paint protection film where the clips touch the roof line and have not had any paint scratching at all from the rubber feet.

The locking skewer design requires attention for proper use without damaging fork drop outs because it is keyed on one side.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

thanks

pipes:
    i knew they made them cause a bunch of retailers still sell them, but i as well was confused when i couldnt find them on the web site.

cleaner:
    if you were goin to buy a new roof rack would you get a saris even though they are
    discontinued?
    do they make a lot of noise?
    do you have a fairing? can you install a thule or yakima fairing instead?

its really the cheapest rack with locks....just seems to good to be true...

mtbr member
    I have a Saris roof rack that I bought in 1997. It has the most old school fork mount trays with no locking skewers, just a 9mm quick release axle. I had to cut a little bit off the front of the tray to clear my disc brake calipers, but that was no big deal. My bro also drove into the garage with his friends bike on it, so one of the trays got bent but I straightened it out best I could and it still works fine.

I would be very surprised to hear retailers are still selling them since they have been discontinued for at least a year now. That would probably explain why they are so cheap then. I have called Saris a couple times for replacement parts (they have a lifetime warranty) and they have always been able to send me what I needed.

To answer your questions:
    I would consider buying a new one as long as you are fine with only using fork mount trays and you can buy all necessary parts at the same time for a good price.
    Mine is pretty noisy, it makes a whistling sound from the grooves on the load bars.
    I don't have a fairing, you can probably make anything fit but I don't know how secure it would be, and I'm not sure how much it really helps with the noise.

Things I like about it are it is extremely easy to take on and off, I can do it myself in less than 5 minutes so I don't have to leave it on all the time, it doesn't mark up my car at all, and the load bars are really secure once attached.

That said, I am looking to reduce the use of mine for next year. Ideally just with a car I can put my bike inside of for trips by myself and then use the roof rack for other trips. I don't know how Saris has changed the roof racks over the years, if at all, but mine was definitely designed for lightweight XC and road bikes and is not as sturdy feeling when heavier AM or DH bikes are put on it (I use a fork adapter for my DH bike). The way the trays attach to the load bars in the front with basically just a small screw holding them tight is not that good, one screw broke on me and another keeps coming loose allowing the trays to wobble. Also the skewers on mine don't like newer forks like Fox or Manitou that have recessed dropouts with lots of knobs and stuff around them as this makes it hard to position and tighten the skewer. The trays also only hold up to a 2.35 tire, anything bigger and I have to let air out to squeeze it in. I am thinking about getting a Thule or Yakima upright bike tray and making an adapter to attach it to the Saris load bars if it is possible, but I haven't looked into it too much yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Yes I still would buy Saris especially with the discounts to be had.

I would still buy a Saris roof rack b/c I do not leave it on the car when not transporting bikes and it is the easiest to put on and remove. The last set I bought used ($90) for load bars clips and 1 fork mount still in use today.

The rack does generate noise when at highway speeds. You can minimize this by using the aero enhancement parts from Saris (basically rubber extrusions to cover the slots) or tape to cover the slots and other areas that "whistle".

I can not comment on the fairing, never used one.

I can confirm that the wheel trays will not accommodate most tires @ 2.2" wide or more. Also the daisy wheels can work their way loose over time but this can be fixed with thread locker or an O-ring to prevent loss of these parts. But should you lose them Saris will send new ones for free.

The only potential pitfall would be finding the right clips to mount on newer cars, chance are the clips exist but you may have to communicate with Saris engineers to find out which ones are the best fit for newer models. I did have to do this when I got my latest bike hauler (an 07 model).

Members who have read this thread: 0